It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

Signs of autism?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
Hannah2605
(female)

Hannah2605 HB User
Signs of autism?

Hi everyone. My first post on here
My son is 14 months old and I believe he is showing some signs of autism. I really want an outside point of view.
Signs are
He flaps his arms
He has no interest in other children
He doesn't point or wave but he does clap.
Doesn't look if I point at something..will just look at my hand.
He has an obsession with wheels or anything that goes around.
He hasn't said any words beside mama which he does not say to me..he will say it randomly whilst doing something.
Obsessed with a certain baby tv channel..he won't watch anything else but that channel.
He's very fussy with food and only eats what he recognises.
He does look at me in the eyes but no where near as much as a child his age should.
He doesn't respond to his name.
I took him to the doctors to get his hearing checked as my brother mentioned that he could be deaf due to him ignoring anyone that talks to him
He was sitting up early though..he crawled at 9 months and walking at 12 months. His physical development is fine.
And he does laugh and smile.
I just know that something isn't quite right.
He's in his own world most of the time.
He will literally take no notice of children..completely oblivious to them being there.

What does everyone think?
Are they signs of autism?
I really want to get him diagnosed early if it's autism.
Thanks everyone x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Signs of autism?

Hi Hannah,

There is no way to definitely diagnose a child with autism under age 18-24 months. Usually it is not diagnosed till entering school. Factors like how much the baby is around other children and interacted with makes a huge difference in any child's development.

Love him up and smile and talk to him and give him personal attention meanwhile, then see a doctor when he is a year and a half old and get an initial evaluation. You can help a baby develop by socializing with him yourself and always looking at him into his eyes, regardless what his diagnosis becomes.

Hoping for the best,

Last edited by YaYagirl; 02-21-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
davdt
(male)

davdt HB User
Re: Signs of autism?

I don't want to alarm you and you shouldn't be alarmed as shades of autism aren't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, some of the most successful businesspeople in the world exhibit autistic symptoms.

With that said, some of the stuff you mention sounds like autism. In particular, the lack of eye contact and the lack of social interest. But it also might be that you saw anti-social signs and read into a lot of the other stuff. Or it could be delayed social development.

Do any of his relatives/family display autistic signs? That would make me more inclined to look into it.

Anyway, best of luck and don't be too worried about it.

Reply Reply