It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• My 4 year old on Risperidal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
    butterflyman

butterflyman HB User
    My 4 year old on Risperidal

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with PDD, ADD, and ADHD. About a year ago her behavior was awful and she used to drive us nuts not being able to sit still, screaming, not talking, and throwing tantrums. Her Neurologist thought she should go on ADHD medication but it would keep her up at night. We did not want that, so he perscribed 1 mg of Risperidal before bed.

It really knocks her out and she goes to sleep after about 2 hours from taking the pill. I mean she is knocked out sleeping. It is great because she sleeps through the night and her behavior has improved and her language has also improved.

Over the past 2 weeks we are noticing some changes in her behavior. Like the tantrums are coming back and she is screaming at us again. Her pre-K teacher also mentioned this behavior to us. I was wondering if the risperidal is no longer working and If not, should we take her off of it?

Also wondering, If I can get her off the med at some point rather sooner than later.

Does anyone have Any information on risperidal and the effects on children this young?

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
    cymomtx

cymomtx HB User
    My son and daughter both take Geodon which is in the same family as Resperidal. But they also take concerta for the ADHD. It sounds to me as if your daughter might also need additional meds to address the ADHD. It was explained to me that the Geodon allows them to think for before responding and also help them with their language development.

Since my youngest started the geodon last month I have noticed that she is more ready to do her homework by herself without me pulling my hair out.

Old 11-22-2003, 08:32 AM   #3
    roge0001

roge0001 HB User
    Re: My 4 year old on Risperidal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflyman
    My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with PDD, ADD, and ADHD. About a year ago her behavior was awful and she used to drive us nuts not being able to sit still, screaming, not talking, and throwing tantrums. Her Neurologist thought she should go on ADHD medication but it would keep her up at night. We did not want that, so he perscribed 1 mg of Risperidal before bed.

It really knocks her out and she goes to sleep after about 2 hours from taking the pill. I mean she is knocked out sleeping. It is great because she sleeps through the night and her behavior has improved and her language has also improved.

Over the past 2 weeks we are noticing some changes in her behavior. Like the tantrums are coming back and she is screaming at us again. Her pre-K teacher also mentioned this behavior to us. I was wondering if the risperidal is no longer working and If not, should we take her off of it?

Also wondering, If I can get her off the med at some point rather sooner than later.

Thanks in advance
    You probably need to increase the dose. Check with her doctor. My son in 6 years old and takes 2 mg every morning and at night but it doesn't knock him out at all.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
    janett76
    (female)

janett76 HB User
    Smile Re: My 4 year old on Risperidal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roge0001 View Post
    You probably need to increase the dose. Check with her doctor. My son in 6 years old and takes 2 mg every morning and at night but it doesn't knock him out at all.
    Hello, I'm new.
    My son is 9 yrs old and it doesn't knock him out anymore either. He takes 0.5mg at night of risperdal along with clonidine o.1mg along with 3mg melatonin to sleep. He suffers from bi polar and mild autism(asbergers syndrome). In the morning he takes 10 mg focalin xr and that has helped his a/d/h/d. Perhaps the 4 yr old needs a different a/d/h/d/med. It took a long time to find the one that works with risperdal .

Old 12-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
    janett76
    (female)

janett76 HB User
    Smile Re: My 4 year old on Risperidal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflyman View Post

Does anyone have Any information on risperidal and the effects on children this young?

Thanks in advance

Hi
    My son is 9 and has been on risperdal for quite some time now for bi polar and mild asbergers syndrome. The risperdal knock him out at first for a bit, but not anymore. He has been doing well with it. He's on 0.5mgs. We were advised to put my son on it because he started reacting a bit violent at school on the playground. Since he has been on it, we've had nothing but good reports. My 4yr old son is starting to show the same type of behavior, but has not yet been taken in to be diagnosed. I suggest you go on line and look up risperdal and see what you find. That is how i found this sight.I don't know if i've helped, but i know what your going through. One of my kids is treated, one is not...yet. However my oldest is also being treated for A/D/H/D with focalin xr 10mg.

Closed Thread