It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• hello & cod liver oil/urecholine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2001, 08:55 PM   #1
    dylingtolearn

dylingtolearn HB User
    Question hello & cod liver oil/urecholine

Hello everyone. I am new to this board and have been researching again the subject of cod liver oil and urecholine treatment. I am a nurse so I feel comfortable administering this treatment. What I hope you members will be willing to share with me is positive and negative results from parents that have or are trying this treatment.

------------------
    Rosie
    Mom to Lisa (9)
    Michael (6-PDDNOS)
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2001, 06:43 PM   #2
    ronaldcrumpler

ronaldcrumpler HB User
    Smile

I just wanted to leave a little note about my son's experiences with urecholine. He has been on it now for a few months (late Jan.). He has had great luck with it. In conjunction with the cod liver oil, his spontaneity has increased a great deal. He is also on GABA supplements as well. I would definitely recommend this treatment along with a restriction diet. I wish you luck.

Old 03-24-2001, 01:01 AM   #3
    dylingtolearn

dylingtolearn HB User
    Lightbulb

Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think noone else on this board had tried the cod liver oil and urecholine.

Would you mind sharing with me other things that you noted changes in your son? What are GABA supplements?

------------------
    Rosie
    Mom to Lisa (9)
    Michael (6-PDDNOS)
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

Old 03-24-2001, 02:46 AM   #4
    TIM WIEGAND

TIM WIEGAND HB User
    MY SON IS 9 AND IS A HIGH FUNCTIONING NON VERBAL AUSTIC. WE GO TO THE DOCTOR NEXT WEEK AND I WILL TALK TO HER ABOUT COD LIVER OIL AND URICHOLINE. WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR THINGS TO HELP. HE DOES RECEIVE THE SECRETIN INJECTIONS AND THEY REALY HELP HIM. HE ALSO IS ON SUPPLEMENTS. RIGHT NOW THE TEST WE ARE DOING HAS HIM DRINKING DMSA 3 TIMES A DAY THE WE ARE TO COLLEST HIS FIRST 2 URINE SAMPLES. SHE SAID THIS DMSA WILL PULL ALL THE METALS OUT OF HIS BODY AND DURING THE TEST HE MIGHT START SPEAKING A LITTLE, THEN IT WOULD STOP AFTER YHE DMSA IS OUT OF HIS SYSTEM. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THE DOC SAYS.
    THANKS
    TIM

Old 03-24-2001, 06:01 AM   #5
    dylingtolearn

dylingtolearn HB User
    GOOD LUCK Tim. Did you find any information about cod liver oil off of a search engine? That's how I found this message board and decided to reply to posts about cod liver oil. They were old posts but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask other parents out there if their children has tried this regimen. There is a DAN doctor out there by the name of Woddy McGinnis and if you do a search on cod liver oil you'll see a post from him telling about cod liver oil and urecholine. Maybe you could print it out and see what your doctor says.

If I may ask...does your son get any form of ABA? You mentioned he is high functioning and that he gets secretin infusion, if I may ask, you mentioned they help...how so? How does your son like drinking the DMSA? We haven't ventured "down that road" yet. I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I am a curious type as well as a nurse so I naturally want to know results and how things work.
    One more question and I PROMISE I won't ask you another one on this reply to you. You also mentioned your son is non-verbal...I imagine that's difficult for you but can he echo any sounds? Have you heard of Verbal Behavior Therapy?

PLEASE let me know what the doctor says. I'll be thinking of you and your son.

BEST WISHES : )

Rosie
    Mom to Lisa (9)
    Michael (6-PDDNOS)
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

[This message has been edited by dylingtolearn (edited 03-24-2001).]
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

Old 03-25-2001, 07:04 AM   #6
    dylingtolearn

dylingtolearn HB User
    Thanks for your reply "firstdonoharm2".

I have done quite a bit of research on this study. I have even gone so far as to order Dr. Megson's parent packet but was disappointed that it was information already available on websites...including hers! I am more interested in the outcomes from parents' mouths currently...this is the reason I have posted about this topic.

------------------
    Rosie
    Mom to Lisa (9)
    Michael (6-PDDNOS)
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

[This message has been edited by dylingtolearn (edited 03-25-2001).]
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

Old 03-26-2001, 10:37 AM   #7
    TIM WIEGAND

TIM WIEGAND HB User
    ROSIE

MATT DOES TAKE DMG I THINK IT IS A KIND OF ABA.

THE SECRETIN HELPS MATT HAVE MORE EYE CONTACT, NOT AS IRRITATED WITH CHANGES, AND HE SEEMS TO STAY ON TASK WITH SCHOOL WORK AND ACTIVITIES AT HOME AND CHURCH. HIS TEACHER AND AID COULD TELL A BIG DIFFERENCE THE COUPLE OF TIMES THE SHOTS WENT PAST 7 WEEKS. WE SCHEDULE THEM 6 TO 7 WEEKS DEPENDING ON OUR SCHEDULE.

WE JUST STARTED THE DMSA SUNDAY THE FIRST 2 DIDN'T GO SO GOOD BUT WE ARE FIRM ON MATT HE KNOWS HE HAS TO TAKE IT SO THE NEXT THREE NOT SO BAD ONLY 4 MORE TO GO. IT SMELLS REAL BAD!!!!!!

I HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE THERAPY BUT WILL LOOK INTO IT. MATT SAYS IN A VERY SOFT AND NOT SO CLEAR MOM, NO, YA OTHER THEN THAT HE USES SOME SIGN., BUT HE DOESN'T KNOW ALOT OF SIGN.

THANS AND I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS.

THANKS
    TIM

Old 03-29-2001, 02:27 AM   #8
    TIM WIEGAND

TIM WIEGAND HB User
    BACK FROM THE DOCTOR AND HIS INJECTION WENT VERY WELL DIDN'T FIGHT IT AT ALL. RHONDA HIS DOCTOR WAS ILL SO THEY HAD A NURSE DO THE INJECTION, I LEFT THE INFORMATION AND ASKED THEM TO GIVE IT TO RHONDA. WE GOT BACK INFO. ON HIS STOOL SAMPLE TEST AND HIS GOOD BACTERIA IS REAL BAD SO WE STARTED A NEW SUPPLEMENT ULTRA FLORA PLUS. HIS YEAST WAS REAL GOOD HARDLY HAD ANY IN HIS SYSTEM DIET WORKS WONDERS. THEY SAD THEY WOULD CALL WHEN THEY RECEIVE THE RESULTS BACK FROM OUR DSMA TEST.
    I'LL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE WHEN EVER I CAN.
    THANKS
    TIM

Old 03-31-2001, 12:55 PM   #9
    ronaldcrumpler

ronaldcrumpler HB User
    Sorry about not writing back sooner but I only have access to this e-mail address on the weekends. GABA stands for Gamma-aminobutyric acid and is classified as an inhibitory neurotransmitter. According to the information sheet that I received with my order, GABA does the following. GABA is suppose to have a tranquilizing affect, improve sleep, and stimulate secretion of human growth hormone. It may help to prevent anxiety and stress and is also used for individuals with epilepsy and ADD.
    So far Matthew is found to allergic to wheat, yeast, milk, sesame, cranberry and tomatoes (Pizza is his favorite food). Just, recently, he was found to have a yeast infection as been deficient in a number of vitamins (riboflavin, Vit C, etc.). Beacuse of these conditions, he has been taking Cod Liver Oil, urecholine, GABA, Probiotics and Yeast control. As far as his improvements... Matthew (age 7) has began to express his opinion. If he doesn't want to do something, he will tell me NO. Even though this can be frustrating, it is wonderful that he can tell me. Breaking his routine has not been provoking tantrums from him as it has in the past. He has been teasing his sister and has begun to "tattling" on her. He also has been testing his limits with myself and my parents. For example, for breakfast, his almond milk contains alot of meds (very bitter). If he drinks all of his milk, he can have bacon which he loves. Before he would comply but now he will sneak his hand very slowly to the napkin where the bacon is, with a grin on his face. Matthew is been improving with socialization. Before his medications, he would play by himself. Now he interacts with other. He still has problems answering direct questions. I still provide appropriate answers for him to choose from but it is improving. I honestly do not which med has been helping him the most or whether it has been the combination of the elimination diet and meds. If you haven't looked into allergy testing, I would read up on it and ask your physician. I hope I gave you some helpful information. Take care.

Old 04-01-2001, 02:25 PM   #10
    dylingtolearn

dylingtolearn HB User
    Tim,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. It has been a busy week and this week is not any better.

Anyway, Our son use to take DMG then we switched him to TMG (both are dietary supplements). He doesn't need to take them anymore so the only dietary supplements he gets now are SNT (the vitamin) and cod liver oil (also a dietary supplement).

ABA stands for "Applied Behavioral Analysis" . There are a couple types of ABA I am familiar with. Our son gets Behavioral therapy based on Ivar Lovaas' studies and I am getting further training in Verbal Behavior Therapy (VBT) based on B.F. Skinner's analysis of verbal behavior. Both therapies are very effective in teaching our kids to socialize, learn, imitate, play and function as best as a typical child can depending on the child and the child's therapy team.

Glad your son's doctor appointment went well.

Take care,
    Rosie
    Mom to Lisa (9)
    Michael (6-PDDNOS)
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

[This message has been edited by dylingtolearn (edited 04-01-2001).]
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

Old 04-01-2001, 02:33 PM   #11
    dylingtolearn

dylingtolearn HB User
    Ronald,

Thank you for your reply.

We will be getting our son tested for allergies and gluten/casein. So we'll see.

------------------
    Rosie
    Mom to Lisa (9)
    Michael (6-PDDNOS)
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim
    Nicole (4)
    Wife to Jim

Closed Thread