It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Autism/Lyme Disease connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2001, 04:59 PM   #1
    emilysmom

emilysmom HB User
    Post Autism/Lyme Disease connection

Hi All,

I've posted messages on the old boards and received wonderful support. This is an update on my daughter and my conviction that Lyme Disease is responsible for her Autism diagnosis. Just a little background. When my daughter turned three last May (2000) she came down with Lyme Disease. She was treated with 21 day of antibiotics. During that time she started with bizzare fears and strange language. She started to have many sensory problems and became much more picky about the foods she ate. Worried, we took her to a neurologist. During the appointment my daughter went into hysterics at the thought of standing on the scale. A physical examination was impossible. After speaking to the doctor for 45 minutes she blurted out that our daughter is Autistic. After many sleepless night studying her videos I finally put the Lyme/Autism connection together. Convinced this was the cause of her problems I researched and tried to convince many a doctor this was so. Finally, almost a year to the day she got Lyme, I was able to find a doctor that would agree. Emily had tested positive for Lyme two times after being treated initially. She has been on high dose oral antibiotics for 2 months now and is a different child. She no longer has the strange fears and phobias. Her sensory problems have diminished greatly and she is now telling me what she did in school and asking me questions! This is a rare situation but if my story can help just one child it will be worth all the pain we've gone through. I realize that most cases of Autism are not caused by Lyme but I just want to get the word out there. If I had taken the neurologists word for it, I would hate to think of the outcome. Lyme is known as the "Great Imitator" and they are finding people with MS and ALS who acutally have Lyme. Karen Seroussi was able to find the cause of her son's problem and now I was able to find the cause of my daughters problem. Hopefully this can help some children and please feel free to e-mail me. Thanks to everyone who has listened to me and offered support! I can't express how much it's meant to me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread