It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Looking for other parents

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2001, 02:40 PM   #31
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Sorry Jo I realized I had typed the wrong number after I had already posted, please forgive me, 3 is quite enough. Jt does hold both forever and when goes, whew!!!! Look out. Glad you got back to me. Talk to you again soon. By the way you are lucky to have your rock. My ex doesn't have alot to do with Jt other than to disrupt. Have a good night.
    Sherry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2001, 05:35 PM   #32
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Hi Sherri! I just realized that I hadn't really answered your last post about Jt and sleep. He does better now than he used to. I just have to make sure he doesn't take a nap and usually he will go down at around 9 or 10. Of course that is not always a given. Ha!Ha! I wanted to also talk to you about your apprehension with sending Keith to a new school. Jt was sent to a different school last year and I was so afraid. I have to admit I didn't really like the school, but I am glad I did send him because if I hadn't I would have always wondered if I had made the right choice. That school was a regular elementary with an autism program. I was really disappointed with the way the program was ran. I put Jt in this school because it just offered so much more. The school he is in now is still a public school but it caters to only special needs kids only and he is just thriving there. He gets to do things he never has before and I just love everyone there. He has been going to school since before he was 3. I also loved the preschool program he was in and his teachers. I was so traumatized last year when we switched schools, and even more so when I saw he wasn't getting what he needed and no one seemed to care. So I guess what I am trying to say is, give it a chance, and make them give him an aide, and then monitor, monitor, monitor. I think it is so much harder for us parents than the kids. I think it is because we have to trust someone we don't really know and because our little men can't tell us it is really scary. Everyone knows me at his school and really in this system because I make sure I am always around. Well I have to run for now. Give your kids a big hug from Jt and me. Talk to you soon.

Old 04-18-2001, 05:37 PM   #33
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Hi Sherri! I just realized that I hadn't really answered your last post about Jt and sleep. He does better now than he used to. I just have to make sure he doesn't take a nap and usually he will go down at around 9 or 10. Of course that is not always a given. Ha!Ha! I wanted to also talk to you about your apprehension with sending Keith to a new school. Jt was sent to a different school last year and I was so afraid. I have to admit I didn't really like the school, but I am glad I did send him because if I hadn't I would have always wondered if I had made the right choice. That school was a regular elementary with an autism program. I was really disappointed with the way the program was ran. I put Jt in this school because it just offered so much more. The school he is in now is still a public school but it caters to only special needs kids only and he is just thriving there. He gets to do things he never has before and I just love everyone there. He has been going to school since before he was 3. I also loved the preschool program he was in and his teachers. I was so traumatized last year when we switched schools, and even more so when I saw he wasn't getting what he needed and no one seemed to care. So I guess what I am trying to say is, give it a chance, and make them give him an aide, and then monitor, monitor, monitor. I think it is so much harder for us parents than the kids. I think it is because we have to trust someone we don't really know and because our little men can't tell us it is really scary. Everyone knows me at his school and really in this system because I make sure I am always around. Well I have to run for now. Give your kids a big hug from Jt and me. Talk to you soon.

Old 04-18-2001, 07:43 PM   #34
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    Hi Sherry!

I know exactly what you are saying about the school/change situation. I have learned from past mistakes that change CAN be good and that everything always works out and if I don't like it, I can raise enough h**l and get him out of the situation. I don't know if JT is like this, but I always know when Keith is not happy because he will cry. For example: My cousin's wife kept Keith for me the year he was 4 (I didn't send him to school because I had no after school care for him that I could afford). Anyway, they had twins that were about 2 or 3 then. If I left our apartment complex and turned right, going towards their house, he'd start crying. If I turned left, he'd be fine. He would calm down for a while, but when we would get to her house he would start crying again. Me, being the human I am, thought that was a GOOD thing that he was finally showing emotion. Couldn't have been more wrong! Eventually signs that he was being mistreated started showing up. (i.e. bruised ears, bite marks, etc) I just blew it off as 'normal' kid behavior although none of it was ever explained to me by her. When I met my current husband he immediately said "Those kids are torturing him". I felt like someone had stabbed at hot knife into my heart. I couldn't believe I had been so oblivious to the situation. To this day he has never cried again when he goes to school or anywhere else. I do not speak to my cousin or his wife because I feel like she allowed this to go on and did nothing to stop it. Add that to my long list of regrets. Anyway, sorry to babble so long, just trying to make a point (the long way around) that #1) I will know if Keith isn't happy and #2) I will keep my nose stuck in stuff enough to know if he is in good hands. I just pray that his aide is patient and kind. I would hate to have to kill someone. (he he..just kidding!) Thanks for the info on the Kennedy Kreiger Inst. I checked out their website throughly and I am giving the ladies name and their number to his speech therapist next Wed. She will see him 4 days a week this summer and we're going to bombard him with some intense therapy and see if there is any improvement. Would definately help my case against the school system for getting him an aide who is trained to do ABA. I know, I'm probably dreaming, but hey, like you said ask for the moon and see what they offer. One more question, and then I'll shut up...while doing the ABA does JT get angry and resist the therapy? If so, how do you diffuse that situation? I know that the book I have says "Do not take NO for an answer" and no matter how mad they get or how much they cry, keep going. The crying/resistance is supposedly because they are 'getting it' and don't want to.

Ok, I am going now...4kidz, if you're still around, we'd love to know how you're doing. Hope all is well for everyone! Hugs and Kisses to all!!

Sherri.

Old 04-18-2001, 08:04 PM   #35
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    Ok, I lied. Not intentionally though..just wanted to say HI to Jo and welcome her! My hat comes off to you for having three kids to tend to, much less three with ASD. Love the 'nappies'. I guess you're referring to what we call diapers over here. Neat. Good Luck with the potty training!!

AND..

Sherry, I wanted to ask you if you give JT vitamin b6, magnesium, DMG, or any other vitamins recommeneded on the Autism Society's website. I am thinking about trying them to see if it will calm Keith's 'strong will', but I'm not looking for miracles. Just wondered if you or anyone else for that matter had any input on them.

Ok, I'm really shutting up now!! Take care ladies!!

Sherri.

Old 04-19-2001, 08:44 PM   #36
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Smile

Hi Sherri,
    No I don't give JT any vitamins at this time, I just really limited his dairy intake and we do a sensory diet with him to help with his stimming behaviors. I also just took him off of his secretin this week to see how he would do without it and he is doing great. His teacher called me last night to tell me how well he has done this week and I was so happy. I was really worried that he wouldn't do as well. He is so funny anymore, he trying to be so independent and is into everything, it is like having a 100 pound toddler. ha! ha! I was curious do you have an email address that I could write to you at. While I love this message board sometimes it is hard for me to type on it at work and truthfully that is usually when I can. If you don't want to give it out on the board I understand, I just thought I would ask. I am curious about Keith, does he have any sensory issues at all? Jt doesn't particularly care for soft foamy things, like shaving cream or pudding, but loves bubble baths. Of course here lately he has even been doing much better with that. I will try to write more to you later. I am really tired and think I am going to call it a night. Hugs and Kisses to you and your kids. Talk to you soon.

Sherry

Old 04-20-2001, 06:19 AM   #37
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    Yes, Keith has tons of sensory problems. He will not eat anything cold or mushy. He won't eat any kind of fruit except bananas. No ice cream, etc. He doesn't like shaving cream, etc. He LOVES bubble baths..that is his ending to his hard day...a nice LONG bubble bath He's so hard to buy for so everyone gets him clothes or Mr. Bubble for special occasions. He is very sensitive to touch. Just curious, what is the sensory diet? I have never heard of that, but it sounds interesting. One thing I have learned with Keith is that if he's hungry enough, he will eat just about anything, but fruit. He will 'test' foods by touching them with his lips. If they don't 'feel' right, he won't eat them. I am trying very hard to make him eat them because once he realizes that it all he's getting, then he'll eat it, but the inbetween time can get pretty ugly.

I'm going to to run some errands while he's in school. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you. Let me know when you get my e-mail address and I'll go back and edit it out of here. Don't know who might get it and what trouble they might cause. Of course, I am married to a computer nerd who does security work (tracing hackers, programming, etc) so he'd track em down and shoot em.

Take care!! Hugs and kisses to all!!
    Sherri.

[This message has been edited by eweejoe (edited 04-20-2001).]

Old 04-20-2001, 07:19 AM   #38
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Talking

Hi Sherri,

I got your email address so hopefully you can edit it off now. We are having problems with our email system today at work so if I can't send you one from here, I will as soon as I get home and give you a way to contact me.

Keith and Jt sound more and more alike everyday. Jt doesn't really like icecream, or fruit either. He will eat applesauce and just in the past 2-3 months has started eating diced peaches. He also is beginning to eat green beans and brocoli but they have to have ketchup on them (Yuck). I figured though if it will get him to eat a vegetable then he can put what he wants on it. Ha!Ha!

The sensory diet is for kids like ours. He gets brushed with a surgical brush on his arms, legs, back, and stomach. This makes him really alert. They also give him all kinds of textured objects to handle. For example he may play with shaving cream on a desk or go to the sand and water table to play in that. They also use a Nuk brush in his mouth to help stimulate the tongue and the inside of his cheeks. It seems to help him. They also use the deep pressure to help him find his center of balance and to make him feel more secure. He loves that. I will email you later. Hope you have a great day.

Sherry

Old 04-20-2001, 08:43 PM   #39
    shanteygirl

shanteygirl HB User
    Wink

About potty training... I have two kids, both with autism. My daughter Veronica is eight and my son Forrest is six. Veronica is more profoundly autistic with very little speech, while my son is very high functioning. And for some strange reason it took BOTH of them until the age of five and a half to potty train!

How I potty trained Veronica How could I praise her and show her she was doing the right thing when she wasn't doing it? So, I paid attention to what time of day she usually made a bm, and at about that time I put a glycerine suppository in her. Not five minutes later she'd have to go, and I made sure she was on the toilet. After a couple jars of suppositories, she started to get it. It took her a while, but now she is potty trained. Now we're working on wiping.

The interesting thing about Forrest potty training. The first few times Forrest made a bm on the toilet he was almost in a panic. I never did figure out why, but I suspect he was so used to doing it in his pants that anything else felt too strange. I have no explanation for his potty training. Just when I thought it would never happen, he happily started going in the toilet.

Hope the suppository turns out to be a good suggestion for someone else!

------------------
    Cheers, Margo

Old 04-21-2001, 11:11 AM   #40
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Smile

Hi Margo! Thanks so much for the information about your kids for potty training I really appreciate it. Jt does really well with a bm, but occasionally "slips". For some reason he prefers to stand. I can normally tell when he is going to do a bm but it is the urinating that I can't always catch him. Do either of your kids let you know when they have to go? I would love it if I could figure out a way to get Jt to give me some kind of signal or something. Right now we put him on the potty about every 30 minutes or so. They even do it at school, so eventually we are going to figure out when he goes. He just doesn't go the same time every day. I would love to hear about your kids. My son is 7 and is considered profoundly autistic too. He is doing really well right now and seems to be doing something new everyday. What type of program are your kids in? You said that Forrest is high functioning, does he attend a regular class with an aide or is he in a special class. My son goes to a school with all special needs kids and quite honestly I am glad now. He gets so much more attention and therapy than he did before.

Well hopefully I will hear from you again. Thanks for the tips, take care.

Sherry

Old 04-21-2001, 11:12 AM   #41
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Smile

Hi Margo! Thanks so much for the information about your kids for potty training I really appreciate it. Jt does really well with a bm, but occasionally "slips". For some reason he prefers to stand. I can normally tell when he is going to do a bm but it is the urinating that I can't always catch him. Do either of your kids let you know when they have to go? I would love it if I could figure out a way to get Jt to give me some kind of signal or something. Right now we put him on the potty about every 30 minutes or so. They even do it at school, so eventually we are going to figure out when he goes. He just doesn't go the same time every day. I would love to hear about your kids. My son is 7 and is considered profoundly autistic too. He is doing really well right now and seems to be doing something new everyday. What type of program are your kids in? You said that Forrest is high functioning, does he attend a regular class with an aide or is he in a special class. My son goes to a school with all special needs kids and quite honestly I am glad now. He gets so much more attention and therapy than he did before.

Well hopefully I will hear from you again. Thanks for the tips, take care.

Sherry

Old 05-24-2001, 09:27 PM   #42
    4kidz

4kidz HB User
    I AM BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!! ..nope the 4 kids didn't kill me... but moving almost did! I have sooo missed being able to hear what you guys have been up to and how the kiddos have been doing!It has been a wild and crazy month for us.. on april 19th we were supposed to sell our house and 2 hours move into this one.. but it didnt go as planned.. we sold our house and went through a bunch of papershuffling with Fleet for the mortgage.. long story short.. it took 3 weeks to move in.. luckily we had vacation plans already.. so we only had to live out of a hotel and with family for a week.. then they let us move in here (our new house) and pay rent... ugh.. and Jake did unbelieveably well through all the changes.. SOOO.. I am still unpacking and we just got our internet hooked up.. (one way cable modem) .. so HERE I AM!! Jake absolutely loves the new neighborhood.. (we moved because we were on a main road) The bonus of this place is.. we are near powerlines! (Jakes favorite!) He loves to go for walks and stand under them and make puckering noises.. its too cute.. Plus the neighbors have a great swing that he loves to go on..(ours can't be put up until we knock some trees down and put up our fence) .. to corral the little rascals! Anyway.. I am so glad to be back on here and reading whats been happening in your lives.. We had Jakes IEP meeting and it went great! His OT was sooo exuberant in talking about Jake.. everyone at school really loves him..I heard that his new teacher next year (3rd grade) is thrilled that he is in her class. she has heard soo much about him (all good I hear!!) I think I had last told you that I was trying to see if they would keep him back .. so that he would be in a familiar environment since he is doing soo well.. I talked it over at the IEP and they reassured me that going to 3rd grade will be an easy transition for him. His aide from this year will be his aide during the summer at the new school.. this will help him be able to adjust to the new school.. during the summer when the school isnt totally filled with students.. I think this is a great idea.. since this is how we transitioned him into school when his dad and I got married and they moved here.. Well.. I just wanted to fill you in that I am still around.. I still need to finish reading some of the posts on here to get updated on you all.. but not tonight.. the kids will be up early tomorrow.. so I better go.. oh .. also.. in this neighborhood Jakes aide lives! She stopped by the other night walking her dog.. I feel soo truly blessed.. talk to you all soon..

[This message has been edited by 4kidz (edited 06-04-2001).]

Old 05-25-2001, 04:43 AM   #43
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    Smile

Glad to have you back. I was wondering in one of my other posts where you'd gone. Glad to hear that all is going well for you guys and Jake. Sounds like he's getting the best love and care he could possibly get. Since you were here, I have started Keith on DMG. I just recently started it, so I don't really have much to tell about it. It has seemed to calm him when he's hungry. He normally is very aggitated and throws stuff over the gate into the kitchen or gets mad and whines. I didn't say anything about it, my hubby mentioned to me that he seems more patient, but I'm afraid to be too presumptuous, so I'm taking it slow. I'm adjusting his dosage right now. Started with 2-125mg tabs a day (in the morning) for about 2 weeks. Not much change. Uped it to three less than a week ago. I think if I go up to four I'll do two in the morning and two in the afternoon. It has not made him hyper at all or made him lose sleep, but of course with Keith, nothing much does make him lose sleep.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. So very glad to have you back and to hear how good things are going with Jake and his loving family.

Take Care!

Sherri. (YES, that is my real name..he he)

P.S. Got your e-mail addy!

[This message has been edited by eweejoe (edited 05-25-2001).]

Old 05-25-2001, 05:26 AM   #44
    jtsmom

jtsmom HB User
    Cool

Hi Ilene,

I am so happy to hear from you too. I had wondered where you had been. That is so great about Jake's school and his aide living in your neighborhood. Oh before I forget I have your email now too.

Been lots going on here but I will save it for you later. I am at work right now so I have to be quick.

I am really happy you're back. Talk to you very soon.

Sherry

Old 06-26-2001, 07:58 PM   #45
    B-Man's Mom

Talking

Hi, I just wanted to relay my success story with the potty training bit. My son is 6 1/2 and just last week pee'd in the potty for the first time ever. (Boy were we excited!) We started by putting underwear on him for short time periods. This was over a year ago. Over time when he got to put a diaper on we would make him sit or stand at the potty. He never wet his pants and got to where he would tell us when he needed to potty. His routine was, we would go into the bathroom and he would stand at the potty and count. Of course, he NEVER pottied. Then he would turn around, we would put a diaper on him and make him stand up to the potty again. He would then potty in the diaper. After a year of knowing he could hold his own, I got fed up. Three weeks ago I hid every diaper in the house. He got up at 6:30 am and we put underwear on as usual. At around 10:00 he said he had to potty. We went in to the bathroom and did our thing only when he turned around for the diaper I gently replied that I didn't get to the store and we were out. He was just going to have to potty in the toilet today. Well he just pulled up his pants and went about his business. This went on all day. At 8:00pm he still hadn't pottied all day! He was very mad, very full, very uncomfortable and bulging in the bladder area. Of course, I was feeling very guilty. I put him in the bathtub just hoping he would pee in there :-) no such luck. So I broke down, got a diaper but I cut a hole in the front of it. When he pee'd then and it became saturated it dripped into the toilet. He was shocked, I was happy and we celebrated the fact that he made some "drips". The next day it was the same thing, no diapers until I had to. Another hole and more drips. Ok, little success is better than no success. Over the next 2 weeks the holes got bigger and the diaper got smaller. I cut the back and the front tabs off of the diaper. He was basically peeing through a square pad with a big hole in it. We had the same diaper pad for a week because he wasn't getting it wet at all. One day he did get it wet and I decided to try something new. I cut a hole in a small baby washcloth. He used it without any argument. Then we went out for the day and low and behold I forgot the wash cloth. We went into the bathroom and, of course, he wouldn't just pee in the pot. So I resorted to tearing a hole in a paper towel. Guess what, he used it without argument. That very night before going to bed he actually let a little fly before I got the paper towel to him. Needless to say, we hooped and hollered and he finished. We had gifts for him, celebrated with a "B pee'd in the potty party" at Chuck E. Cheese and he's done it every since. Now we just have to work on the Number 2. :-) We'll do it it just won't be quite on time!!
    Good luck. Hopefully you can try some ideas and have the same success

------------------

Closed Thread