It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Is DMG good for Autism???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2001, 11:44 PM   #1
    krisyd
    Inactive

krisyd HB User
    Question Is DMG good for Autism???

Has anyone ever heard of DMG??? Does it have any harmful effects? I know it increases the immune system by 300%. Could it help with an IgG dificiency? Please fill me in. What are good immune boosters to use? My baby hasn't had 7 immunizations would DMG help him from possible exposure risks? He is only 8 months. What about my 3 year old with Autistic spectrum disorder would this help his leaky gut syndrome?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
    whatstheodds

whatstheodds HB User
    i would be interested to hear what dmg is
    i'm sure someone will be along soon to enlighten us.

jo.

------------------

Old 03-19-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
    Jamesmom

Jamesmom HB User
    Hi. For info on DMG(Dimethylglycine) you can visit the Autism Research Institute website at [url="http://www.autism.com."]www.autism.com.[/url] I have been giving it to my 3.5 year old ASD son for over a year, and I have seen very positive results in better attention, focus, and his all around health.
    He was forced to go without it for a few weeks over the xmas holidays when my supplier ran out, and his attention went down hill and some old stims(eye-stimming) that had dissappeared, returned. It took a month to get the DMG back into his system, and my son back to the way he was before. It had taken a month to take effect when we first started. I hope this helps.
    Sandra

Old 03-30-2001, 10:41 PM   #4
    no_longer_sad

no_longer_sad HB User
    Hi,
    Can you tell us about the dosage? I'm eager to hear how often you give him DMG, and how long before you noticed the changes.

Thanx,
    Sam

Old 04-25-2001, 10:16 PM   #5
    krisyd
    Inactive

krisyd HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi No Longer Sad,
    The DMG has been wonderful!!!!! My son is talking in great language form. He really speaks great, and has been having conversations. I only give him 1-2 tsps. a day, but was told he could have up to 4 tsps. You could call Kirkman lab at 1-888-kirkman for more info. Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2001, 09:58 PM   #6
    Tired2ru

Tired2ru HB User
    We get our DMG at the Health Food Store. Almost any Health Food Store carries it. It is very common. My son also used to take DMG and it helped alot. It was one of the 3 most effect therapys/diets ever for us. The most common DMG form is in tablets. They are very small and sweet. Even the most sensitve tongue cannot till it has been added to thier juice or whatnot. My son took only a half a tablet. Whenever we increased to a full tablet, he would do more screaming. 1/2 was just right for him. BUt that web page that Sandra gave is a great one. Same one I use to forward info to people. It should say how much ect. on that page if I remember right. It is considered a food source, not even a vitamin, so I don't know how their could be risks with it. ??
    Hope it works for ya,
    Sandy

Old 04-30-2001, 08:19 PM   #7
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    I ordered the DMG capsules from Kirkman's and must say I'm disappointed. I knew that my son would never swallow a capsule, but read that they could be broken open and sprinkled on food. They are very bitter tasting and he will not take them, nor will he eat food with them on it. Kirkman's has the liquid, but not the tablets, which I thought would be easier to hide in food since they are supposedly so small. Does anyone have any info about the liquid? My son will not drink juice, only milk or water, OR soda of course, but I don't let him have a lot of it, so I don't know what I would mix the liquid in, but am very anxious to try this on him and see if it will help him at all. He won't eat applesauce or pudding, or anything like that. Also, does anyone know why it can't be given any other time but at night? Is it the fear that it will keep them from sleeping? I did manage to get some in him yesterday morning with a TON of maple syrup on his waffles, but with him going to school at 7:25 in the morning and him no wanting to eat until around 9:00 or 10:00, that is not do able right now. He'll be out in a few weeks though. Oh, and it didn't affect his sleeping at all. Down at 9:30 and I had to wake him for school this morning at 7:00. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2001, 09:30 PM   #8
    Tired2ru

Tired2ru HB User
    Just grab a box at your local health food store. The tablets are so small and turn into a drop of liquid. You don't need to hide it except that he will see it. There is no bitter taste and actually tastes and looks like those little sachrin (sp?) fake sugar pills. Then you can drop it in his milk or what ever. My Josh can tell when the makers change their ingredients of his vitamins and whatnot. His tastes are very sensitive, but he could not tell this was in his food. We only used a 1/2 tablet, and it never mattered when we gave it. Just so that it was regular so we remembered it. I would put the 1/2 tab. in a cup and add his juice (we use the small cups) and put the other half in another cup for the next day. Ofcourse it was liqued the next day...no matter..still worked out fine. Good luck. (I don't know why kirkman has a bitter taste. It shouldn't... is it pure DMG?) Sandy

Old 04-30-2001, 11:49 PM   #9
    krisyd
    Inactive

krisyd HB User
    Smile

The DMG I have from Kirkman is liquid. The reason they suggest that you don't give it at night is due to the possibility of increased energy, keeping the child awake. I personally wouldn't give it to my boys at night out of fear that they would stay awake. I was wondering if you all are doing the GF/CF diet? If I was even to give my son a tablespoon of maple syrup, which contains 54 grams of sugar, he would has regressive behavior. Currently he is doing great on the extremely restricted diet, which includes no, wheat, gluten of any kind but corn, milk or milk products( whey, casein, lactose, ect. ), soy of any kind, eggs, ***SUGAR*** ( increases yeast overgrowth and Candida produces a neuro-toxin), I limit the sugar to what ever he gets a day through his watered down rice milk, and one apple, one banana, and one half of a wheat free, gluten free, dairy free cookie which amounts to 4 grams of sugar. All the carbs he gets eventually turns into sugar, so I am trying to really be conservative with sugar. We also avoid yeast. We also have to avoid all preservatives, dyes, and artificial flavors. As I have said before my son is a definate success story, but the whole treatment plan is a BANDAID. Until a cure is found for his intestinal problem, he will have to remain on thios diet for the rest of his life. He does great for a while until he gets offending foods, than he begins to regress. One or two things don't usually have a long term offending effect, however, if it is wheat, gluten, soy, or sugar, it doesn't take more than two days of a few items and my son begins to regress. I don't have him on the enzymes daily, yet. I just wanted to share with anyone out there that is interested in seeing the full benefits of this diet. Believe me if your child is like mine, damaged from the vaccines, and has the ultimate intestinal allergies, you will see incredible results within a 2 week peroid. But for Michael, just GF/CF doesn't elliminate the autistic symptoms. He is has a real problem with citric acid, due to the intestinal problem with metabolizing. This too causes regression. The first week will be difficult with the die off reaction from yeast, which causes the increased behavioral episodes, and possibly lethargy. However, it is crucial to get through this first week without giving in. I can tell you for a fact that my son will be able to attend a regular classroom as long as he is on this diet. Currently he is losing all his services because he is meeting all his requirements for his age. Again, it is due to God's will for him, first, and the diet and supplements making a huge difference in his life. I can't stress it enough, please give it a try. THere is an incredible amount of potential in each one of our children, we just hold the key to opening that door. Prayer always makes a difference, as well. I have lived many months with frustration, but outside of the extra grey hairs, I pulled through, and learned a great deal about autism. Now I wish to share with other parents that may not be aware of the dietary plans being slightly different for each child.I'd like to see them all benefit. I suggest that if you want to know where your child stands with the food intolerances and or allergies, get the 90 food allergy panel from either Great Plains or Great Smokies lab. This is a great help in knowing exactly what to remove form the diet. God Bless You All

Old 05-01-2001, 05:20 AM   #10
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    Thanks for the replies. I will definately go to the health food store and try to find the tiny DMG tablets. As for the diet, my son's autism is not caused by a vaccination injury. He has no allergies and no immunity problems. He's healthy as a horse and happy pretty much most of the time. No temper tantrums, etc. His autism is secondary to Tuberous Sclerosis. I had just read about the DMG a few weeks ago at [url="http://www.autism.com"]www.autism.com[/url] and thought I would try it out, as I feel there is nothing to lose.

Thanks and Good Luck to you all!

Sherri.

Old 05-12-2001, 10:29 PM   #11
    Baddbonz

Baddbonz HB User
    I wanted to chime in on the DMG. I have been using the liquid DMG from Kirkman Labs for only a few days. However, i purchased the new version, which contains vitamin B12 and Folic aid. See, when DMG is digested it somehow reduces the bodies Folic acid level, which in turn can cause hyperactivity. SO the Folic acid is added to negate that. The B12 aids in the digestion/absorption of the DMG and Folic acid. This liquid form is supposed to be given in the morning.
    I also have Kirkman Labs' SuperNuThera waiting in the wings. I will be trying that out in a couple months.

Old 06-21-2001, 05:37 AM   #12
    Sarmor

Sarmor HB User
    I gave my son DMG for a while, but because he was also on medication, it was difficult to distinguish what was helping him. Not to advertise for them, but we got DMG from Vermont Mountain Naturals. They are very tiny, quickly dissolving, barely any taste (slightly sweet). My son had no problem taking them. It might be worth trying this form of DMG.

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 06-22-2001).]

Old 06-22-2001, 12:08 PM   #13
    Rose Alles

Rose Alles HB User
    My 9 year old was on DMG (powder form) about 5 years ago. I didn't see much difference but then I don't know how much he absorbed since it made him vomit. I know of at least 1 other child it had this effect on. If you try it, I hope it works for you.

Old 07-02-2001, 08:53 AM   #14
    GERRI0867

GERRI0867 HB User
    My daughter of 4 was recently diagnosed with ASD, I am so thankful I found this site. I am looking for help. she has behavior issues such as alapping herself, biting family.Her diet is limited to strawberry yogurt,milk, chocolate donuts,and peanut butter and jelly.I have attempted potty training but she not at all receptive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Closed Thread