It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Can autistic adults have normal children? Can autism be passed on?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2001, 03:55 PM   #1
    brandonwayne

brandonwayne HB User
    Post Can autistic adults have normal children? Can autism be passed on?

I have am in an interesting situation. I have an older brother and sister, and a younger brother who are autistic. Somehow it must had skipped over me or something or i just could be a high functioning--i dont know. But, anyways, if i were to have kids, what would be the odds of any of my offspring coming out autistic--since my siblings are?

[This message has been edited by brandonwayne (edited 07-14-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2001, 01:13 AM   #2
    cheryl_b_1

cheryl_b_1 HB User
    I am a firm believer that autism is triggered by vaccines in those who are genetically inclined to be susceptible. So in my opinion if you do not vaccinate your children they wont aquire autism.

Old 07-15-2001, 07:17 AM   #3
    Rose Alles

Rose Alles HB User
    From what I understand, there is a very complex set of factors that determines if someone will have autism. Because there are so many types of disorders in the autism spectrum and because there are probably many different causes of the different types of autism, there is no way of determining at this time. Try contacting the Autism Research Institute (they're on the internet.)Also, Duke University is doing a genetic study on autism but I'm not sure when it is scheduled to be finished. Please check the post titled "Want to contribute to autism research?" if you'd like to help.

Old 07-15-2001, 09:48 PM   #4
    Diane2boys

Diane2boys HB User
    From what I know, they cannot be sure that it is heriditary but they (the doctors) suggest that there is a greater % chance that you can have children with Autism if it runs in the family.

------------------
    "Act mindfully. Accept entirely. Move strongly. Think softly. Speak beautifully. Live simply. Love completely." Anon

Old 07-15-2001, 10:15 PM   #5
    cheryl_b_1

cheryl_b_1 HB User
    Question

Question Tired,
    Were your children not vaccinated ??? I am curious....

BTW, I do have an NT child...completely NT. No behaviors, no compulsions, extremely intelligent. But my non verbal child is intelligent too...he just has no communication and that limits his abilities in most areas.

Old 07-16-2001, 10:53 AM   #6
    eweejoe
    Inactive

eweejoe HB User
    Smile

You might want to have your doctor refer you for genetic counseling. They will be able to answer all of your questions and probably give you some odds before you have children as to what % of a chance you have of having an autistic child.

I have an 8-year-old, Non-verbal, profoundly autistic son and a 2-year-old (she'll be 3 Sept 3rd) daughter who has had all of her vaccinations and she is 'normal'. Just like Cheryl's, she has no signs of autism, no behaviors, nothing.

If you've got 3 siblings who are autistic I would say that the odds could be stacked against you and maybe if you didn't vaccinate your children they might not develop the autism/problems that some children do but I doubt you'll find a geneticists who would even agree with that theory. You sorta have have make your own call on that one and decide if you believe your siblings could be autistic due to immunizations.

Good Luck and Best wishes in whatever you decide!

Take Care!

Sherri.

[This message has been edited by eweejoe (edited 07-16-2001).]

Old 07-20-2001, 09:21 PM   #7
    Twinteror1

Twinteror1 HB User
    It can be inherited in our case in was caused by an inverted duplication in chromosome 15. All 3 of my kids have the dup15 but are at diffent levels of the spectrum for Autism. We are still waiting to find out which of my parents passed it to me. So my advice beings that you have so many in your family is to have some genetic testing done. You may be surprised by the results.
    Best of luck
    Deb C.

Old 08-01-2001, 08:37 PM   #8
    stetty

stetty HB User
    My good friend has an autistic son and she was told after genetic testing that she carried it and passed it to him, and that if she had another son there was a 50% chance that he too could be autistic.

Closed Thread