It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• DMG Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
    Lisa in Indiana
    Inactive

Lisa in Indiana HB User
    DMG Questions

I was hoping to ask anyone (but "alltheanswers" specifically) how the vitamin therapy is working. I read in a previous post that you had found a liquid called Behavior Balance. I was wondering how it was working for you. Is that combo dosage the same a taking it all separately (i.e the B6, mag, dmg alone). I am very interested in starting my daughter on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
    alltheanswers

alltheanswers HB User
    Re: DMG Questions

Hi Lisa,

I started my daughter on the DMG formula about 10 days ago I think. I had to since re-start the clock due to a mistake on my part. The bottle said to start with 1/2 TBS and I misread this as 1/2 tsp (teaspoon). I was giving this to her for about 4 days when I finally noticed my mistake! Duhhhh ;-) Anyway, she's been taking the correct amount of the DMB formula for about 1 week now. So far so good. I haven't told anyone about the new "treatment" - not her pysch nor her school - a kind of double blind test I guess. I got a report from her teaches last week that they had notice a slight improvement in both her behavior and in her verbalization. I continue to thank the Lord for everything.

Now with that being said, I haven't noticed a really big difference myself at home yet. After reading the reports about the B6/Mag vitamin treatments from dozens of case studies, I was expecting a pretty sgnificant change. Her meltdowns have decreased dramatically however! This may be due to a number of factors however the biggest factor may be that we've reduced the amount of time she spends alone by herself after she gets home from school. This is when she starts having meltdowns. The Adderall leaves her system around 2-3 pm and that causes depression. When she's alone, she talks to her "other self" and gets herself upset. So, I take her to the playground after school everyday and that helps to distract her from herself. I think the vitamin therapy is helping in that regard because the decrease in meltdowns also coincided with the vitamins.

Now after further reading the B6/Mag papers I ordered through the Austism Institute in San Diego, I saw that I should really be giving her about 250 - 500 mg a day of B6 and 125 - 250 mg of Magnisum. Well the DMG formula only supplies 30 mg of B6 and 30 mg of Mag. This is because this formula was designed more for behavior, social interactions, and stress as oppose to autism. So, over the past 5 days, I added 250 mg of B6 and 125 mg of Mag for her take along with the DMG. According to the research, taking DMG as well as the B6/Mag will have even a greater affect.

It's too early to tell what effects this is having yet. Depending on your child, you should see results anywhere from 5 days to 6 weeks. Although I haven't see the huge improvement yet in her speech and social interactions, the vitamins at least have not had any negative side affects whatsoever. My belief is, it can only do good and not harm anyway so why not give it a try.

The study says, if you don't see any significant improvements after 6 weeks, stop giving the mega doses of B6/zmag because the child is more likely in that 45% range of kids who didn't see any benefits of the megadoses of this vitamin combo and probably don't have a deficiency in these vitamins in their body. The paper says to slowly up the dosage to 500 mg of B6 after 7-10 days so I'll start giving her 500 mg of B6 and 250 mg of Mag starting mid this week.

I'll keep you all posted on her progress at least once a week and I'm expecting good results from it. Of course, prayer works as well!

Good luck with your child and I pray that whatever you try will work for your child as well!

AllTheAnswers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-31-2004, 04:17 AM   #3
    Lisa in Indiana
    Inactive

Lisa in Indiana HB User
    Smile Re: DMG Questions

Thanks for replying so fast. I am considering giving my daughter the vitamins as soon as I can locate them. I was most interested in a liquid form because she just turned 3 last week. So, she isn't going to swallow any pills. I was concerned about exactly what you just posted. I had also seen were the dosages in the liquid were well below the recommended dosages. At this point, I am willing to try anything to help her. She also has daily episode's of "meltdowns". I need to find a way to decrease these as well. Sometimes it's hard. I also have 5 yo & 10 yo girls to still take care of and meet their needs as well. I have nothing BUT my faith to sustain me. That is the only thing that has kept me hanging on during these very dark days. Now that we have an actual diagnosis, we can move forward and help her in anyway possible at his point. Did you by any chance try the GF/CF Diet with your daughter? If so, has that done much good? I need to hear from other parents that have walked the road before me. I feel like I don't know where to begin. Should I consult with a nutritionist, someone that specializes in biomedical intervention, an allergist? My pediatrician doesn't have a clue. I diagnosed my daughter before he did. I took her 3 times in the past 2 years about my concerns over her delay in speech and development and tantrums. He just gave me the 'ole "now, now mother" speech. I just went around him and got in touch with a local Program called First Steps. Are you familiar with them? And the rest is history as you well know where we have landed. I thank God I went with my instinct and didn't listened to my doctor. Thanks for the encouragement, and anything else you can add, I would be so grateful for.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
    alltheanswers

alltheanswers HB User

Hi Lisa,

Well the vitamins are easy to find. You can just go to any local drugstore however I found to get the high megadosage ones, your best bet is to go to a health food store. This is where I found the DMG liquid and the vitamins with the large dosage amounts that I couldn't find at Osco or Dominics or Walgreens. In another post, it was suggested that an alternative to giving your child separate B6 and Mag. vitamins (which are pretty large in size, even when crushed) is to go with something called super NU Thera - which is flavored vitamin formula specially formulated for autistic kids. This was suggested by the autism research institute (pulication ARI 39G which I ordered from their website). It has the sugested amount of all of the vitamins that the dozens of research had concluded were the right amounts bsed on all of the studies they've done over the past 20 years. I plan on ordering this as they have both liquid, tablet, and pill forms of this vitamin I believe. I'll contact them tomorrow to find out more.

In terms of your daughter not swallowing pills, my daughter has the same problem. She wants to chew everything. So I brought a pill crusher from Osco to crush the pills and then I cover it in her favorite pudding (I'll get to the GF/CF diet in a second) and she swallows the pudding along with the powder. Applesauce would work as well. If you can find something that won't immediately dissolve your meds like this (jello would work too but the child would be able to see the discolorization and may not take it), try doing this when you have no choice but to use a pill form of your meds. The only pill my daughter chews is the Clonidine tablets as they must taste good to her.

I have not yet tried to put her on any restrictive diet as of yet but I'm affraid that will be the next step I take - and she will not like it at all! I didn't want to change too many variables with these "experiments" I'm conducting. I will try the vitamin approach 1st for 6 weeks and document any improvement. She starts summer school a week after her regular schools finishes (this week) so I'll check with the school on a regular basis on how's she doing w/o telling them about the vitamins (they already know about the meds of course).

In regards to your daughter's meltdowns, I'm definitely feeling you there! We've had to deal with them for many years now but the good news is that her meltdowns have greatly subsided over the past several weeks. We've never had an 8 straight hour episode however - yikes! The good news is that as she gets older, assuming nothing else changes (and I'm sure they WILL for you), she will have less meltdowns solely because she will be maturing and will be able to have a better ability to communicate her needs. This is what we found with our daugther. The meds help as well of course.

I can't remember if you mentioned what exactly your child was diagnosed with and what meds she's taking but our daughter has been taking adderall (for ADHD), risperidal (for her emotional outburse, psychotic episoles), and Clonidine (to help her sleep and counteract the hyperactivity and emotional stress resulting from the adderall side effects). The adderall is the one that somewhat controls her emotional outbursts but it also causes them as the medicine leaves her system around 2-3 pm.

Here's what I would like to suggest for heaing off the meltdowns if you can catch it before it happens. Our daughter signals her impending meltdown by whining at bit - usually when she wants something that we can't give her. No matter how many times we tell her she can't have it, she just continues to ask for it and gets louder and louder. Another signal is that she alks to herself and actually gets herself upset. She talks in two voices - one is the authoritive voice that tells her what to do and the other is the whinning one that complains about doing what the other voice is telling her. So when either of those conditions begin, we try to distrat her with doing some of her favorite activities - like doing puzzles or taking her to the playground or by doing ANYTHING else. Usually it works - if we catch it early. But once she's in full meltdown mode, there's nothing you can do but let it play out and pray for patience!

In your daughter's case, try to find what triggers the meltdowns first and then try to replace it with her favorite activity. Whatever you do, try not to always give in to her demands if she's demanding something that's inappropriate. This is where my wife and I sometimes have disagreements because she has a very low tolerance for crying so she usually gives in to her demands. Hopefully this will work for you. We also have her see a behavorists but this guy unfortunately does not know a lot about autistic kids so his sugestins are more for a normally mis-behaving child.

One other thing. We never even tried going to our pediatrian for any of this. We first had a neurological exam and then we went to a child psych who specializes in abnormal behaviors and autism, etc. for the meds. It's a good thing you ignored your ped! They are not trained in this area so don't be too hard on him/her ;-)

How come I can't seem to send shorter length posts like everyone else! I'll have to work on that :-) I think I talk too much but on the other hand, it may be several days before I can get back on this board so maybe I'm trying to give as much info as I can...

let me know if you have further questions and I'll try to answer them in a much shorter manner. Ha! Ha! I'm stuck at home today due to all of the rain we've been getting her in the Chicagoland area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
    Lisa in Indiana
    Inactive

Lisa in Indiana HB User

thanks for all the info you provided. just having this place to come and read is a true blessing.

I read about super Nu-Thera as well. Kirkman? I was considering placing an order for that as well. I have a GNC right down the street from me, so I may poke my head in there and see what they have.

My daughter's exact diagnosis was ASD and severe language/learning disorder. That is all I know. She is not on any meds as of yet. I have removed all dairy from her diet and on days I have seen a real improvement. I have been doing the food/behavior diary. I have been able to make a meltdown connection to banana's on 2 occasions. So, we have taken them out of her diet as well. She is very limited in her choices as to what she will eat, so I am trying not to take all her favorites away at once. I have begun to realize that this is going to be a "one day at time" thing for us.
    Thanks to everyone for all the support. I will turn here again when I have questions.

Closed Thread