It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• DMSA, Has anyone used it? And what were your results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
    bluefish

bluefish HB User
    DMSA, Has anyone used it? And what were your results?

Hello,

My 2 yr old nephew was diagnosised with mild autism. He's primary symptom is he's speech development. He does speek but not enough, not at his age level and sometimes he's hard to be understood. He is very social, loving, playful, and 95% of the time he seems like any other 2 almost 3 year old. He seems to have improved on the GF/CF diet (as far as toe walking, spinning things, and more speech). My sister was interested in chelation with DMSA for two reasons. First, when he was a year old they lived in a small apartment in which the air conditioner broke and the landlord didn't fix it for a month. At the time she didn't think about it being toxic to her child, however she remembers now that it did put out this metalic smell. So now we are wondering if her son was exposed to heavy metals by this incident. Second, she thinks that he began to lose the speech that he did have after he got he's vaccinations during he's first year (he was developing normally up to a point). She already bought the DMSA, however she mentioned it to her doctor and the doctor didn't want her to use it until she checked it out for safety. That was about two months ago and she still has not approved my sister to use it. I would like her to use it anyway because of all that we read about it and it's possible benefits and no harm. I was just wondering if anyone out there has used it and whether or not you found it helpful and if you found it harmful in anyway. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
    texasmom990

texasmom990 HB User
    Re: DMSA, Has anyone used it? And what were your results?

What is DMSA?

Old 07-06-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
    bluefish

bluefish HB User

DMSA is used to removed heavy metals from children. Here is a website: http://zap.intergate.ca/chelation.html

Also, there is something called PCA-Rx: http://www.awakennutrition.com/more.html. Actually, this is the substance that I was referring to in the first post. PCA-Rx is what I would really like to know if anyone has used (sorry, I got the two mixed up though they both do remove heavy metals). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
    texasmom990

texasmom990 HB User

Has he been tested for Metals in his system? Personally that would be my first step before trying any treatments.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:52 AM   #5
    bluefish

bluefish HB User

That is what the doctor is waiting on. She wanted my sister to let his hair grow out longer before testing, which it has so the testing should take place soon.

Old 07-06-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
    autmom

autmom HB User
    I just ordered the PCA-Rx for my son to try. I may also try it myself. If you do a search, you may actually find a PCA-Rx group online. Posting web sites is not allowed on this board.

Old 07-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefish
    That is what the doctor is waiting on. She wanted my sister to let his hair grow out longer before testing, which it has so the testing should take place soon.
    My understanding is until chelating has begun that most autistic kids will not show abnormal amounts of heavy metals in their hair. If their bodies detoxification system is not working properly all of the heavy metals they have been exposed to will be stored in their tissues. With chelating their bodies will start to get rid of the toxins and they will start showing up in hair samples at that time.

Old 07-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
    bluefish

bluefish HB User

BetsyAnn,

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that. So, do you think given the possibility of exposure to heavy metals that starting the chelation would be the way to go? I think my sister is waiting on the doctor's approval but I don't think that she knows that the hair sample will probably come up normal because he may be storing the toxins in his tissues. I will let her know about that. Thank you.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #9
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Bluefish, I had never heard of PCA-RX. I did go to the website-it looks very interesting. How did you first learn about the product? Do you know anyone who has used it?

Have any of you reading this post used it? If so what was your experience?

We haven't started chelation with our son yet. We are just in the process of strengthening his bodies own detoxification system (vitB-12 shots, epson salts, glutathione cream, TMG). Our doctor said that he would prescribe a stronger medication after we have all of these other treatments in place. I do not remember if he said what that medication was. He did tell us that he would test for heavy metal excretions after we start the medication.

I think that chelation would probably be beneficial for your nephew. However, I also think it was prudent for the doctor to sugguest your sister wait until she could determine the saftey of the product.

I am very interested in hearing the results from your nephews hair sample.
    From what I have read the hair sample findings of heavy metals can even be below normal in people that have an extremely high level of heavy metal if their detoxification system is not working.

Please keep us posted.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:29 PM   #10
    bluefish

bluefish HB User

Bestyann,

I found out about the PCA-RX just by searching the internet for something to detox heavy metals that is safe for children to use. After reading about several things, PCA-RX seemed the most promising and safe. I will keep you posted about the hair test. I know that my sister cut his hair and took the sample to be tested on Monday (yesterday). I don't know how long that takes to get the results. Also, I told her about the probablity that the test will not come back showing heavy metals until after chelation if there is any present. So, she is planning on starting the PCA-RX despite what the hair test shows. I also, hope that someone will write in that has actually used the PCA-RX already. I guess I need to start another post with the correct title.

Closed Thread