It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Dark Circles

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
    Asperger family
    (female)

Asperger family HB User
    Dark Circles

My son has dark circles under his eyes...he sleeps atleast 8 hours most of the time. He sleeps good. I have taken him to the doctor for allergies and he put him on some medication, but as for a diet or anything, he tells me that diet doesnt have much affect...its not a proven theory. Okay, so if it is...what then. Where do I shop for food that doesnt have flour, sugar and other ingredients in it, where do I even go to get help to put him on a diet so that I know what Im doing? These dark circles look pretty bad, I see them on other ADHD kids, but i havent seen any on other autistic kids in his class or anything. So what could this be...his doctor brushed it off . But this might be a huge factor in what is going on with him as well. Does anybody have an experience with this...please help, thank u

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
    I Love LJC
    (female)

I Love LJC HB User
    Re: Dark Circles

Hi AS Family.Same thing here with my ASD girl. Doctor told me they are allergic shiners.Thats all i was told this was a different doctor.She has a new doctor im taking her to in a couple of weeks for well check up and this doctor also does allergy i will ask i know they look terrible and she sleeps too and eats good she is anemic i guess this new doctor saw her a couple of weeks ago for a throat cold and looked in her bottom and top eyelids and shook her head and said i want her on a multi with Iron Flintstones every day and that was it and told me see you after the holiday bring her back.She has been anemic before and treated i was told her counts up so you dont have to give multi this was the different Doctor i really liked but cut the hours back so had to change.It worries me she eats good but without multi her count goes back down.Shes had CBC and her cells look fine so who knows whats causing it .Will post on this too.TakeCare

Last edited by I Love LJC; 01-02-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:08 AM   #3
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

My 6 year old has those and so do I . I was told they were allergic shiners. I noticed they get worse with sinus infections. You do not mention your childs skin color. My son is very light in color as am I so every little thing shows up darker. My son sleeps well and eats everything in sight. He is prone to to ear and sinus infections,

Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
    ang64063

ang64063 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Dark Circles

I did a web search and it might be that the body is low in vitamin K. As for finding foods that he can have, go to the healthfood stores or the healthfood section of your local grocery store. Try reading Lisa Lewis' books Special Diets for Special Kids I & II. In these books she talks about how to start the diet, information to give to the school (or anyone else that has to know about the child's dietary needs) and recipes to get you started.

Last edited by ang64063; 01-03-2005 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Needed to add some information

Old 01-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
    off kilter
    Inactive

off kilter HB User

The dark circles women notice as they age are different then the ones children have. I pulled this up when I searched dark circles under eyes- pediatric. What causes dark circles under the eyes?
    The most common cause of dark bluish circles under the eyes is congestion of the nose. The veins from the eyes drain into the veins of the nose. If the nose is blocked up, the veins around the eyes become larger and darker. To understand what's going on, we need to look at the nose.

These dark circles are sometimes called allergic shiners because nasal congestion is usually caused by nasal allergy or hay fever. Dark circles are also caused by chronic sinus infections, recurrent colds, or blockage of the nose by large adenoids. (If the dark circles are caused by large adenoids, your child probably breathes mostly through his mouth instead of his nose.) Dark circles under the eyes are especially noticeable in children with fair complexions.

Overall, dark circles under the eyes are not a sign of poor health or troubled sleep.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
    Annee

Annee HB User

Is it possible that he's dehydrated?

Old 01-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
    Asperger family
    (female)

Asperger family HB User

I dont know Anne, I had concerns that he was dehydrating because he was so active and would sweat from play. I have to keep a close eye on him and make sure he is drinking plenty because he seems to not take notice to that as well. I have to encourage him to drink many times.He doesnt gag or have any problems with choking or swollowing as far as I can tell.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
    Annee

Annee HB User

It might be worth pushing water for a few days. If the dark circles are due to dehydration, they'll lighten up pretty quickly. And, if that's not the cause, at least you will have ruled it out.

Last edited by Annee; 01-06-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
    Matt Conley
    (male)

Matt Conley HB User

Hi. From what I know about Oriental medicine, these dark circles correspond with a kidney deficiency (such as a lack of kidney yang, caused by too much fear, and too much exposure to cold foods and cold weather). If you live somewhere that gets subzero temperatures, it can really have a lot to do with warmth...in Aspies, the body's thermostat is a little out of whack; I stongly recommend giving your son EXTRA ATTENTION TO DO WITH STAYING WARM ON THE INSIDE (EG. TRY SOME SPECIAL PUMPKIN AND LEEK SOUPS) AND ON THE OUTSIDE (EG. KNIT HIM A NEW JUMPER OR COAT OR QUILT IN HIS FAVOURITE COLOURS AND THEME)...KIDS NEED ENCOURAGEMENT, TO STAY INTERESTED IN THEIR OWN HEALTH, INCLUDING KEEPING THE COLDS AWAY. I also recommend looking at whgat makes him scared, especially talking about this with a professional person, like a clinical psychologist who knows plenty about ASD. Anyway, hope this helps him now, this way he won't be as bad off later in life.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
    Matt Conley
    (male)

Matt Conley HB User

And Try Some Yoga To Get Things Happening In Healthy Ways, Too!

Closed Thread