It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Anyone watch the show last night about the Autistic boy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #16
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User
    Re: Anyone watch the show last night about the Autistic boy?

What show are you all refering to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 AM   #17
    jollydolly
    (female)

jollydolly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2cutekids
    well, he got alot better over the last year. He did have alot of scripting speech that wasn't "normal" and a few other autsitic things. Tippie toe walking, flapping, screaching ect... but that is all gone now.

THAT is how he was dx. I wonder if I should have him reassesed to see where he is at on the spectrum if he is still even on it.
    hi 2cutekids
    had trouble trying to reply to your other post so thought i'd use this post to reply instead, hope thats ok.

i didnt see the mentioned programme, but i am diagnosed as high functioning. i only got formally diagnosed last week and i'm in my late thirties.
    i am also diagnosed as highly intelligent, - i had to pay them for that bit!!
    no, high functioning doesnt mean being smart,
    some lo/non functioning autistic spectrum people are very smart, it just doesnt show or isnt readily accesable. there are also some high functioning autistic spectrum people that are not that brainy or smart.

h/f usually refers to the fact that a person can function to some degree in the NT world, that they can speak and do some of the things required to be communative or perhaps not need a 24 hour carer.
    the term high functioning it is a bit general and nondescript, it doesnt really help clarify things as many people have the idea that h/f means brainy and lo/f means not very brainy, but thats just not the case.
    lo functioning auties, usually have serious overload issues or such difficulties as 'hearing/meaning deaf' issues where maybe they cannot understand everyday speech, but that doesnt make them not brainy, same way that sensory and social issues that h/f do not grasp doesnt make them less brainy, just means that they havnt grasped the nt rules of what is 'acceptable'.

i dont do any of your sons behavoiral things either, although i still walk on the outside of my feet if they are bare. only a couple of my friends know i'm autie and i'm married with a teenage child.

your sons improvement doesnt mean to say he is not still autistic, it just means his 'symptoms' have improved, which is great but he still needs your understanding and support for the difficulties he may still have albeit they look different now.

hah clear as mud yeah!
    jollydolly

Old 02-05-2005, 05:16 AM   #18
    KathleenW
    (female)

KathleenW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asperger family
    Sarahrose, my son was diagnosed as severe autistic at age 3...autism can evolve into aspergers..its the amount of therapy, education and treatment they can get, to where their behaviors and understanding, even speech can get better. My son could only speak 1 worded sentences at 3 and now at age 7, has a diagnosis of ADHD/aspergers. You cant rely on a diagnosis or label to identify your child...that is only there for understanding of the characteristics and educational purposes..They say to get them diagnosed every 3-4 years because diagnosis are alwasy changing. Even if his diagnosis doesnt change...its hard whle they are small to see their full potential. Education is the best cure...whatever you can learn to help your child and his education can further his progress. God bless
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the first sentence of the post. I like to say how well my son is doing because when we first got the diagnosis he was so far behind. At 29 months his speech was at a 16 month level and one of the skills he was tested on called eye and hand coordination was at an 8 month level. Overall they thought he was functioning at a 18 month level. The day I first had him evaluated they looked me in the eye and said. Your son is going to need years and years of therapy. He qualified for a "special" pre school 5 days 40 hours a week. When people say that they feel this board can not help them because most of the children seem like they are Aspergers, I think they are missing the point.

I think about 50 percent of children with early INTENSIVE EDUCATION will be able to overcome some or if they are lucky ALL of their disabilties. Time will tell.

Last edited by KathleenW; 02-05-2005 at 05:49 AM.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:21 AM   #19
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User

Yeah, the pratmatic problems my son has is mainly just missused words, pronoun reversal. He didn't even quilify for a delay in this area. This is also the reason he got the HFA lable over AS. Like the other posters said, I have heard both ways, AS have NO speech issues and AS has very Minor speech issues. Alot of children at the age of 5 have speech issues anyway JMO

My son is smart, has a photographic memory just about. I think that this will help him in the future. As for his IQ, I'm not sure how much faith I put into those, expecially with a child that may have comperhentions problems.

My dh's IQ is somewhere about 140 (he has alot of AS symptoms) where I did an online test and mine was about 132, my dh laughed at me and didn't believe it. (I didn't too much either) I'm smarter than PPL give me credit for, but that ... I'm not sure.

I have major spelling issues which has limited my education. I didn't learn an extensive vocabulary because I can't "read" phonic's and I have a hard time with letter sounds so sounding words out is usless to me. I spell so bad that spell checker doesn't recognize the words LOL.

Anyway, I think we all have some problem here and there. It is what we do with ALL our lives. My dh is so smart, he should be a dr or an enginer but he isn't. He can't find something to hold his intest and can't stand to sit still. He is a truck driver. He makes good money at it, but probably could make double as a dr ... oh well... he is still young, who knows what he will do in 5 yrs

Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 AM   #20
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User

My son is on the diet, and I know if I took him off it, all, most or ifnot more symptoms will come back.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It is just weird out here in this water. I feel somewhat alone, NO ONE would EVER guess that my son has ANY issues let alone one that sounds as harsh as "AUTISM". Only everyonce and a while you will find someone that doesn't see it as he child rocking in the corner.

This is sad, I wish it would change and I can't wait till the new movie comes out. Get the AS out there and let others know that there is another form of Autism and not to be scared or mean to children/adults that are a little "different"

Old 02-05-2005, 09:22 AM   #21
    autmom

autmom HB User
    Question Which Movie?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2cutekids
    This is sad, I wish it would change and I can't wait till the new movie comes out.
    Which movie are you referring to?

Old 02-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #22
    Asperger family
    (female)

Asperger family HB User

Hi cute kids, I missed it! I hardly ever watch tv, more of a computer nerd I guess. If anyone knows of something related to autism in the future, I would be interested to hear about it or if you know what station it will be on ahead of time, and if it wont bother to post it, I would be interested. Thanks

Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #23
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User
    Talking Re: Anyone watch the show last night about the Autistic boy?

Offensive post deleted, but can still be seen in quotes. Among other things, it was in very poor taste.

Last edited by mango2; 02-07-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Old 02-06-2005, 05:43 AM   #24
    KathleenW
    (female)

KathleenW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    Some of you folks have kids that are just unique in some way. No way they're all Autistic. There must be a Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy board for you somewhere.
    You are right. When my son was diagnosed, they looked at me and said he is not autistic, but he has mild PDD which is a autism spectrum disorder. There are a lot of people on this board who have an Aspbergers and high functioning autism diagnosis for their children. How old was your child when you got them help?

I think every parent has different experiences. Some people can tell their child is different from birth and others say that all of a sudden their child regressed. At the age of 2 autism started to take over my son's brain. His speech, cognitive, and fine motor skills were a year behind. He had severe tantrums and began staring into space and fixating on objects. He would answer to his name 50% of the time. He also did not point to things using his index finger. I began an ABA program, had him in speech therapy three times a week, eliminated milk from his diet and started B6, magnesium, and DMG daily. I also worked 1 on 1 with my son every waking moment generalizing his ABA programs, using the techniques his speech therapist used to gain his attention and stimulate his language and played with toys THE CORRECT WAY (my son used to pick everything up shake it and then throw it on the floor). I fully believe if my son had not had these interventions that he would have gone from a diagnosis of PDD to Autistic. I am guessing you were kidding about the Munchausen comment.

At the age of 2 your brain is not fully developed. I think if you start early enough you will be able to change the outcome of a lot of children.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #25
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KathleenW
    You are right. When my son was diagnosed, they looked at me and said he is not autistic, but he has mild PDD which is a autism spectrum disorder. There are a lot of people on this board who have an Aspbergers and high functioning autism diagnosis for their children. How old was your child when you got them help?

I think every parent has different experiences. Some people can tell their child is different from birth and others say that all of a sudden their child regressed. At the age of 2 autism started to take over my son's brain. His speech, cognitive, and fine motor skills were a year behind. He had severe tantrums and began staring into space and fixating on objects. He would answer to his name 50% of the time. He also did not point to things using his index finger. I began an ABA program, had him in speech therapy three times a week, eliminated milk from his diet and started B6, magnesium, and DMG daily. I also worked 1 on 1 with my son every waking moment generalizing his ABA programs, using the techniques his speech therapist used to gain his attention and stimulate his language and played with toys THE CORRECT WAY (my son used to pick everything up shake it and then throw it on the floor). I fully believe if my son had not had these interventions that he would have gone from a diagnosis of PDD to Autistic. I am guessing you were kidding about the Munchausen comment.

The answer to your first question is 18 months.

Your post is very interesting, actually, because it's a twist on Dr. Kanner and Massie's decades-old theory on the frigid, or negligent mother effect. Instead of the parent causing the Autism, you are almost suggesting it's the parent's fault if the child doesn't recover from the un-explained onset of Autism.
    No I am not kidding about the Munchausen comment. I posed it that way to temper a provocative assertion.

Quote:
    At the age of 2 your brain is not fully developed. I think if you start early enough you will be able to change the outcome of a lot of children.
    Actually, no matter when you start, you will affect the outcome of every child, but the sad fact is that there is no cure, so what you think is mainly sunshine and daydreams.

Last edited by mango2; 02-07-2005 at 03:43 AM.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #26
    IBGECKO
    Inactive
    (female)

IBGECKO HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    Some of you folks have kids that are just unique in some way. No way they're all Autistic. There must be a Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy board for you somewhere.
    Harsh. I must have missed the sign that says this board only supports those with severely autistic children. I guess a lack of understanding of ASD is not reserved for those who do not have autistic children. Your response is the exact reason why I seek support from boards like this. It helps to know there are other people who have, as you put it, "unique" children like mine, since most people don't understand why Connor behaves strangely sometimes, or his school is at a loss as to how to handle his learning disabilities. So I come to this board and read a comment like yours. Thanks, that's just swell.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #27
    sarahrose
    Inactive
    (female)

sarahrose HB User

I read that same post as well, I was surprised it wasn't removed.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 AM   #28
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User

I editted my last post, but I think the other one is ok. It may be wrong, but I don't think it should be removed.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #29
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User

I can tell you I did NOT want my child to be dx HFA. I was actually hoping for a better dx. I do not have some morbid thinking and TRY to make my son APPEAR Autistic. I could show you the eval if you would like.

My son has gotten better threw diet and therapy. I have done TONS of research in the last year. I have read countless books, emails and web sites. I KNOW what I'm talking about. I also believe that it is possiable to have my son taken off the spectrum some time. I'm not CONVINCED it is actually AUTISM, but something ACTING as Autism like the DAN! dr suggest.

Diet and anti yeast treatments had done WONDERS for my son. Yesterday was a bad day. He did alot of flapping and some mild meltdowns. He hasn't had a day like that in some time. I didn't give him is ZINC for breakfast and he is also getting sick. I may not have it as hard as others. I know that probably every single one of you (or most of you) would give ANYTHING to have a child that functions like mine. I know I'm lucky!

I have never been rude or ? others motives. I could sit here and tell you that I don't think it is right NOT to try the diet. That you are only hurting you child, but for some it just doesn't work, or the don't want to believe it. I have seen first hand the change in my son. I have video tapes. I have the dr's in awe at the change in my son. He still isn't "normal", he may be unique or quorky, but that doesn't mean he is NOT Autistic.

Did you read the reply from the man that has HFA? The one that has a wife and a teenager dd? Why dont you tell him that he is making it up. I bet he would have a few choice words for you.

IE: My mom has MS is in a wheel chair, can't really do anything for herself any more. Montel Williams has MS, look he has a talk show, lifts weights and is very active. Does that make him NOT have MS? NO it just effected him differently.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 AM   #30
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User

ok ok, that was in very poor taste. I confused the true definition of Munchausen's.

An apology is in order. I'm sorry.

I'm at work and can't read the most recent responses to my offensive post, but I will when I have time.

Closed Thread