It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Anyone watch the show last night about the Autistic boy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2005, 07:43 AM   #31
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User
    Re: Anyone watch the show last night about the Autistic boy?

PDD-NOS Mom, my last post was NOT directed to you, and I hope you didn't take it as such. It was directed to the post about the Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. That is all.

All of our children are special each way. Us parents do NOT need to gang up on each other over trival things. Life is hard enough. We were all chosen to have these special kids for a reason. We are great, loving, caring, patiant people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 AM   #32
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    ok ok, that was in very poor taste. I confused the true definition of Munchausen's.

An apology is in order. I'm sorry.

I'm at work and can't read the most recent responses to my offensive post, but I will when I have time.
    Mango, that is very cool. It takes a mature person to rethink their position and be able to admit when they are wrong.

Having a disabled child can really cause stress to build and sometimes it just comes out.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #33
    KathleenW
    (female)

KathleenW HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    The answer to your first question is 18 months.

Your post is very interesting, actually, because it's a twist on Dr. Kanner and Massie's decades-old theory on the frigid, or negligent mother effect. Instead of the parent causing the Autism, you are almost suggesting it's the parent's fault if the child doesn't recover from the un-explained onset of Autism.
    No I am not kidding about the Munchausen comment. I posed it that way to temper a provocative assertion.

Actually, no matter when you start, you will affect the outcome of every child, but the sad fact is that there is no cure, so what you think is mainly sunshine and daydreams.
    I find your post very confusing. If every child's outcome will be affected how can my posts be sunshine and daydreams?

You say "SADLY THERE IS NO CURE" Guess what? I agree 100% with you. If you do a search on my posts I have never once said. This is what I did to cure my son's autism. Or thank God my son has fully recovered from autism. What I do say in my posts is what I did to help my son learn to talk and catch up developmentally.

The thing that summed up recovery best to me was an essay written by someone with autism. He said recovery from autism is a myth. He said suppose you take a neurotypical child and spend every waking moment with them and try to teach them to be autistic. Will the child be autistic? The answer is no because they will still have a neurotypical brain. I feel that it is impossible to recover from autism, because no matter how normal you seem your brain will still be different.

It surprises me that you would assume that another mother with a child with autism such as myself would accuse the parent of being the cause of autism. The reason I asked is because I was very interested in your child's story and when they started therapy. I feel you are doing a huge disservice to other parents by trying to discredit other people's posts. It was so confusing to me when I got the diagnosis. They looked at me and said your son is not autistic and then handed me all these pamphlets on how to help autistic children. Why did they do that? The answer is because no matter where your child is on the spectrum they can all benefit from the different types of early intervention.

You have made a lot of broad statements on these boards. Such as I don't think my child will be able to benefit from this because the children are so high functioning and by saying that parents are making things up. Why would you try to tell other people that what we say is untrue? Everything I have said has been scientifically proven. ABA, speech therapy and B6, magnesium, DMG and the removal of milk (which a pediatrician told me to do since my son was getting double ear infections in July and August (he has never been in daycare so they said it did not make sense for him to keep getting ear infection in the summer unless he was having a reaction to the milk) has helped children who suffer with autism.

Last edited by KathleenW; 02-07-2005 at 04:44 PM.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #34
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User

I've now read all the posts.

Kathleen and others:

I'm not sure exactly why I said all those things, but obviously I felt the need to say them and knew what I was doing. I admit it makes me look pretty bad. Without thinking about it too deeply, let me try to explain in some way.
    I've been dealing with Autism for fourteen years, and amongst all the kids in my boy's classes, and all the kids in the groups I've belonged to, I really haven't seen much noticeable success. Maybe I just felt like all the progress reported here with the high-functioning kids gave people false hope, and perhaps I felt a tinge of jealousy.
    Help for kids with Autism came slow here in SW Florida. We had to fight for every little educational tool. I remember when a group of us went before the School District to try to work out a deal for a Public-Private parternship so parents who opted for a different type of education could send their kids to a private school that used different teaching methods(ABA). It turned out that the parents of older kids, who years before had to fight for their children's right to even attend a Public school, were some of our biggest opponents. I think they felt some bit of jealousy, or thought that what they had fought for was good enough. It looks like I'm now in the older gereration of parents, and I guess it's only logical that the parents of younger children today would be better prepared than we were, and would have higher expectations of success due to scietific advancements and public opportunities and awareness.

I said I was sorry, and I hope I've answered the questions to some extent. I will think about this a little more.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #35
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User

Mango2...

I just wanted you to know that I have no hard feelings for you. We all have our bad days and need to lash out from time to time. I usually don't have many ppl to do this to also, my sister and my mom, but I think they must be sick of hearing me by now.

I respect all you have done for Autism in your area and over the time. You are a strong woman, much stronger than me. I didn't really have to fight for much here, I am bless that where I live, we have one of the best systems in place in the country.

All of my son's services are paid by threw the state, and our school district already has Autistic children in it. In fact one of the ladies for NARR child goes to my school (I belive) so most of this has been paved for me. I'm sure that your life it much harder than mine. I comended you for your stength and courage as I do all the familes that are faced with this disorder.

Back when you started to fight this, they may not have even recognize my son as having Autism, just given me that "he is a naughty boy and I needed to disipline him more" I still got that from my family. Or perhaps "he will grow out of it". We all know that is not true.

Again, at times we say things that we shouldn't, but when it is written down, more ppl see it than "hear" it.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #36
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KathleenW
    I think it is important that all parents post on this board no matter how well or poorly your child is doing. I feel so blessed that my son is doing so well and I post on these boards because I like to tell other parents what helped my child. I feel if I could help one child do better than it is worth it!!!!!!!! Continued luck to you and your son. I feel next year will be the BIG TEST for both of our boys.
    I just want to thank you and other parents that post here. This is the place that I have been introduced to all of the different "therapies" that have worked for my child. The unpaid parent testimonials are what convinced me to at least try some of the treatments that the mainstream medical community has not yet bought into. Not everything I read applies to my son but I find it all interesting.

This has also been a great place for support. I don't feel so alone in this fight since finding the board.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #37
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User

Old 02-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #38
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User

Thanks, 2cute.

FTR, I'm a Dad.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:00 AM   #39
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User

Mango...

Sorry, It is almost always a woman...

Closed Thread