It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Autism Spectrum Message Board

  • He talks to himself

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
    jcd777
    Junior Member
     
    jcd777's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    jcd777 HB User
    He talks to himself

    Hi..here again with yet another question, about my grandson. He seems to be really starting to talk a lot now, yes there is a lot of repeating, but I have noticed that he will talk to himself a lot, as well. He can just all of a sudden start repeating something that he has seen on tv..or video. Or just out of the blue talk about an incident.,.has nothing to do with what is going on at the moment, just out of the blue.Like he is daydreaming and thinking of something that happend the day before. Sorry, Im rambeling here..but example..I was kinda getting on to him the other day for misbehaving...he just stopped and starting talking about something involving Beauty and the Beast video...he will look up and just start saying parts of this movie..and then today I was told that he was sitting looking out the window saying "NANA, PAPA, HOUSE" I don't know. I feel that while his speech is finally coming, other things are popping up that would suggest yet another problem. Sorry, just dumping a little here..I guess Im just plain scared...

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    BetsyAnn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 611
    BetsyAnn HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    What you described is very typical of alot of autistic children. I would encourage his parents to have him retested.

     
    Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
    mango2
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    mango2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: Ft. Myers, FL
    Posts: 167
    mango2 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    How old is he again?

    That stuff sounds pretty normal.

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 AM   #4
    jeffreys mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    jeffreys mom's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 550
    jeffreys mom HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    I agree with Betsyann, it sounds like echolalia whicn my son does. There is normal repeating of what is heard but what you are describing sounds like a part of the autistic spectrum. It sounds like he is using language but not as a means of communication. Although from what I have been learning about this disorder if he is on the spectrum and he has echolalia that sometimes it helps in the area of appropriate language development with the appropriate help in place. ??? Good Luck

    Betsyann, Where have you been?

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
    Cazzie
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Cazzie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Norway
    Posts: 138
    Cazzie HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    This sounds like my step son. He's high functioning autistic. I would get suggest getting him tested as soon as possible to get some early help. My SS hasn't had much help and he's sliding down fast. We're beginning to doubt whether he will ever live independantly.

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
    AggieMom
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    AggieMom's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 149
    AggieMom HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    My son does the movie thing too- he's almost 7. He had started talking like all my other kids and then, slowly, we realized he had stopped using words and it sounded like he was speaking a foriegn language. When I first started taking him to speech therapy, I was in a waiting room and a mom came in with her son who was about 10 or 11. He was talking to himself and after awhile I realized he was just repeating lines from some movie. At the time my son wasn't saying anything and I remember thinking "Boy, if my son could talk even like that it would be so great just hear him saying anything!" And now my son does that too. He's coming along on communicating in a more appropriate way, but he'll still just run around quoting videos alot. I was just wondering, when you say he was talking about the movie, is he talking about it or just repeating phrases from it? That's what my son does, and we have been able to use his "echo" speech to get him to use appropriate speech sometimes. I like to think of it as a good thing because at least we know he has the ability to speak and we just have to teach him how to use it. A long time ago I realized that a lot of the things that are signs of autism are things that all kids do. For normally developing kids, echoing, toe walking, spinning, etc... are part of the process of development. Our kids just seem to get stuck in some of those "phases" that other kids grow out of. When he was little and most of the family was still saying " He'll grow out of it", "Boys are just late bloomers", " Cousin Earl didn't talk till he was 5", etc...I always told my husband that if I was wrong about it being autism I'd be the fist one to shout it from the roof tops. But let's go ahead and treat it like it is. A little speech and ot sure isn't going to hurt him and think how much of a head start we'll have on the problem if I'm right. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of hero for getting him help right away. I wish I had been wrong, but he is so wonderful and we love him so much that no matter how much work it is, his smile makes it all worth it.

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
    jcd777
    Junior Member
     
    jcd777's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    jcd777 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    How old is he again?

    That stuff sounds pretty normal.

    He will be 5 next month...

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
    jcd777
    Junior Member
     
    jcd777's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    jcd777 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AggieMom
    My son does the movie thing too- he's almost 7. He had started talking like all my other kids and then, slowly, we realized he had stopped using words and it sounded like he was speaking a foriegn language. When I first started taking him to speech therapy, I was in a waiting room and a mom came in with her son who was about 10 or 11. He was talking to himself and after awhile I realized he was just repeating lines from some movie. At the time my son wasn't saying anything and I remember thinking "Boy, if my son could talk even like that it would be so great just hear him saying anything!" And now my son does that too. He's coming along on communicating in a more appropriate way, but he'll still just run around quoting videos alot. I was just wondering, when you say he was talking about the movie, is he talking about it or just repeating phrases from it? That's what my son does, and we have been able to use his "echo" speech to get him to use appropriate speech sometimes. I like to think of it as a good thing because at least we know he has the ability to speak and we just have to teach him how to use it. A long time ago I realized that a lot of the things that are signs of autism are things that all kids do. For normally developing kids, echoing, toe walking, spinning, etc... are part of the process of development. Our kids just seem to get stuck in some of those "phases" that other kids grow out of. When he was little and most of the family was still saying " He'll grow out of it", "Boys are just late bloomers", " Cousin Earl didn't talk till he was 5", etc...I always told my husband that if I was wrong about it being autism I'd be the fist one to shout it from the roof tops. But let's go ahead and treat it like it is. A little speech and ot sure isn't going to hurt him and think how much of a head start we'll have on the problem if I'm right. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of hero for getting him help right away. I wish I had been wrong, but he is so wonderful and we love him so much that no matter how much work it is, his smile makes it all worth it.
    No he doesn't talk about the movie, he is repeating from it..Just out of the blue..and when you are trying to tell him something, or get him to answer you...one of the most frustrating things right now is getting him to answer a question, like " Who are you?"..of course we want him so say his name, but he will just repeat what you say..but let me say, in this past year , he has moved ahead leaps and bounds, this time last year he would not even speak, now he will like give a command, "sit down" come here" he is now potty trained (uses toilet, not potty) he has come such a long way, but is still sooo behind for a 5 year old. He is in special speech school, but I think he needs so much more. He has been tested (last year) but it seems like them "autistic tendencies" are still a big part of my worry. Well, thank you so much for your input..I really appreciate it..THank all of you who have been so nice to comment...its a big help...

     
    Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    BetsyAnn's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 611
    BetsyAnn HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreys mom
    Betsyann, Where have you been?
    Hi Jeffreys Mom. During the last couple of weeks when I haven't been at someone's school or lesson I have been at the insta-care or emergency room. It's been a wild time. Nothing too serious-just everything at once.

    JCD, I can see why you are concerned. Does you grandson repeat back questions instead of answering them at school also? I am suprised that the school is not sugguesting autism.

     
    Old 03-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #10
    Jana2676
    Senior Member
     
    Jana2676's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Posts: 158
    Jana2676 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    My DD is 5 and does alot of the day dreaming talk type stuff. She has alot of conversations with herself. Its hard when I ask her something and she looks away and says 'this bottle contains 100% water.' She repeats alot of commercials and jingles. She loves the Charmin toilet paper song, certian sayings from Dora the Explorer (she is very animated while repeating those), and just random commercial lines.

    What helped us was holding her chin up and asking her direct questions, even if it was in the form of one or two words. I would hold her chin up so she was looking into my general direction and I would say 'Hungry" and she would repeat it. I would say to her, Yes mommy, I am hungry. She would repeat one or two words. Now she can say the whole sentence, most of the time, and usually with some prompting. But, its better then not knowing whats going on. We would also hold the item until she said the name of it. Gradually she would say the item name and please, then the item name, and please mama. Its just a long process. Luckily my 2 1/2 year old son has picked it up and talks my ear off. He can say complete sentences and is very good at saying please and thank you. He even tries to help his big sister with her sentences.

    She attends a special ed pre-school at the local elementary school. When she gets home, I ask her what she did at school. She usually just says the word school. So I go through her papers and hold them up one at a time and I talk about what I see on the paper. Sometimes it will spark something and she says a word or two about it, sometimes nothing. But you just have to do it over and over and over. It can be really hard. I see my friends have these conversations with their little girls and sometimes feel jealous.

    She loves songs and can sing them very well. So we sing alot. I make up songs about everyday items and procedures so she can learn to say those things too. We clap and sing about everything and she gets it.

    I have found that asking her 'yes or no' is very effective. If I ask if she wants something and she doens't answer or even look my way, I will say, Morgan do you want this, yes or no. She may not look at me, but always answers. She was very happy last week when we bought her Easter Dress. I was holding up dresses and she was doing her silly talk becuase she was over stimluated seeing all the pretty dresses. I held up two dresses and said Morgan do you like the purple dress, yes or no. She said no, so I asked if she liked the pink dress and she said yes. I told her she could get the pink dress and she grabbed it and rubbed her face on it and said I love you.

    Good luck, I don't know if you have had a diagnosis yet, but that would be very helpful. Your doctor needs to help you get that, don't let the school district do that. This board is very helpful!

     
    Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
    AggieMom
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    AggieMom's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 149
    AggieMom HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    jana2676, That is so like my son (except for the easter dress) ! I do the yes or no thing too! It's not 100% of course, but it's pretty good. I also think that even if the answers are just random they will eventually learn how to make the choice. At first, if I asked him if he wantsed to wear a certain shirt and he says yes, but it's not really what he wanted he would be upset. But he did learn and now when I ask you can actually "see" it in his face that he's really trying to decide. We try to use it when he's not feeling well (does your throat hurt? Yes or No. Does your ear hurt? Yes or No, etc...), but it still pretty inacurrate for that kind of thing. He'll start saying Yes to everything (including "Are you purple?" "Do you have 6 eyes?" Oh well, it's the best thing we've got so far!

     
    Old 03-16-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
    mango2
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    mango2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: Ft. Myers, FL
    Posts: 167
    mango2 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcd777
    He will be 5 next month...
    Oh, I'm sorry

     
    Old 03-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
    jcd777
    Junior Member
     
    jcd777's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    jcd777 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    Oh, I'm sorry

    Why are you sorry?

     
    Old 03-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #14
    mango2
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    mango2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: Ft. Myers, FL
    Posts: 167
    mango2 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcd777
    Why are you sorry?
    Because the symptoms, or behaviors, you described in your first post seemed perfectly normal for a 2 yr. old. My brother's little girl will blend Peter Pan into her life everyday. Sometimes children just verbalize their daydreams. But I know that at five years old there may be more going on, and the thought of another child and another family having to go through this just bums me out.

     
    Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
    jcd777
    Junior Member
     
    jcd777's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 11
    jcd777 HB User
    Re: He talks to himself

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mango2
    Because the symptoms, or behaviors, you described in your first post seemed perfectly normal for a 2 yr. old. My brother's little girl will blend Peter Pan into her life everyday. Sometimes children just verbalize their daydreams. But I know that at five years old there may be more going on, and the thought of another child and another family having to go through this just bums me out.
    OH...thank you so much for your concern, I must admit that this is getting me upset, as well...but thanks to this board and people like yourself, I have learned so much..and I...am passing this along to my son..in regards to my grandson. I will just keep plugging away here. And hope that this will be some kind of guidence for my son and his wife, to help his son. Thanks again...everyone...

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Schizophrenic referring to self as "we" and talking about himself in the 3rd person. HisHelper Family & Friends of the Mentally Ill 8 07-25-2010 06:53 AM
    My husband talks down to me wrkgirl Relationship Health 25 11-29-2009 05:03 AM
    Child gagging himself Tiff24 Infant Care (up to 18 months old) 8 05-13-2008 03:53 AM
    Son hitting himself. JenBer Autism Spectrum 6 02-06-2007 10:20 PM
    he still talks to his ex micheguns Relationship Health 27 01-11-2005 03:09 AM
    9 yr old son hits himself gardenwezel2933 Parenting Issues 6 04-28-2003 12:36 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!