It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Casein Free and Gluten Free Diet Information

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User
    Casein Free and Gluten Free Diet Information

For those of you who have tried the diet I have some questions. I think the answers may be helpful for those who are interested in learning more.
    What books on this topic did you find helpful?

What changes did you see in your child after starting the diet?

What happened when there was a dietary infraction?

What is your pediatricians opinion on the whole topic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
    2cutekids
    Veteran
    (female)

2cutekids HB User
    Re: Casein Free and Gluten Free Diet Information

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetsyAnn
    For those of you who have tried the diet I have some questions. I think the answers may be helpful for those who are interested in learning more.

What books on this topic did you find helpful? ~~~ Well I liked a book by Karen Seroussi and Lisa Lewis. They are the ones with the best info... also Oasis.

What changes did you see in your child after starting the diet? ~~~ My son went from a closed off child to a loving into almost typical child.

What happened when there was a dietary infraction? ~~~I never hand one, but with the gluten, he would throw himself on the floor, flap, jump up and down in place and cry, cry and cry, also lots of whine.

What is your pediatricians opinion on the whole topic?
    Well, the don't really "believe" in it, but really you can't disbute his results, in only a year with only 4 mos of therapy!

Old 04-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
    Sweet_girl
    (female)

Sweet_girl HB User

This diet is 100% acurrate.. I have been on it for 8 years. The changes I noticed in my self were that I had more patients for being around people, I had more energy, I had more confidence, and I when I cheat on the diet I usually end up paying for it lol, eithe physical or emotionaly. The disorder that I was diagnosed with is called AIA, or allergy induced autism.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
    kam21

kam21 HB User

Does anyone have a book on the subjuect? I would like to know as well. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
    jeffreys mom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jeffreys mom HB User

Kam21; There are a couple of books that I know of about the diet. One book I read which I could really relate to was Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and PDD. Also one that is more diet related is Special Diets for Special Kids. Good luck

Old 04-29-2005, 02:25 AM   #6
    glsmom
    (female)

glsmom HB User
    Wink Re: Casein Free and Gluten Free Diet Information

Wow Where do I start after being Casien Free for about a week we saw about 75% agression just decrease. She was having Self injourous behaviors and head banging during tantrums that would last most of the day that slipped away over time. She almost four now we have been on the diet for a year she has a Tantrum every once in awhile now but it mostly a "normal" toddler tantrum. She started sleeping through the night. (before she and I slept for about 2 hrs a night)After about a month we also went gluten free and took sugar out of her diet. She started putting two word phrases together and learning new words. We had poop smearing incidents where she make hudge messes in her room. That stopped. Not only that but she started having regular bowel movements before she was always either constipated or had diarea. After about a month she potty trained with no problem. This all happened within four months of being on the diet. I have explained to her all along that there were good and bad foods for her she started feeling better she never argues even about the food she loved like cheese. She goes to a german kindergaden and her teachers are very helpful in keeping with the diet and every once in awhile she gets a hold of something. The only noticable side affect seams to be that she seams more tired and cranky(less sleep more tantrums). For the last question we don't have great medical care but I try not to confuse them with what works hehe I once had a doctor tell me there was absoulutly no way that diet had an affect on nuerological disorders like autism I litterally laughed out loud and told him I only knew what I was experiencing and after what I had exeperienced there would be no way that he could convience me it did'nt affect her. He must have looked it up he called a week later and apollogized.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:35 AM   #7
    bjm32
    (female)

bjm32 HB User
    Question Re: Casein Free and Gluten Free Diet Information

I had tried the diet a few years back but I only kept him on it for a few weeks. His normal diet is so limited... chicken fingers, pasta, hotdogs, pizza, and now he eats chili (this is new) I'd like to try it again especially if it helps with aggression! What would I feed him?? Before when he was on the diet he went on a hunger strike and wouldn't eat anything...Any ideas??? thanks~Bunny

Old 04-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
    glsmom
    (female)

glsmom HB User

There are really great alternatives breakfast cereals and breads I bet you can find an alternative for almost anything he is eating now. Heathfood stores are everywhere we live in europe so we are really lucky because celatic disease is alot more prevelnt here( a disease where there is some type of allergy to wheat) but the point of this story is we vacationed in florida a few weeks ago and I just went on line to the yellow pages and looked up where the stores were. If you live in a very remote place that has no healthfood store you can order the products on line. You have to get rid of the things that are bad so you are not tempted to give in my Peditrician has assured me that picky toddlers will not starve themseves to death. He will eat these altenatives when he gets hungry enough. I really find now that we eat this way I don't give it a second thought. There is so much they can have have vegtables potatoes meat products. With agood healthfood store they can have pizza bread ricecakes pancakes waffles. Most grocerystores offer a great amount of sugar free products like syrups and sweetners. There are some great books on the subject do a search on the online book and cd store we all love(i don't know if we are aloud to mention specific store or book names if we are some one let me know and i will write back with alot of information.) Try visiting a local healthfood store my daughter took to some products right away and preferred them over what she had been eating like GFCF animal crackers and cereal bars.Plus she started feeling better and was all around more agreeable so trying new things was not as big as deal as it once was. What ever little trouble it was worth starting the benifits far out weigh the inconvience. People have accused me of switching her with another child that is how dramatic the changes were. And while to me it is very obvious that she is autistic stangers would really have to get know her before they could tell that. This diet has just made the symptoms or traits much more manageable. I am sorry to get so long winded I just really hope people would at least try it, I know it does not work with everyone but I think what do you have to loose.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:21 AM   #9
    01ticktock
    (female)

01ticktock HB User

My 2 young boys are new to the diet (approx 1 month), and although we have pretty much removed gluten, they are still having limited casein (cheese).

Although my boys have no diagnosis (Autism is not well understood in the UK, also I have been working with my boy's diet, etc, since birth so they have come a long way and would probably not be recognised through the usual phsycholgical diagnosis - they however share many of the biological citeria of autism) we have found many of the treatment protocols have helped them. They had the urinary peptide tests for gluten/casein 2yrs ago and we were advised to remove them from their diet. This we tried briefly but didn't notice a significant improvement, so allowed them to continue to eat wheat and dairy - limited as they are lactose intolerant. I think there were so many other problems we were attempting to contend with at the time, it was difficult to assess what was of use, and what wasn't.

Last yr I purchased William Shaw's book 'Bilological Treatments for Autism and PDD' which we are finding really usefull, but as with anything I think you have to read it then put it away for a period, as things may happen in between which can suddenly make sense of the situation. Anyway, returning recently to the book, I realised that there was something I recognised, particularily in my older son - he had wee accidents all the time (even though he has been toilet trained for a couple of years). Also his dislike of noises ie, hoover, aircraft, power tools, machinery, vehicles, music, etc. and ridiculously bizzare heightened reaction to pain when he hurt himself, could perhaps be related to a peptide called Substance P which is thought might accumulate if DPPIV were inhibited by gluten/casein peptides.

So we tried it - we removed gluten, and lo and behold no more wee accidents or constant leaking dribbles! Normal responses to pain, and no obvious problems with noise. One evening we allowed them to have one of those enticing french sticks which they ate with glee (and nothing else) - it was a nightmare! Within 3 hours they were distrought, both crying over the slightest things, every knock a trip to casualty!! My husband could only laugh in complete shock and disbelief! They have had a couple of slip-ups since (wholemeal bread) and the eldest resumes his urinary problems following these occasions. We are still trying to follow the diet, but finding it hard to remove cheese as well as they like/tolerate so little foods. The biggest bonus has been in behaviour - they tolerate eachother!

In case anyone is interested (it may be significant). Apart from all the usual vits, enzymes, probiotics, etc the boys have had from birth, we introduced a new probiotic a couple of months before which contains a soil bacteria (not tried b4) - BioKult. I am conviced this has helped other areas - it will be interesting to compare their next results, stool culture, amino/organic acids, etc.

As for paediatricians!!! - well I think they always thought I was mad, this has just gone to reinforce their ignorance. We still await contact from our elusive dietician.

Sorry for such a long reply - I hope this helps others.

Last edited by 01ticktock; 06-03-2005 at 03:40 AM.

Closed Thread