It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• The reasons for Autism are so obvious!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #16
    Curious Nana
    (female)

Curious Nana HB User
    Re: The reasons for Autism are so obvious!

As I suggested awhile back, I think both can be true. I believe that sometimes, a child's genetic predisposition is so strong that they are born with symptoms. With others, like my grandson, it took an assault to his system to trigger the symptoms, months after he was born. I believe there is value in knowing the causes so we can prevent, but I also believe that we have to focus our energy on the here and now...what can we do to help our children? I love that about these boards...the fact that I can come here and learn so much from those of you who have been walking this path far longer than we have. We just passed a year since Drake was diagnosed, and I am happy to say that we have seen much progress. He is going into another phase of treatment next week. My son is taking my grandson to southeastern Ohio to a place called Sound Health. They take a voice print, analyse it, and make a tape for the patient to listen to that will bring the body back into balance. They have had quite a bit of success with autistic kids. I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by Curious Nana; 11-26-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #17
    jeanned
    (female)

jeanned HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curious Nana
    As I suggested awhile back, I think both can be true. I believe that sometimes, a child's genetic predisposition is so strong that the are born with symptoms. With others, like my grandson, it took an assault to his system to trigger the symptoms, months after he was born. I believe there is value in knowing the causes so we can prevent, but I also believe that we have to focus our energy on the here and now...what can we do to help our children? I love that about these boards...the fact that I can come here and learn so much from those of you who have been walking this path far longer than we have. We just passed a year since Drake was diagnosed, and I am happy to say that we have seen much progress. He is going into another phase of treatment next week. My son is taking my grandson to southeastern Ohio to a place called Sound Health. They take a voice print, analyse it, and make a tape for the patient to listen to that will bring the body back into balance. They have had quite a bit of success with autistic kids. I'll let you know what happens.
    Yes, an assault to this system is kind of what I am speaking of..the childs immune system is already damaged by the mercury..and then months later, as they are getting more and more innoculation thats when the problems arise..And again, the stronger the childs immune system the better chance he/she has to fight it off. You are so right about these boards..right from the very begning when my son said my grandson was spinning around in circles all the time..and was concerned about his not speaking..(we lived in another state at that time). I started looking for some kind of answers, and I happened upon this board, it has been a wealth of information for me. I can't thank everyone enough for all the help and support. He (my grandson) is now venturing out on many new theropies (sp) and will see a dan's dr. in december. He is 5 and was just formally dx'd this year. He has had such improvment in this last few months, I just hope and pray it continues.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #18
    ftbworker
    (female)

ftbworker HB User

I would have to agree that it is not the shots as well. The shots that have the mercury as a persative are the live vaccines. My son has never receved a live vaccine in his life. I have always gotten the inactive virusus for all of my kids. My father is a transplant patient and he had told me about the inactive virusus he my 13 yr old was just a baby.

I have insisted that my kids only be given the inactive virusus ever since. If I let them give the kids an active virus they wouldn't be able to go near their grandfather for several weeks after the shot is given, because his ammune system is supressed.

So I don't think that there is any conection with the shots myself.

My son and I have been partisapation in a couple of research studies going on at the U.C. Davis M.I.N.D instatute. Their are all sorts of research being done over there. Last year we partisapated in a study that involved blood, hair, and urine samples. This year we are partisapating in a sleep study over there.

They are really doing some intrasting studies over at the M.I.N.D instatue and maybe one day someone will find out the cause of this disability.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:41 AM   #19
    LeeannaL
    (female)

LeeannaL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftbworker
    ... The shots that have the mercury as a persative are the live vaccines.
    The MMR, which has live weakened viruses, has never contained mercury, or the preservative thimerisol. Sometimes the MMR is given at the same time as other vaccines that do contain trace amounts of thimerisol. Yes, a trace amount is considered to be thimerisol free.

I believe the reason(or cause) of autism is multifactoral. The Goldman study published in the Fall 2004 Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, a magazine of the conservative Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, was quite interesting.

Last edited by LeeannaL; 11-26-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:27 AM   #20
    Cantdoitagain
    (female)

Cantdoitagain HB User

There is a lot of interesting information in the thread and I was wondering if anyone thought of metals instead of just mercury. When I was growing up my grandma used to say that aluminum is not good for you and it is in everything....face make-up, anti-persperint, creams and lotions...it makes things spread better.

As well....if you don't buy into that....how about generations of metals or just mercury if you like in our systems that affects our babies. We grew these babies in our bodies. What if our exposure to metals/mecury predisposed them to illnesses??

I think the only way in the future that there will be answers is by asking questions. Things may seem far fetched but it could help brainstorm the correct answer to head research in the proper direction.

Just some thoughts I wanted to add.

Last edited by Cantdoitagain; 11-28-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #21
    JonsDad
    (male)

JonsDad HB User

For our son, he was fine until 13 months. He walked, talked, etc. After the shot, he had a reaction which included a low grade fever. Within a couple of days he shut down. He didn't make a sound for six months, and just sat on the floor staring or rocking. I'm not sure about Thimerasol. I know they call it something else now so they can say it isn't in the shots, but many shots still have it. I do know that 20 years ago it was taken out of animal vaccines because it was "making dogs crazy." I also know that there have been many recent studies that have found the live virus in the intestinal tract and the cerebral-spinal fluid. According to the human genome project, autism is tied to the immunity gene, so it seems very conceivable that shots with or without mercury could be one of the primary triggers. Another study I read recently said that autistic kid's brains were larger due to swelling. It said that the swelling was caused by a certain protein in the central nervous system being attacked by the immune system and that this only happens in austic kids. What causes the immune system to go out of wack? For many parents of autistic kids it's clearly the shots. If there was no link whatsoever, why did the patriot act which was supposed to be against terrorism contain lines prohibiting the drug companies from being sued?
    By the way, in California, you can just sign a paper saying you don't believe in shots based upon religious principles.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #22
    heartcreature
    (female)

heartcreature HB User

I have to disagree with the thought that immunizations are the cause. My son started out seemingly normal, but I believe the overuse of antibiotics is what contributed to autism in his case. He had recurrent ear infections and we began to see problems with the loss of speech and lack of eye contact before the immunizations began. I also believe it is a hereditary issue in my family that affects mainly the boys. I see it occuring in my male grandchildren now. The boys don't develop communication skills at a normal rate. My oldest grandson seemed to lose speech but got early intervention through a state organization. He is now being placed in an accelerated math and reading class and is in the 2nd grade. I also have a two year old grandson who has not developed good speech skills. He has recently been evaluated and will be getting intervention through his states programs. My grand daughters have above average speech skills. My 5 year old granddaughter is an excellent conversationalist and her 1 year old sister can repeat about anything we say. You can see a difference in the girls that they are very focused. They boys were just all over the place and don't make good eye contact. It's obvious to me that they are many things that go into having a child with autism. I heard a speaker at an autism conference say that autism in more inheritable than diabetes. This was a doctor who stated this piece of information. I would definitely go with autism being an inherited condition.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #23
    kimmiles
    (female)

kimmiles HB User

Three of my five children are autistic. The oldest did not have the MMR until high school and showed all the signs of high functioning autism from birth. The two little ones seemed normal until they were about a year old ... right after they had the MMR shots ... then things went down hill. How can we prove anything? And what is the point for those of us dealing with damaged children already?

Old 12-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #24
    Curious Nana
    (female)

Curious Nana HB User

A few comments as I reflect on what has been discussed in this thread:

1) Saying that it wasn't the shots for your child is a valid position. This is based on YOUR personal experience and observations of YOUR child. Saying that it can't be shots for someone else is making a judgement about those parents who are trying to sort out the triggers for their own child. Since there are likely multiple triggers that assault our kids at different times in their lives, and since we are ALL trying to finds answers (while moving forward at the same time), I hope we can each agree that when we are sharing, it is about OUR child/ren, but we cannot make those same assumptions about others and what they have experienced. To say so is to try to invalidate THEIR own experiences.

2) In talking about shots, for those who believe it wasn't the themerisol that was the trigger for their child, consider the fact that they are JUST NOW taking themerisol out of eye drops! Who knows what else it is in that we don't even know about!

3) Other metals? Other environmental triggers? Connection with digestion and gut problems? Triggered in utero? Preservatives in foods? Allergies? Missing enzymes? The list of possibilities is endless! The one thing we can all agree on, is that there are greater numbers being affected and diagnosed, more than can be written off by the broadening of the umbrella of symptoms from what it used to be. How neat that we can each share our own experiences in an effort ot help each other! Who knows? With the amount of research that is being done to get some answers, maybe our own children and grandchildren will be able to ask, " Now ,what WAS autism?"

4) In the meantime, BLESS THESE BOARDS as a way of helping us each share our experiences! For what helps one, may help countless others. Bless each of you who are walking this journey with the desire to seek support and understanding. While I never would have asked for my son and grandson to have to walk this path, I feel fortunate to have found you to help keep us uplifted as we travel this common path. I thank you!

Last edited by Curious Nana; 12-11-2005 at 08:27 AM.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #25
    mad jamison
    (male)

mad jamison HB User

The evidence isn't conclusive about the innoculations. However, some do contain mercury (Thimerosol) as a preservative in spite of the fact that the FDA has come out against it.

The bigger problem, in my opinion, is heavy metals in the environment, and not specifically the innoculations. That would explain why kids can be born with symptoms or develop symptoms before they've been vaccinated. There are many sources. Mercury and lead are neurotoxins that readily cross the blood-brain barrier. They are most harmful to children under about 5 years of age when the brain is still developing.

Also, heavy metal poisoning is cumulative. You have to consider length of exposure, number of times exposed, and how much of the toxin the child was exposed to each time. You can and probably should ask for vaccinations that don't have mercury in them. Why tempt fate, when alternatives are available. The use of Thimerosol is not so prevalent anymore, but autism is still on the rise, so there must be other causes at work.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
    Rickysmom
    (female)

Rickysmom HB User

How would you explain genetics, then? My mother has Aspergers, and so does my son.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #27
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rickysmom
    How would you explain genetics, then? My mother has Aspergers, and so does my son.
    The genetics are what leave you vulnerable to the environmental attacks. Of course this is not always true, but frequently families with an autistic child will have numerous members with adhd. There will also frequently have members with autoimmune disorders such as arthritis, lupus, M.S., fibromyagia. There also tend to be high incidences of heart disease and diabetes in alot of the families. I have heard it explained that the genetics is the gun and the environment is the trigger.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #28
    heartcreature
    (female)

heartcreature HB User

Betsy Ann that is good way to put it. The genetics are there and then it takes something to fire it off.
    It's interesting that you mentioned autoimmune disorders being common in families of autistic individuals. My son who is autistic has an autoimmune disorder as well. He was recently diagnosed with colitis possibly crohns disease. We believe it was triggered by him taking Accutane, but it doesn't occur in everyone who takes Accutane. I believe there was a genetic predisposition that triggered this autoimmune disease just as it triggered the autism. I was diagnosed with heart disease at the age of 41. I was not a smoker, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, cholesterol below 200 basically a healthy person otherwise. There is more and more information coming out that heart disease is caused by inflammation. Inflammation can be caused by the immune system going into overdrive. I believe heart disease will someday be labeled as an autoimmune disorder.
    My daughter and I were discussing my grandson tonight. He started out early on with a receptive and expressive language disorder. He also has alot of sensory issues and now we're seeing social awkwardness. He is above average intelligence and is in accelerated math and reading in the second grade. She asked me if I thought he might be Aspergers. I told her I think it's a real possibility. Why does it affect more males than females? The girls in our family don't seem to be affected this way. They are getting the same immunizations, eating the same foods, taking the same antibiotics. It is also obvious in my younger male grandson. His language skills are extremely delayed. He is getting ready to be enrolled in First Steps here in Indiana. There is something going on with the males in my family. This same grandson covers his ears when he hears certain noises and cries. I've seen the concerned look on his Daddy's face when he sees this. I know he's wondering if his son is going to be like his brother. I even see the characteristics in my Dad and brothers and my father also has colitis and heart disease.
    I'm rambling now but seeing this occuring in my grandsons just makes me even more convinced that it's genetics.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #29
    geezermom
    (female)

geezermom HB User

Ya'll's commentary on the genetics/environmental front really makes a lot of sense to me. I also believe that environmental influences...mostly oxygenation problems... come into play while the baby is still a fetus. Emotion aside, it will be really interesting to see what develops from the research over the next five years. Don't you just want to start a football pool to see who's right?

You know how baldness and hemophilia are passed down the mother's line of the family, but its usually the males that show the symptoms? It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see something similar for autism.

Did you see the recent article in the Wall Street Journal about the billionaire who has just chartered this amazing genetic study? He's that famous hedge-fund guy from Wall Street. His college-aged daughter is autistic, so he and his wife know first hand how it impacts people. Since the human genome mapping has progressed so rapidly over just the last couple years, hopes are high that the genetic side of autism may unravel its secrets more quickly.

Cannot remember the guy's name for the life of me, but he's a former scientist/mathematician himself, so its not like its Ross Perot out there with a voodoo pointer telling the geneticists what to do. He's also a brilliant business man, and has pulled some interesting tricks for funding. FINALLY, the top dogs in genetics can be pulled into autism analysis without them having to get second mortgages on their homes. This guy can pay them what the fat drug companies can. I feel hopeful.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #30
    starsofglass
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

starsofglass HB User

Just something I thought is worth mentioning: boys do tend to have a weaker immune system than girls, so that's another link between immune system and autism...

Closed Thread