It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Autism has ruined my life

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #31
    robinhett
    (female)

robinhett HB User
    Re: Autism has ruined my life

Hi,
    I am a single mother of three boys, one labled as asbergers and one with autisim. I know how it fels to have your friends not understand. My five year old was diagnosed as autistic and he is still not potty trained. I keep thinking that if only I knew more parents who are dealing with the same issues that I could feel less inadequate as a parent. One friend I have had for 8 years thinks that I just dont try hard enough. As if that is the problem!
    I love my kids and I wish that more people could understand the disability.
    Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 AM   #32
    patcher
    (female)

patcher HB User

Robin,
    I feel your pain. My friends don't have a clue. Actually, I think no one does unless they have walked in your shoes. Keep your head up and be encouraged. That's what I try to do daily. God Bless..............Patcher

Old 08-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #33
    9CatMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

9CatMom HB User

SMW73,

You and I think a lot alike on this subject. I also keep a basically positive attitude, but I do acknowledge some of my difficulties as a first step to changing things I don't like about myself. I also think it is unfair how the system labels children who are different. When I went to kindergarten, I was able to begin at four, instead of having to wait a year, because I knew what I needed to know. However, my teacher thought something was wrong. I feel I was influenced by that irresponsible teacher. Academically, I did very well in school, especially in English and other subjects where book learning and factual information came into play. Math was more difficult, but I still was able to understand the fundamentals.

I also am thankful for the things I accomplished that I thought I never would:

New friends made
    Success at a job I love (Now I am looking toward advancing at the library)
    Sharing of common interests

There are still things I want to do:

Get my driver's license
    Find a nice person with whom I share common interests and get married (this is not at the top of my list of priorities, however.)

The main thing I'd like to stop doing is having stupid misunderstandings.

I think the people here are very understanding.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #34
    cjjimenez
    (female)

cjjimenez HB User

Hi Im sorry that you are feeling alittle stressed out now . We have all been in your place at one time or another.I have a son who has fragile x syndrom and he is 24 years old now . I remember how he was when he was 9 years old. I think for us the years of 9 and 10 were our most complicated. The only time that he had ever stayed away from me was when he was 9 he went it into the hospital for his behaviors. He was very hyper. Getting ready for school every morning was a large task for me, not for him he was having a good time. When we would leave for school he always would make it to the car before me and lock the doors.[you know that he was told always lock the car doors when you get in. He would get in , lock the doors and it was so funny to him that I was on the outside and could not get in. It wasnt that funny to me at that time because it seemed that we were always running late. I think back now and it makes me smile. Im telling you this because we can get so stressed out about things, but I will tell you from experence that things will get better. OH back to the hospital . I thought I would have time to rest and to do things like everyonelse. I didnt. I couldnt see him for the first week. I almost went crazy.Then after he had ajusted and he would tell me leave moma. It broke my heart and I would cry everytime. it was harder on me than it was on him because he ajusted and i never did ,I missed him so much. You know we all get stressed at times . Look into finding respite, it is available. As I look back now I woudnt change any thing about our life . It has been a wonderfull experence. We have so many stories and not all of them have been good ones but I would not trade places with anyonelse. I want to tell you to enjoy the things that make our children different and take time to smell the roses along the way. I will cherish all the memories that we have made over the years. My son was diagnosed this past nov with colon cancer. He is in stage III . He has already had surgery and finished 7 mothes of chemo. He is a strong man. And apparenetly we have to educated our docs on our children. They wanted me to take him home and not to do treatment, said it would be to hard. Well it was hard but with adaptions from the [normal way treatment is given ] he has finished his chemo for now. I am so very proud of him.I think we needed all those childhood things to make both of us strong enough to face this battle we still have ahead of us.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #35
    9CatMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

9CatMom HB User

CJ,

Hugs for you and your son. You and he have both been through a lot, and he shows a lot of courage.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #36
    patcher
    (female)

patcher HB User

Best of luck to you and your son. Your story deeply touched my heart.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #37
    soozeq
    (female)

soozeq HB User

CJ
    Your story makes me grateful for my son's health. He is so strong. Bless you, and I hope you and your boy perservere. Thank you for sharing, and reminding me how much I need to be grateful for all of the things we DO have.

Suzy

Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #38
    soozeq
    (female)

soozeq HB User

Just after my last post, my morning went bad. I discovered that my daughter had a dr. appt, one hour before it was scheduled. My mother is sick, so I had no child care, and to top it off, the 80 lb dog got stung by some insect. Now he's swollen up like a boxing champ, and has had diareah and vomit all over my house, rugs and all. I was so upset, and I said 'why does all of this happen to me?!!!'. Then I stopped, sat down, and read CJ's post again. I am so glad that is all that happened to me this morning. If that's the worst, bring it on. We'll be fine.

Thank you CJ, for sharing with us. My perspective got a good kick in the a**.

Suzy

Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #39
    9CatMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

9CatMom HB User

(((Suzy)))

That's a lot to happen in one day! I feel for all of you here!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #40
    mango2
    (male)

mango2 HB User

wow, this thread is pretty much what it's all about.

My wife and I have a hard time supporting each other when we both feel such depression, but somehow we survive.

Closed Thread