It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Licking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
    Swansong
    (female)

Swansong HB User
    Licking

My boy has been licking people and some things lately. He has often liked to chew on things, especially pulling rubber tyres off his toy cars and chewing on them. None of his toy cars have the tyres on them.

Lately, he's been licking me, my husband and his younger brother and sister. He seems to do it when he is happy and at a time where he would give us a hug or say "I love you", in those type moments.

Why would this be? Is it a common thing for kids with ASD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
    marissamm
    (female)

marissamm HB User
    Re: Licking

yes i believe it is when my son was little, he did it all the time he is 17 now and just licks his shirt. he is hfa.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Licking & chewing strange things is not uncommon on the spectrum. Sometimes it is a sign of a nutritional deficiency because often our kids have gut issues. More often, the licking & chewing are sensory issues -- seeking stimulation, input, whatever. There's a need there that they are trying to meet.

It's reasonable to ensure your child doesn't have nutritional deficiencies. Ask your doc to test hemoglobin, at the very least, if this hasn't been done. Pica (a drive to eat strange things) can occur in iron deficiency -- even adults w/Ph.D.s can be driven to eat dirt.

You can also give your child a good mulitivite with minerals. Try to find one without the palmitate form of Vitamin A, unless you are confident that your child is not one of the many on the spectrum suffering from a G-protein deficit. I personally would also look for one w/out artificial colors & without artificial sweeteners.

Occupational therapists (& some speech pathologists) can give you guidance on oral sensory stim.

Or you can wing it, get a battery-powered toothbrush w/very soft head, & use it on lips, teeth, gums, tongue, etc. for a few minutes each day. I wouldn't do this with toothpaste unless it's nonfluoride toothpaste & only then if your kid demands it.

Give your child a variety of food textures to enjoy: soft, hard, crunchy, chewy, slurpy. Some may be rejected, but keep trying. Be a good role model.

Chewing gum is good oral stim if your child can handle w/out choking. Ditto licking on lollipops & ice-cream cones. You may have to "teach" licking with a mirror -- many of our kids just bite.

Best wishes.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
    Hoopa7p
    (female)

Hoopa7p HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmhar View Post
    Licking & chewing strange things is not uncommon on the spectrum. Sometimes it is a sign of a nutritional deficiency because often our kids have gut issues. More often, the licking & chewing are sensory issues -- seeking stimulation, input, whatever. There's a need there that they are trying to meet.

It's reasonable to ensure your child doesn't have nutritional deficiencies. Ask your doc to test hemoglobin, at the very least, if this hasn't been done. Pica (a drive to eat strange things) can occur in iron deficiency -- even adults w/Ph.D.s can be driven to eat dirt.

You can also give your child a good mulitivite with minerals. Try to find one without the palmitate form of Vitamin A, unless you are confident that your child is not one of the many on the spectrum suffering from a G-protein deficit. I personally would also look for one w/out artificial colors & without artificial sweeteners.

Occupational therapists (& some speech pathologists) can give you guidance on oral sensory stim.

Or you can wing it, get a battery-powered toothbrush w/very soft head, & use it on lips, teeth, gums, tongue, etc. for a few minutes each day. I wouldn't do this with toothpaste unless it's nonfluoride toothpaste & only then if your kid demands it.

Give your child a variety of food textures to enjoy: soft, hard, crunchy, chewy, slurpy. Some may be rejected, but keep trying. Be a good role model.

Chewing gum is good oral stim if your child can handle w/out choking. Ditto licking on lollipops & ice-cream cones. You may have to "teach" licking with a mirror -- many of our kids just bite.

Best wishes.

Excellent advice! Are you a Speech Pathologist? I am a Speech Pathologist from New York. Your advice was right on target.

I would also like to add that any child that stims off of licking objects should have their lead levels tested. Most of the time the licking will stop or slow down with the appropriate oral motor therapy. However, high lead levels can mimic the symptoms of Autism. I have seen this on a few occasions in my career.

Last edited by Hoopa7p; 03-17-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
    zoei06
    (female)

zoei06 HB User
    Question Re: Licking

What age does this seem to occur? My daughter does it and she is 3 months old. I'm not sure if autism is hereditary but her father has a form of it.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
    PinkPiglet
    Veteran
    (female)

PinkPiglet HB User

My son chewed and licked everything. We were able to stem a lot of it with gum thank heavens. Now you can get jewelry called Chewelry that is just for kids with oral fixations. I wish we'd had that when ds was younger!

Closed Thread