It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Son hitting himself.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
    JenBer
    (female)

JenBer HB User
    Son hitting himself.

My 5 yr old son is going to be evaluated on the 2nd, 7th and 8th. His therapists feel he may be on the autistic spectrum - high functioning. Lately he has been having violent outburst and is always hitting himself in the chest and head. I worry he may do some real damage, but he's hard for me to control - he's very tall and 83 pounds. Do you have any ideas on how to stop him from doing this or why he's doing it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I feel he is regressing in his speech also. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
    Mom2PDD
    (female)

Mom2PDD HB User
    Re: Son hitting himself.

Andrew is four now and does this often. We have been dealing with him hurting himself and making himself bleed. He also is very destructive with his toys, other people's stuff, and our HOUSE!! I mean the walls of the house!! Anyway, since speech therapy has gotten him to communicate he also has a really bad potty mouth! Sometimes just being plain mean. He knows words are bad, but he continues to say them-- almost to get a rise out of me. We have tried ignoring the behavior, but that doesn't seem to help. I am praying that when we go to the Psychologist Wed. that we will have some answers. I wish I had the answers on how to help as I am struggling with them myself. I am as frazzled as the next. Our Pediatrician said though, that when he hurts enough, he will stop. It has subsided, but the throwing himself on the floor, banging his head and hitting himself is a daily routine. I have noticed as long as he has nothing to pick at there is less picking of the skin. Such as bug bites, scratches, scabs, etc. If I find anymore out at the Dr's I will definitely pass it on. Michele

Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
    smw73
    (female)

smw73 HB User

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like frustration. He is five years old - have there been any changes in his routine or environment, lately? This must be difficult to deal with - and frustrating for the parent. Maybe try to find some alternative outlets for him - find something else to kick or hit like a football, and make it a highly structured activity. I know that when I was four or five (I have Autism) I went through some phases, like throwing tantrums in public bordering on hysteria, repeating the same phrase over and over all the time, and other odd stuff. I think I found kindy and school a bit difficult to adjust to, at the time. Eventually, the behaviour settled. People with Autism can often seem to stop and start in their progress, and even regress sometimes - and then get a breakthrough. Good luck to you.

Last edited by smw73; 01-29-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
    BubsTubsCubs
    (female)

BubsTubsCubs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JenBer View Post
    My 5 yr old son is going to be evaluated on the 2nd, 7th and 8th. His therapists feel he may be on the autistic spectrum - high functioning. Lately he has been having violent outburst and is always hitting himself in the chest and head. I worry he may do some real damage, but he's hard for me to control - he's very tall and 83 pounds. Do you have any ideas on how to stop him from doing this or why he's doing it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I feel he is regressing in his speech also. Thank you.
    My son is 6 years old and started the self injury last Aug. It has not stopped, not as bad as at first. He NEEDS to feel that pain (for some reason) he is on Risperdal for the self injury. You can really tell when he doesn't take it. His whole forehead was covered 1 BIG HUGE bruise. Swollen. Heartbreaking. I was so lost. Did not know what to do. Dr. told me to give him benerydl to try to calm him. Did not work. Finally I got him in to Iowa City Center for Development Delay. He saw medicine and a phyciatrist. They figured out what meds to put him on.. I could not look at him w/out crying my eyes out.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

i started regressing in cpeach long ago, i dont know when, by 12 i wondered ifi should just becoem amute i hate talking so much even to this day.

i actually always did that too, i still pull my hair or dig my nails into myself, bite my lip, bite my thumb, for a while i was cutting up my left arm.
    now this wasnt "emo cutting" i am terrafide of razors, i didnt want to actually "hurt" myself, i used saftey pins so i would just sort of scratch atmyslef untill it became a cut. i ALWAYS made sure it was sterile first, and avoided veign carefully, even looked up human anatomy pictures to help safety.

its probably ebcuase i rarley felt emtions and i felt a need to feel Something, i mean i faked emotions, i probably am still fakeing i can hardly even tell anymore.

i dotnt think its such a bad thing, its a type of stimulationa nd it does no real damage to me, so i get really offended or upset if someoen tries to imply i dot it for attention or to actually injur myself.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
    smw73
    (female)

smw73 HB User

As an adult, I started doing this sort of self-mutilation stuff that's in the above post for awhile. Haven't done it in a long time. For me, it was a way of transferring the inner pain into something else, or letting it out. I try not to let it all build up to that level, these days. When physical pain actually gives you a sort of relief - I think that's pretty mixed up. I don't know if it's the same for kids who injure themselves - whether it's the same feelings involved. I was looking at another website and its explanations for why kids with Autism start self-injuring. There's a bit of information out there about it.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
    iyami
    Veteran
    (female)

iyami HB User

it was never about inner outer pain to me actually

its just a type of stimulation, and a powerful one
    it took my focus of fof eerything around me that mad eme so stressed, if tehres a lwod noise or i feel nausus or anything "too much" liek colours
    THATS wheni hurt myself now.

it was teh smae before, if i gt too stressedor i felt dizzy or teh ligth was too bright, i would hut myself, stress was only One cuase.

its all about "focusing"

Closed Thread