It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• pre school booster!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
    sonj186
    (female)

sonj186 HB User
    pre school booster!

HI IM A BIT NEW TO THIS SO SORRY IF I DONT MAKE MUCH SENSE! WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO GET A DIAGNOSIS FOR OUR 4 YEAR OLD SON WHO WE THINK MIGHT BE SLIGHTLY AUTISTIC, THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THE WHOLE MMR THING HE HAD IT AS NORMAL AT 13 MONTHS ISH! AND WE DIDNT REALY NOTICE A CHANGE. HE IS DUE TO START SCHOOL IN SEPT AND WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED THAT HE NEEDS HIS PRE SCHOOL MMR BOOSTER! I REALY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! EVERY TIME I ASK A PROFESSIONAL IM JUST TOLD THERE ARE NO PROVEN LINKS! IT IS CAUSING MANY A SLEEPLESS NIGHT! I JUST DONT WANT TO GO AHEAD WITH IT AND CAUSE HIM TO GET WORSE! HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM? OR CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE IT WOULD BE VERY GRATEFULLY RECIEVED.

KEEP SMILING SONJ:O)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
    KathleenW
    (female)

KathleenW HB User
    Re: pre school booster!

I filled out a religious exemption from vaccinations. You just need to get your states religious exemption form, sign it and have it notorized. I feel that the vaccinations caused my son to have digestive problems and caused him to have autism since he developed typically until he had his MMR at 12 months.

It took almost three years of intesive ABA, speech therapy and diet changes to get my son to the point that he is indistinguishable from his peers. There is no way I was going to risk giving him boosters and regressing. Time will tell if I made the right decision. Yes, I also had many sleepless nights. As parents you just have to decide what you think is best for your child.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

I would not do the boosters while you have so much anxiety about them. Get a waiver, at least temporarily. You can always have your child get them later. Do alot of research and trust your instincts. Get the titers tested. This will show if your child is already immune. A lot of vaccines that have boosters give full immunity to about 90% of people who recieve them after the first dose. They just go ahead and give everyone the boosters to protect the other 10%. It is cheaper to keep vacinating everyone then to check everyones titers.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
    sonj186
    (female)

sonj186 HB User

thanks for that, i didnt know they could test for immunity! excellent thank you
    sonj)

Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
    Callista
    (female)

Callista HB User

If you are worried about giving your son the vaccine, you may request the mercury-free single vaccines. Peace of mind is sometimes worth being a little overzealous.

The MMR study which first showed a link between autism and MMR had only twelve participants... The whole thing is rather iffy; it's been perpetrated more by parents who want an explanation for autism and by people who want to sell them books and supplements, than by any medical research study. (Rubella--the disease itself, not the vaccine--has been linked to autism; children with congenital rubella syndrome, in which the pregnant mother has rubella during pregnancy, are more likely to be autistic. However, that would be prevented, not caused, by the vaccine.)

In any case, if no one were vaccinated, the diseases MMR protects against would kill more people than are autistic today--and autism doesn't kill anyone; measles, mumps, and rubella do.

(By the way, I am "slightly autistic" myself--Asperger Syndrome--and it is not altogether a bad life.)

Last edited by Callista; 03-02-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
    sonj186
    (female)

sonj186 HB User

hi calista, the only problem with the seperate jags is that they are not licensed in the uk! and therefore can be very expensive and difficult to get, i have decided i am going to have cam tested to see if he is immune from his first batch of mmr, if he is then fab problem solved! if not then i will have to make inquiries about the seperate ones.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
    elmhar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    In any case, if no one were vaccinated, the diseases MMR protects against would kill more people than are autistic today--and autism doesn't kill anyone; measles, mumps, and rubella do.
    I've heard similar lines of reasoning, even from pediatricians ... but I don't buy it.

Some of the facts are in, and some are not in.

We do know, that before a measles vaccine was introduced, the USA had about 350 deaths, per yr., on average, attributed to measles. Mortality in rubella is less than in measles, and mortality in mumps is rare.

So, worst case, MMR vaccine prevents about 500 deaths per yr., assuming no one has been vaccinated. But since the incidence of measles is very low at present (due to mass vaccination), the vaccine is now preventing a few deaths per yr. ... debatable, depending on how you frame it.

Rubella can cause significant handicaps; however, so does severe autism.

How many autistic people do we have in the USA today? Recent estimate is 1 in 150 people, using DSM-IV definition (does not include those with "tendencies.") The National Autism Association study suggested that currently we have approx 500,000 individuals with autism at present in the USA.

The Journal of Insurance Medicine reported in 1998 that standardized mortality rates for autistic individuals exceeded that in the general population, with a mortality rate twice as high for males (197%), and nearly five times (470%) higher for females. Autistics suffer a higher incidence of accidental death, as well as a significantly higher incidence, approx. 10%, of deaths of unknown cause, even following autopsy. If we were to look at the numbers comparing children only, the indexed mortality comp. to normals is even more staggering.

So, even though autism doesn't kill quickly like say, untreated measles, there is a significant mortality risk associated with autism. It's just that it's not as dramatic & therefore the association of death, with autism, is more easily ignored.

I hope that readers will consider facts when making decisions about vaccinations.

Best wishes.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Well stated Elmar. I would like to recommend anyone interested in this topic read the book Evidence of Harm. It is very interesting.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

If you chose to vaccinate your child, do not give tylenol. It depletes the glutithione in the body and that makes it harder to handle to vaccine. Also make sure you give vitamin c and cod liver oil (good source of vit. A) serveral days before, the day of, and several days after.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
    sonj186
    (female)

sonj186 HB User

its so good being able to get different honest opinions from people it makes it much easier! before i found this site i spent months worrying about his booster, asking health care proffessionals about autism links only to be told time ad time again that "there is no proven link" to be honest if you ask me theres no smoke without fire! and im not going to risk my wee boys health any further!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
    DrewsG
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB UserDrewsG HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sonj186 View Post
    its so good being able to get different honest opinions from people it makes it much easier! before i found this site i spent months worrying about his booster, asking health care proffessionals about autism links only to be told time ad time again that "there is no proven link" to be honest if you ask me theres no smoke without fire! and im not going to risk my wee boys health any further!
    I think you have made a wise choice. Good Luck to you and your babies. Just my two cents.

Last edited by DrewsG; 03-07-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
    sonj186
    (female)

sonj186 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drews Gram View Post
    I think you have made a wise choice. Good Luck to you and your babies. Just my two cents.
    believe me! your two cents are very much appreciated! thank you and thank you to everyone who takes the time to help other people with a wee bit of advice. x

Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
    I Love LJC
    (female)

I Love LJC HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetsyAnn View Post
    If you chose to vaccinate your child, do not give tylenol. It depletes the glutithione in the body and that makes it harder to handle to vaccine. Also make sure you give vitamin c and cod liver oil (good source of vit. A) serveral days before, the day of, and several days after.
    Hi BestyAnn your post caught my attention about Tylenol i was wondering if any of you with ASD children gave dose of Tylenol before or after vaccines i did with my daughter in spectrum a couple of times after her DTP... i had no idea im shocked her dr off gave me some samples after visits too

Last edited by I Love LJC; 03-19-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
    I Love LJC
    (female)

I Love LJC HB User

I see my question doesnt point to tylenol...in my 11 yr old daughters case im leaning in more of the direction of her givn the Hepb doses and also the hib givn same time with polio & dtp just to much givin at one time Thankyou..

Last edited by I Love LJC; 03-21-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Closed Thread