It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Sensitivity to noise?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
    Amy33
    (female)

Amy33 HB User
    Sensitivity to noise?

My dtr is 4 1/2 and has always had a sensitivity to noise. She is high functioning and verbal and her auditory sensitivity seems to be her biggest obstacle at times. The noises that bother her the most right now are toliets flushing, hair dryers, vacums, auditoriums/theaters, etc. My question is what treatments or therapies have you found to be successful? Do earplugs work in public places/schools, AIT, EASe CDs, other SI techniques? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User
    Re: Sensitivity to noise?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amy33;2***813
    My dtr is 4 1/2 and has always had a sensitivity to noise. She is high functioning and verbal and her auditory sensitivity seems to be her biggest obstacle at times. The noises that bother her the most right now are toliets flushing, hair dryers, vacums, auditoriums/theaters, etc. My question is what treatments or therapies have you found to be successful? Do earplugs work in public places/schools, AIT, EASe CDs, other SI techniques? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
    I wish I knew the answer.. my son is 3 1/2 and high functioning.. also very verbal. However, he is also sensitive to the same noises. So is his older sister, who is "neuro-typical" as far as we know. They are also both sensitive to bright lights/sunlight. (Is your daughter at all?) I haven't heard of (or read) any good advice that I can think of at the moment, to ease the sensitivity levels for these. Perhaps continued exposure, in small amounts? I really don't know.

But this can also be a sign of some other issue, not necessarily related to Autism.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
    PinkPiglet
    Veteran
    (female)

PinkPiglet HB User

As my son has gotten older it has gotten better. We continued to expose him to these things and he learned to cope.

He always loved the vacuum cleaner though. He would put his ear down on the tube and listen to all the dirt zoom through.

I hope it gets better for you.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
    Callista
    (female)

Callista HB User

A hoodie sweatshirt with the hood up can do a great deal of good. It blunts noise and light a bit before it gets to your senses--quite helpful. If she can tolerate the feeling of earplugs, she might want to start carrying a pair for particularly noisy things (pep rallies are particularly painful!).

Also, it helps to warn her before a loud noise is coming up, so she can "get ready" for it. We did this in my house--my mother, my little sister, and I all have auditory sensitivity--and it helped keep us from cringing too much when somebody switched on the garbage disposal or vacuum.

As time goes on, she should learn to tolerate loud sounds; but making sure she's got a quiet place to retreat to can help her control the stress that results from such overstimulation.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
    Loui1970
    (female)

Loui1970 HB User

Hi i found ear defenders work very well for hearing sensitivity, don't know if you have heard of them but i know they sell them in the uk.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
    dvalred
    (female)

dvalred HB User

our daughter, too, has a high sensitivity to noise and has aspergers. i think she is getting better now (she is 6) but even last year, it was horrible for her. We got her a cd walkman and bought classical music so when she showed signs of distress over a noise, we had her put the headphones on to distract and drown out the noise that bothered her.

the noises that would upset her were unusual, not the typical things you would think so many times we did not know what/when a noise would cause a meltdown.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
    katsmee
    (female)

katsmee HB User
    Smile Re: Sensitivity to noise?

Hello, My son is 7 and is also high functioning. He has had sensitivity to sound and bright lights for his entire life. From the age of 2 until just recently, he would not be outside if the lawnmower or any lawn equipment were running. He covers his ears when the toilet flushes, and becomes very agitated in environments where there are a lot of people/noise. He doesn't like bright lights either, and holds his hand in front of his face as if he's filtering the light. I never really found anything that could be done to remedy any of this. As he's gotten older, he seems to be able to tolerate noises better, but still has trouble with light.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
    TrueEssence
    (female)

TrueEssence HB User

hello my son is 4 and also has a hard time being around loud noises.. i have found that bringing (headphones) thats not the name i just can't think of it right now for some reason. anyways there the ones for adults and are for jobs that have a lot of noise.. they work really well for my son. he fell asleep during the fireworks wearing them!!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
    smw73
    (female)

smw73 HB User

I'm an adult with Autism and I hate noise. I wear ear plugs sometimes on long bus trips - it makes it a lot more tolerable. You have to be careful though, because in some situations (especially for a young child) you have to be a lot more attentive e.g. in the city or around traffic. That's my only concern.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
    Sheronor
    (female)

Sheronor HB User

We took my dd to AIT last summer, and we saw results within a few days. Since that time, her receptive speech has really taken off. Her spoken language is still delayed, though. But AIT definitly helped with her noise sensitivity. She used to scream anytime she heard a truck, lawnmower, motorcyle, etc. It was awful.

If you choose AIT, be sure that it's the Berard method.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #11
    kyethra
    (female)

kyethra HB User

i'm an adult with ASD. I really like earplugs. I also like noise canceling headphones. Cotton in the ears is good sometimes when you just want to dampen the sound. I also have a ranking system-- for example some sounds are bad sounds. That means they will get to me pretty soon. Some sounds are very bad sounds. Those are the ones that instantly give me a sort of reaction.

Closed Thread