It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Autism w/OCPD or OCD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
    Autism w/OCPD or OCD?

As most know, a large percentage of Autistics have OCPD, an Obsessive-Compulsive Personality, and some have OCD traits (but not the full disorder) while others have full blown OCD.

The fun part...

I match the OCPD criteria to a T. I feel things are either "wrong" or "right", I hoard everything, perfectionism, moral code, and excessive orderliness and organization.

But then...

At age 2 I felt the need to repeatedly perform ritualistic actions (mine was excessive hand-washing and changing cloths 6x's a day). That compulsion subsided, but now If i step on something, or touch something "wrong" I will get intense anxiety until I go back and "fix" it. I also have obsessions where to such extent I will get panic attacks about ideas that would probably never happen (car accidents, dying, sexual and psycical abuse, etc.) And of coarse I still hoard, still organize and still have to make lists on everything before I perform that action.

Is this Autism, and just OCPD (Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder) or full blown OCD? Klonopin helps some obsessions and helps with most compulsions. Now It's just I feel the need to fix the "right" and "wrong" things that happen or that I touch, or ect. And naturally I'm still 100% picky, still hoard, still organize.

Basically, should I be tested for OCD, or am I just a natural Autistic?

SGH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
    grandma.intense
    Inactive
    (female)

grandma.intense HB User
    Re: Autism w/OCPD or OCD?

I think what you are describing is definitely within normal range. a lot of people worry, get panicky, hoard things, flap their fingers when stressed. It is a way to slow down the brain, I think.
    don't worry, just enjoy life. If it is becoming a problem at work or with other people, get some therapy. Desensitization is key, and also compensating for your behavior with more acceptable behaviors is possible. You sound fine to me.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Hey, SuchGreatHeight! How are you? I haven't talked to you in forever! I have both Asperger's and OCD, so from my experiences, I'd say that you may want to get checked for OCD. The fact that you're having panic attacks over "disgusting images" sounds like a good chance that it's OCD. Asperger's "obsessions" aren't obsessions at all, not in the true definition of the word "obsession." Aspie "obsessions" are really just fixations on topics, and these give us pleasure and relax us. True obsessions are like what you are describing- they are vile and cause the person anxiety. Good luck, God bless, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Gatsby! Im doin pretty well. How are you? It's been a long while!

Anyway, thank you for the tips. I pretty much figured it could be OCD when anxiety hit, and obsessions ruled my brain. Plus, I developed OCD when I was 2yrs old, it looked like it went away. But maybe it never left?

SGH

Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I'm also doing pretty well, SuchGreatHeight! Glad to hear you are, too! Since there isn't a cure for OCD and you were diagnosed with it before, I'd say there's a very good chance that it has returned. You are very wise to question these troubling thoughts, because you have recognized that it is a type of obsession that is not related to the autism. I'm a pure obsessional, so my obsessions are all of the type that you are experiencing- violent/aggressive, blasphemous, and sexual. We really are a lot alike in our neuropsych phenotypes, and I find it interesting that you learned about your high-functioning autism first and are now questioning the OCD. I was the opposite, as I found out I had OCD a few years before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. I hope to talk to you again soon! I'm here, if you have any questions!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread