It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 238
tinymom05 HB User

Does anyone know how to get a paraprofessional for a child with autism going to a school with typical peers? It is not in my child's IEP to have a "paraprofessional" So how do i go about getting my child that help?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,339
rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: paraprofessionals

The only way to get a personal paraprofessional for your child is to have it included in his IEP. As his parent, you can request this and the ARD committee will have to explain why they feel one is not necessary. Do you feel he truly needs a para or will it cause him embarrassment to have someone following him around all day. I wish you well.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 190
Re: paraprofessionals

it is your childs right to be educated within the least restrictive environment. that often includes a one to one aide. do a search on the laws and LRE. all you need to do is educate yourself with a few key phrases that will let the school board know that you know your childs rights and you will be surprised as to what you will get for him.

i learned the hard way when we started out but quickly did my homework and was able to get everything i wanted for my son. the special ed laws are very generously written to support our kids......but the schools try to pull the wool over our eyes and (unfortunately) they often get away with it.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 09-18-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: RI usa
Posts: 5
janepona HB User
Re: paraprofessionals

Paraprofessionals are teacher assistants that can perform academic requirements in the classroom setting only. It does not mean they have been trained or have experience working with children with special needs. What you should request in the IEP is a paraprofessional with special qualifications that relate to your child's special needs. Someone that has been trained in Autism especially.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 238
tinymom05 HB User
Re: paraprofessionals

ok how do i request a parapro in my childs IEP i have no idea who to go to first? Or do i write a letter?

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
rude comment at the pharmacy Aver00 Pain Management 49 12-13-2007 12:43 PM
Frustrated with Public Schools BetsyAnn Autism Spectrum 25 04-16-2006 08:09 AM
Qualifications of aides in public schools SHReed Autism Spectrum 4 01-12-2006 09:28 AM
need info on hepatitis while in prison shadoehawk Hepatitis 6 04-02-2003 12:38 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!