It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• autism and speech dev

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
    peyto
    (female)

peyto HB User
    autism and speech dev

My son is 3years old and diagnosed with autism. Most sites I visit talk of children with no or very little speech and who interact very little. However my son is the oposite and this causes me alot of confusion. I would like to hear from anyone who has a child who was/is very verbal at this age or is this very unusual?
    He is delayed in his speech and language skills however has lots of words and has recently started to speak in short sentences.He has also started to refer himself as I and say 'my leg' for example. He can ask for things he wants also.
    He does however repeat alot of what others say and also his own words. He also keeps asking the same questions over and over.
    He reverses his pronouns very frequently, for example will say'would you like to lie down for me' when we want him to lie down or 'are you tired Ben' when he wants to sleep. He will also repetitively say 'are you ok Ben' or 'Hello Ben, have fun'.
    The main thing I notice about his speech is he is very good at talking about what he is doing or seeing, but that is it and he deosn't really respond to questions other than whats that. He dosn't really talk about the past or what he has done or about other people.
    He also wants to interact, a bit too much sometimes he will not leave us alone,he does not let us play with him its more like he is directing us and if you don't join in his play as he wants he will grab your hand and if you don't do what he wants he goes into a huge meltdown.His play is very repetitive and he likes to include an adult into this.He won't however let other children anywhere near his play.
    He will often get too close to people and will approach anyone in the street, grab there hand and say come on, lets go, cuddle strangers, try to sit next to them etc
    So you see he deosn't sound like the child with autism who cannot talk and deos not want to interact.
    He has many other signs of autism and I have been told so many times over that there is no doubt he is autistic, however because I have never met another child like my son it often leaves me in doubt. I know there are too many signs for it to be nothing and he meets the diagnosis criterea but I often feel confused over his level of functioning.
    Please, please if you are a parent of a child similar to my son or have ann understanding of autism can you share your thoughts with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
    caitlin22
    (female)

caitlin22 HB User
    Re: autism and speech dev

Hi there,

Sorry i don't have much experience of aspergers/autism t really be of help...

I just read your post after i posted my own, i am concerned my daughter may be autistic/aspergers, she sounds very like your son. She is 2.5 and her speech is very clear, she can talk a lot about what is happening right before her etc but little else. She is also very good at interacting with kids and adults, but almost too forward, she would get in a car or go home with them given half a chance! But then freak out if i wasn't right next to her.
    If you read my post it details all her other 'symptoms', are they like your sons?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
    muztech
    (female)

muztech HB User
    Re: autism and speech dev

hi my son is also 3 years old and have same situation , but once he join preschool his skills get improve day by day now he is talking in small sentences . he was doing hand flapping and toe walking long ago but now all of them gone away , he show his needs and chat with other peoples in school , i would suggest u to send him to preschool for atleast 3 full days in week

Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
    princess28
    (female)

princess28 HB User
    Unhappy Re: autism and speech dev

My son is exactly like yours.... Your post is the reason I joined the forum. I just dont know how to help him overcome this so he can learn to answer questions...

Closed Thread

Tags
    autism, diagnosis, echolalia, interactions, speech