It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• tics or stims

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
    peyto
    (female)

peyto HB User
    Question tics or stims

my son is 4 and diagnosed with autism, he does display some sensory behaviour such as hand flapping, toe walking, head shaking , toe walking and also repeated opening and closing of his hands where his thumb and ring finger tap together on each hand. A couple of months ago he kept making a noise with his throat and more recently he will keep coughing and making a wheeze sound, he seems ok some of the day and will then start this repeated coughing and wheezing over 200 times in one day. Its like when he starts he can't stop, he also makes an urh sound like an imature cry and repeats this over and over. I do not know if this is related to his autism or/and if something else is going on. I do not know which of these things he does are stims or tics or something else or how to help him to stop. Anyone have any ideas or have a child with this problem, it is very annoying for the family and also very distracting for him.He is verbal so cannot be lack of communication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
    mallegri
    (female)

mallegri HB User
    Re: tics or stims

I have a 10 year old with autism (classic) and he has developed tics at times. A weird throat clearing noise that lasted a month or so. Then it came back several months later and lasted a week. He now is doing a teeth gritting thing and makes a noise. I don't even know how to explain it. I wish I knew what to tell you. I am at the point where I am almost convinced it's a medication side effect, but I'm not completely sure. I actually emailed our doctor about that tonight. I do understand how it's very annoying and hard on the family. The behavior is so frequent and will make everyone want to lose their minds. I remind myself that my son can't help it. It breaks my heart for him to be this way. I've been googling a bit too much tonight, which is what I do when I'm in a state of desperation. I just feel like there is something we're missing. It seems like with everything we try that he takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The older he gets, the harder it is to swallow. Anyway.... I know this isn't much help, but I do understand. Melissa

Reply Reply

Tags
    autism, sensory, stims, tics