It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Landlord with very loud Grandchild

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
    rajboston
    (female)

rajboston HB User
    Landlord with very loud Grandchild

I live in a private two-family residence, my landlord lives on the first floor of the home. I have lived here for approximately four months and love the neighborhood, the house and my apartment. My landlord is a very kind woman (perhaps too kind, which may well be the basis for much of our issue here) and I would never want to say/do anything to upset her. The problem is this...

She has many grandchildren who are all delightful children. They all come an go from the house frequently but one of her daughters leaves her children constantly, nearly every weekday and absolutely every weekend. The younger of the two is autistic. Not having had many experiences with autism, this is all very new to me but I have attempted at research online (because hey, if it's on the internet must be factual, right?) in an effort to gain a better understanding of what this girl must be going through.

When I first moved in, I was introduced to her, and while not social at all, seemed to be a very nice girl. Her sister is absolutely wonderful, polite and kind. In the first week that I lived here I heard very lound banging and what sounded like yelling. I called my landlord later that day regarding an unrelated matter and she mentioned that her grandaighter had had a fit earlier and that was the source of the noise. She did mention that it happened occasionally but I answered truthfully that it didn't bother me at all. She was true to her word and in my first two months of living here I heard her every now and then. Sometimes for a few minutes and other times for hours. If the fits went on for hours I would often leave the house to run errands. It isn't the yelling that really bothered me, rather the banging, stomping and slamming doors (repeatedly and in quick succession).

About two months ago the fits have grown both in frequency and instensity. It's been gradually increasing and I'm not sure if they're becoming more frequent or if the mother is simply leaving the child with her mother more often. I believe that in the summertime there was a home care solution for the two girls but now that school is back in, there may not be any other childcare options for them.

They are to the point now where it happens at least 6 days every week and always lasts for hours. I was stuck at home because of hurricane Sandy yesterday, and she screamed, yelled and banged around for 14 hours. It's getting to the point that I almost can't take it any longer. I don't want to upset her and I certainly don't want to put the family out and ask them to find other care options for their daughter, but I pay lots of money to live here and I don't even know how to best approach my landlord. I want to do it in a way that is non-threatening and will best approach some sort of resolution.

My questions to the forum are; a) Is it even reasonable to think that a resolution can be found? As stated, I have no experience with Autism and I don't know what is to be expected. b) How can I approach my landlord in the best possible way? I am not angry, and don't intend to approach her in that fashion. I am sympathetic to the situation but want to relate that I feel it's within my rights as tenants to quiet enjoyment of my home (I realize that quiet enjoyment is taken way out of context here from a Real Estate prospective, but it seemed apropos). Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
    MamaBear1977
    (female)

MamaBear1977 HB User
    Re: Landlord with very loud Grandchild

Just move if the noise is too much for you. I can't imagine things will get any better. Unless the landlord's Daughter starts taking her child to daycare, which is very doubtful as daycare is quite costly.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
    berkeley3525
    (male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
    Re: Landlord with very loud Grandchild

I agree with MamaBear. I could not handle all that non stop noise. Since you can afford a high rent look elsewhere. Quality of Life is important and you're not getting it. The child's health issue is not your problem.

Reply Reply