It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• Think I have mild autism?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
    inventivename
    (female)

inventivename HB User
    Think I have mild autism?

Hi to anyone reading this,
    I will try to keep this as short as possible..I am 18 years old and I think I may have mild autism and would love to hear other people's opinions on the matter;
    I have always had anxiety issues and spend most of my life feeling uncomfortable around people but I always put it down to my OCD. I really hate my fingers to touch, especially my index fingers, just talking about it makes me feel unbelievable uncomfortable and somewhat disgusted so yesterday I thought I would search it on Google and see if anyone else had the same problem. I didn't think that it would come up with anything but it came back with loads of autism pages, I was really surprised as I had no idea that the two were related. So anyway I clicked on one of the pages and read about all these people with autism that hated their toes and fingers to touch, just like me. I went on to do some more research on autism and as it turns out I have a lot of the 'symptoms' as it were, for example: I really dislike eye contact with people, I try to avoid as it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable (even around people I know very well) and sometimes my eyes will start watering as a reaction to the anxiety I guess, I am very much an independent person, I spend nearly all of my free time alone in my room and am much happier that way, I find it difficult to keep conversations going and due to that am worried about being alone with people as I know I won't be able to think of things to say no matter how hard I try, I tend to get into routines, as in what I have for breakfast and lunch and I feel somewhat out of place if I don't have one of my usual breakfasts or something like that as I just don't like changes in routine and finally as I mentioned above I am overly sensitive to touch and smell, I can always smell things that others can't and the smallest things hurt me, for example when my hairdresser brushes my hair my scalp really really hurts and I can ever so slightly knock myself against something and my skin will really hurt for ages.
    So all of this makes me think that I might have some form of autism and that is infact why I get so anxious and the OCD is a way of dealing with the anxiety, this is all kind of a revelation to me.
    I would love to know what any of you think as I have absolutely no one to turn to.
    Thanks very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    asperger’s syndrome, autism, mental health