It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board

• How accurate is IQ score for 4-5 year old?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
    alyssaa
    (female)

alyssaa HB User
    How accurate is IQ score for 4-5 year old?

My son is being tested for autism this Monday, September 15th. He is 4 years old and will be turning 5 this December. They will most likely test his IQ. My son does have a problem with receptive and expressive language. I am afraid that his lack of understanding could make his IQ score very low even if it is a non-verbal test. His pediatrician also said that lack of speech could cause lower test scores. One year ago the local elementary school tested his IQ and he scored in the very low range (he was 3 going on 4 years old). He did refuse to do many of the tests. The ones that he did participate in were matching and puzzles and seemed to do decent but he did not get everything right. I am afraid of them trying to say that my son has intellectual disability and putting that label on him. I am afraid he will score low because he often does not even want to try things on his own. He is very dependent on his parents and he does not understand many things like I said. If they think he has a severe problem then I am willing to put him in a more specialized classroom but I would want him to get in there to make improvements for a couple years and get back into mainstream. I do not want him stuck in there. How accurate do you think a IQ score is at this young age? Also, has your child scored low in IQ and got therapy and improved? Does your child go to mainstream school? Did your child have a receptive language problem and has it improved?

He just started Head Start and is supposed to start Kindergarten next year but I am afraid he will not be ready and needs more than just speech therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
    alyssaa
    (female)

alyssaa HB User
    Re: How accurate is IQ score for 4-5 year old?

Please answer. I am very stressed over this whole process.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
    joanne1282
    (female)

joanne1282 HB User

My son was 4 years and 8 months when he got diagnosed with autism. At the age of 4 years 11 months he was given an IQ test where he scored extremely low. He is now 8 1/2 years old and just recently had his IQ re-tested and he came out on the lower side of average which is a vast improvement. He currently excels in Math and struggles in writing. He is in a mainstream classroom but needs a one on one aide with him to assist him because he lacks independence and social skills.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
    sashababe
    (female)

sashababe HB Usersashababe HB Usersashababe HB Usersashababe HB Usersashababe HB Usersashababe HB User

I don't think you can get an accurate IQ score at this young age. If the score comes out high then that is likely to be accurate but a low score doesn't necessarily mean low intelligence but simply that the child isn't engaging with the task due to a whole host of reasons. Good professionals should be well aware of this and hopefully won't let it define the child.

Reply Reply