It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Genetics for RA and my ANA results ... stressed!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
    Succinite
    (female)

Succinite HB UserSuccinite HB User
    Question Genetics for RA and my ANA results ... stressed!

Hello everyone! I am posting here because I'm afraid I have an autoimmune disease. My father has been living with severe Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20+ years now. His cousin and only living relative also has RA. I have been suffering bad headaches and shooting facial pain, along with some hand tremors. The tremors are only occasional, but the headaches are almost constant. I know these aren't RA symptoms, but since I have a quite strong family history of other autoimmune disease, I am wondering if there are others with these symptoms.

I had an MRI today, and missed a call from my doctor regarding that, but also had blood work done, and these are the results listed as *abnormal*:
    RBC - 5.62 (high)
    Hct - 46.2% (high)
    MPV - 5.0 (low)
    Bilirubin - 0.2 (low)
    TSH - they want to retest...borderline low indicating possible hyperthyroid
    ANA - positive, 1:80, speckled pattern

I am a 36 yr. old female, non-smoker

My father's entire family died of diseases or accidents, most at a fairly young age, so there is very little to go on, other than his only living relative and he both have RA.

I am scared and having a lot of anxiety about this. I have two young kids and was planning on going back to work soon, but with these headaches and always feeling drained, I don't know what to do. Any help, guidance, or sharing will be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for a substitution for medical advice, just help until my follow up appointment!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Genetics for RA and my ANA results ... stressed!

Hi and welcome. Grave's (hyperthyroidism) can cause weight loss, shakiness, hand tremors, sweating, etc.---or it can be asymptomatic. Also, while autoimmunes can run in families, family members don't necessarily fall prey to the SAME ones. (For example, my sis has Hashimoto's, I have lupus.) And some family members are spared. i.e., family history isn't a "surefire" indication, yet it's certainly good to know your family history.

ANA alone isn't diagnostic of any condition because it can be positive in so many, also because a number of other findings, depending on the condition, are always additionally required. For the record, ANA of 1:80 is likely viewed as low; the first level reported is 1:40. Modest elevations can occur simply due to family tendency or passing infection (viral or bacterial).

I hope you catch up with your doctor to discuss these results. If your next labs still show low or borderline TSH, you could seek out an endocrinologist, as they're likely to be better versed than the average PCP. Whatever happens, though, I'd want TSH monitored. BTW, some people who are initially HYPERthyroid can later turn HYPOthryroid, so, either way, I'd follow that red flag for TSH that's been raised.

Please let us know how your MRI turns out & what happens next. Meanwhile, we're here when you feel like talking! Sending you warm wishes, Vee

Last edited by VeeJ; 05-29-2015 at 07:15 AM. Reason: clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to VeeJ For This Useful Post:
    Succinite (05-29-2015)
    Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
    Succinite
    (female)

Succinite HB UserSuccinite HB User

Hi Vee!

Thank you for the warm welcome I don't know if I should be posting here, or neurology or where. My doctor doesn't know what is wrong with me, but first suspected trigeminal neuralgia, however given the blood test results, and now the MRI, I'm being sent to a Neurologist. I still need to have the TSH retested though.

I did have the MRI and got a call back regarding the results. Luckily they didn't find any tumors or anything critical, but said I had several hyperintensities in the right frontal lobe, which is also where I'm getting my pain. I've been asked several times if I get migraines, because what is showing up is common in migraine sufferers, but until recently, I only got minor headaches, and they were usually bilateral and nothing like what's been happening the past month and a half.

Are there any autoimmune conditions that present this way? About a month or so before the headaches, I did have what I thought was a sinus infection. What seemed like actual pus (and dried pus) - sorry for the gross description was coming out of my right nostril. I used a Netipot to flush my sinuses and a LOT of very dark, thick gunk came out, including a lot of blood, even what looked like clots. This went on for a couple of days, and it was over a weekend, so I was going to call back on Monday to make a doctor appointment, but it seemed to be going away. While I had this, I also had horrible right-side pain in my head and face. After it cleared up rather quickly, I was back to normal, so didn't see the doctor until a month later when these headaches started.

I have been checked for signs of sinus infection, and nothing showed up in my MRI related to this. I'm wondering if a sinus infection or something could have caused actual brain damage or a brain infection or something that triggered all of this (?) My dad's R.A. was triggered by a simple abscessed tooth.

Another strange incident - around the time I got this sinus infection thing, my mother also got very sick with severe cold symptoms. She woke up one morning with NO hearing in her right ear, and hasn't gotten any hearing back since. They gave her antibiotics and it did nothing to help. Could this be related somehow? I know you might not be able to answer all of these questions, and maybe I'm in the wrong place lol, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. Trigeminal neuralgia can accompany MS, so I think that's possibly one condition the neurologist will seek to rule out. But I imagine "just migraines" is a possibility, too, from what you wrote. (Having had migraines, my heart goes out to anyone who gets them, or gets anything in that ballpark!)

I'd definitely tell them about the Netipot, making sure to specify whether you used STERILE water. (Tap water is a no-no.) And of course your borderline-low TSH needs follow-through. Honestly, it may feel like a lot to work through, but until you know otherwise, keep believing that you could get thru all of this without something totally major turning up. While not knowing is uncomfortable (understatement), it's just too soon to know, is my point. So please hang tough, OK?

I think that sometimes when two things happen close in time, like abcessed tooth and onset of RA (as in your father's case), we infer causality when perhaps we shouldn't. When you think on it, people with an inflammatory AI brewing, like RA or lupus, typically can't fight off infections as well as others can. For one reason, WBC may be depressed... I used to get infections frequently, but hardly ever since gaining a hold on my lupus. That said, I'm surely no expert on causality, and maybe different scenarios are possible... Anyway, looking forward to reading your updates. Bye for now.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Succinite View Post
    Hello everyone! I am posting here because I'm afraid I have an autoimmune disease. My father has been living with severe Rheumatoid Arthritis for 20+ years now. His cousin and only living relative also has RA. I have been suffering bad headaches and shooting facial pain, along with some hand tremors. The tremors are only occasional, but the headaches are almost constant. I know these aren't RA symptoms, but since I have a quite strong family history of other autoimmune disease, I am wondering if there are others with these symptoms.

I had an MRI today, and missed a call from my doctor regarding that, but also had blood work done, and these are the results listed as *abnormal*:
    RBC - 5.62 (high)
    Hct - 46.2% (high)
    MPV - 5.0 (low)
    Bilirubin - 0.2 (low)
    TSH - they want to retest...borderline low indicating possible hyperthyroid
    ANA - positive, 1:80, speckled pattern

I am a 36 yr. old female, non-smoker

My father's entire family died of diseases or accidents, most at a fairly young age, so there is very little to go on, other than his only living relative and he both have RA.

I am scared and having a lot of anxiety about this. I have two young kids and was planning on going back to work soon, but with these headaches and always feeling drained, I don't know what to do. Any help, guidance, or sharing will be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for a substitution for medical advice, just help until my follow up appointment!

Reply Reply

Tags
    ana, autoimmune disease, headache, rheumatoid