It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Ana test results help ... lol

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
    fibrogirl79
    (female)

fibrogirl79 HB User
    Question Ana test results help ... lol

1 to 160 Notes for: Homogeneous Negative <=1:40 Borderline =1:80 Positive >=1 to 160 . COMMENT Notes for: Note: A positive ANA result may occur in healt hy individuals or be associated with a variety of diseases . See interpre­ tation below : Pattern Antigen Detected Suggested Disea se Association ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Homogeneous DNA(ds,ss,), High titers ­ S LE (Smooth) Histone ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Speckled Sm, RNP, SCL­70, SLE,MCTD,Scler oderma,Sjogrens SS­A/SS­B ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Nucleolar SCL­70, PM­1/SCL High titers Scleroderma Polymyositis/Scleroderma Overlap ___________ ________________ ___________ __________________ Centromere Centromere PSS w/Crest syndrome variable ___________ ________________ ___________ __________________ . LABCORP BURLINGTON LABCORP KANSAS CITY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Ana test results help....lol

Hi. I've seen labs with similar footnotes. I think these are just memory jogs for your doctor, to remind him to consider the possibility of all conditions listed. i.e., the footnote isn't saying you HAVE any of the conditions, it's just giving your doctor some gentle reminders to compare your labs & clinical findings to the accepted diagnostic criteria for these conditions. (Those criteria are very detailed & they are what counts, not ANA. Remember that ANA alone doesn't diagnose anything.) If I were you, I'd ask my dr. to explain, just to be sure.

That said, I think the notes maybe mean the following. (But I had trouble reading b/c of the spacing.)

ANA can be low-positive in healthy people.

The rest of the note, such as it is, suggests further tests to do for the certain ANA patterns: Homogenous, Speckled, Nucleolar, and Centromere.

But I can't tell which pattern describes your findings. Can you see your pattern in the main body of the lab report? Also, what was your ANA value? Those are the two missing pieces of info I think you need to make more sense of all this & then to ask your dr. some specific questions. Hang in there & let us know what happens.

Last edited by VeeJ; 10-15-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarity & typos

Old 10-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
    fibrogirl79
    (female)

fibrogirl79 HB User

Thank you for responding . What you see is all that was on the lab results the Dr gave me and that's what I was confused about is my results 1 to 160... cause that's the first thing on the test results after my name ect... so confusing let me try looking at the paper a little better cause I belive it said speckled. But the way you explained it made more sense than I was making out of it thank you

Last edited by fibrogirl79; 10-18-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
    fibrogirl79
    (female)

fibrogirl79 HB User

1 to 160
    Notes for: Homogeneous
    Negative <=1:40
    Borderline =1:80
    Positive >=1 to 160 .
    COMMENT Notes for: Note: A positive ANA result may occur in healt hy individuals or be associated with a variety of diseases .
    See interpretation below : Pattern Antigen Detected Suggested Disea se Association ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Homogeneous DNA(ds,ss,), High titers ­ S LE (Smooth) Histone ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Speckled Sm, RNP, SCL­70, SLE,MCTD,Scler oderma,Sjogrens SS­A/SS­B ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Nucleolar SCL­70, PM­1/SCL High titers Scleroderma Polymyositis/Scleroderma Overlap

___________ ________________ ___________ __________________ Centromere Centromere PSS w/Crest syndrome variable ___________ ________________ ___________ __________________ . LABCORP BURLINGTON LABCORP KANSAS CITY

Last edited by fibrogirl79; 10-18-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
    fibrogirl79
    (female)

fibrogirl79 HB User

Anti-DNA (DS) Ab Qn 28 U/mL Range:0-99 Flag:
    Notes for: Anti-DNA (DS) Ab Qn
    Equivocal 100-120
    Positive>120

Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Fibro, could you remind us where you stand? Which doctor (GP or rheum) has said what? Have you been told that you have fibro but nothing else so far?

Based on your last () version of that NASTY footnote, here's what I'd ask, preferably of a rheumatologist (in that rheums are almost always far better at the AI's than GP's):
    1. If my anti-ds-DNA is only 28, that reads as "negative" per the scale for that autoantibody, correct? (Remember that very high anti-ds-DNA correlates to SLE, high in this instance being > 120 per the scale you cited. To me your value looks totally negative, very low in the 0-99 "negative" range. People can have tiny levels due to ordinary things like viruses. My anti-ds-DNA is often in this range, btw, yet my rheum doesn't even blink. Why? Because it's NEGATIVE. What he watches more: the one I've tested HIGH for, anti-Ro (SSA). But he always runs the gamut of AB subtypes, just to be safe.)
    2. What else could cause an ANA of 1:160? Based on my symptoms and lifetime medical history, were all other appropriate "subtypes" run? (ANA is the general, i.e., "threshold" test. "Subtypes" are the SPECIFIC tests, e.g., anti-ds-dna, anti-ss-dna, anti-SM, anti-RNP, SCL-70, SSA = anti-Ro, SSB = anti-La, etc. Ask for all that were run to be pointed out to you. It can't hurt to see that they were run & hopefully negative.)
    3. If the doctor says your labs haven't revealed anything autoimmune to date, then about your SYMPTOMS? Are you taking anything? Is it for Fibro? Should you be trying some med if you haven't already?
    Don't you just love AI labs? Clear as mud, huh? Just yell if this isn't what you're after, OK? Hugs, Vee

Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
    fibrogirl79
    (female)

fibrogirl79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
    Fibro, could you remind us where you stand? Which doctor (GP or rheum) has said what? Have you been told that you have fibro but nothing else so far?

Based on your last () version of that NASTY footnote, here's what I'd ask, preferably of a rheumatologist (in that rheums are almost always far better at the AI's than GP's):
    1. If my anti-ds-DNA is only 28, that reads as "negative" per the scale for that autoantibody, correct? (Remember that very high anti-ds-DNA correlates to SLE, high in this instance being > 120 per the scale you cited. To me your value looks totally negative, very low in the 0-99 "negative" range. People can have tiny levels due to ordinary things like viruses. My anti-ds-DNA is often in this range, btw, yet my rheum doesn't even blink. Why? Because it's NEGATIVE. What he watches more: the one I've tested HIGH for, anti-Ro (SSA). But he always runs the gamut of AB subtypes, just to be safe.)
    2. What else could cause an ANA of 1:160? Based on my symptoms and lifetime medical history, were all other appropriate "subtypes" run? (ANA is the general, i.e., "threshold" test. "Subtypes" are the SPECIFIC tests, e.g., anti-ds-dna, anti-ss-dna, anti-SM, anti-RNP, SCL-70, SSA = anti-Ro, SSB = anti-La, etc. Ask for all that were run to be pointed out to you. It can't hurt to see that they were run & hopefully negative.)
    3. If the doctor says your labs haven't revealed anything autoimmune to date, then about your SYMPTOMS? Are you taking anything? Is it for Fibro? Should you be trying some med if you haven't already?
    Don't you just love AI labs? Clear as mud, huh? Just yell if this isn't what you're after, OK? Hugs, Vee
    Hi I took the suggestion to ask questions about my labs and lets say it didnt go over very well my pcp is a internal medicine dr. And decided to turn my 17 min long follow up appointment yesterday as a stress reliver for himself.. 8 min of my appointment was him literally yelling at me threatening to throw me out his words and he answered no questions... he answered my questions with a question... I dont think he realized he was being recorded my 10 yearold daughter who he did this infront of recorded it alll on her cell.... anyways he diagnosed me with fibromyalgia in 2003 ish after he said I had a positive ana and suspected MCTD started me on plaquanil then at a follow up he said I think u have fibro took me off plaquanil and put me on lyrica. He sent me to a rheumatologist once in 2003 , she only ran labs on my thyroid and agreed with his findings.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:44 AM   #8
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Ana test results help ... lol

I'm so sorry that happened. I got yelled at, too, and it felt awful. But I still think the main point is how many abnormalities have showed up in your labs, remembering that ANA alone doesn't diagnose anything, AND that an ANA of 1:160 is considered only *slightly* elevated. But if in all his yelling he didn't reiterate those points, maybe it's time for a new GP?

Or if you were to develop NEW symptoms that he doesn't even want to hear about, that's also signals time to change.

The other issue: has he run all appropriate tests? If he HAS, yet nothing else has cropped up, then he's "correct" in his thinking although totally incorrect in his behavior.

I have a friend who has "just fibro" and is often extremely miserable despite Lyrica. Every few years she sees my rheum & has tests redone: basic labs, all the special antibody tests, thyroid, urinalysis, X-rays for RA, once a muscle biopsy to look for myositis---yet she's still "only fibro".

Reply Reply