It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Will I be able to run again?!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
    dondons1uk
    (female)

dondons1uk HB User
    Will I be able to run again?!

Hi All

Well firstly these sorts of sites have stopped me going mad over the past few months so thanks!

First I understand it is usual to do a summary. I've had funny health things on and off over the years. Most significant is interstitial cystitis diagnosed 10yrs ago. I had a huge allergic reaction to MSG about 2 yrs ago, in hospital for 4 days over Christmas! Allergic to penicillin and trimethoprim. Hair falls out at times. Serious fatigue at times.

This year its been hell tbh. Started with pain in left knee after running. Thought was a strain. Went from swollen knee, to butt pain, to sciatica. Wrist and elbow on left side also hurting but didn't link the two. Went from bad to worse. Anyway had a herniated disc causing sciatica but didn't explain the phenomenal weakness in my left arm and leg, nor the intermittent inflammation etc.

Blood tests showed an ANA of 1:1280. I hadn't appreciated how high that was until recently but explains why I was suddenly having blood tests, MRIS, lumbars etc. Think the docs were quite worried for a time!

They have decided now I do not have lupus nor MS or anything like that so am very happy. But they have said it is an autoimmune disorder with links to Sjorgrens Syndrome (because of the IS, I also have dry eyes and get mouth ulcers etc).

Anyway doc wants to start me slowly on meds without rushing into the scary stuff like steroids which I am relieved about.

I totally forgot to ask him - will I get back to my physical best?! I used to run 10k races a lot, I used to do obstacle races, would come like 4th lady. Quite a strong little bean. Now I have to get people to lift my shopping for me!

I am starting on hyrdoxchoroquine to start.

I know they take months to kick in and I know I may need to play around with meds.

But is there anyone there with autoimmune diseases that does get back to physical activity? Or is the goal just not to be in significant pain all the time! Which is of course an admirable goal in itself.

Thanks all.

PS I appreciate this may seem insensitive. I know there are people just wanting to get out of bed in the morning. I am not meaning to be insensitive. But everyone has to set their own personal goals and mine is just to run a 10k and windsurf again is all at this time. If it gets worse my goals can shift but I need to know right now for my own sanity what this all means longer term.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Will I be able to run again?!

Welcome to the boards. I think you may well be able to get back to running, perhaps with modifications and depending on how you respond to treatment. Since your back and knees are a problem, running on a cushioned track or dirt rather than concrete would be best. It will likely take 3-4 months to get the effect of the Placquenil, and then you'll be better able to see what works. Sun exposure can make some autoimmune symptoms worse, so I would watch for that, and avoid prolonged sun exposure. I am curious how your Drs ruled out lupus. I hope you respond well to the Placquenil and feel better soon.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
    Phillygal34
    (female)

Phillygal34 HB User
    Re: Will I be able to run again?!

I'm new to all this but it's a major concern of mine as well. Last year I ran a half marathon. Now I'm pushing for 5ks. Best of luck to you.

Reply Reply