It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• ANA 1:1280 … Doctors won't diagnose

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
    eshort5
    (female)

eshort5 HB User
    ANA 1:1280 … Doctors won't diagnose

Hello all! So I'm a 21 year old white female that has been dealing with chronic health issues for years that have been unexplained and my doctors aren't being much help. So back story I was having chest pains, constipation, and severe stomach pain(lower and upper). Finally a year ago they do a CT scan and I have a 5.4 cm cyst on my ovary AND an infected gallbladder. So they take the gallbladder out and the cyst goes away. Fast forward to now I have chronic GI problems. My pain is worse, I throw up bile constantly, nauseas everyday and morning, I get gastroenteritis constantly, and still constipated. On a whim my dermo did a ANA test because my mom and grandmother both have dermatomyositis. Well its positive 1:1280 homogenous and speckled. All other blood work, extensively done, is normal. 2 rheumatologist say this is like a false positive type thing and maybe one day it'll get really bad and they can then diagnose it. My other symptoms include: skins rashes and sensitivity, dry skin, dry mouth and nose, fatigue, muscle aches and soreness(like the flu), constant low grade fever, migraines, constipation, and raynauds phenomenon. My GI is doing a motility test for my esophagus and stomach, but I feel like the ANA has to be an indication of something….She mentioned my thyroid but wants to wait 4 months to do the test. Why wait? I have no clue because I definitely feel sick everyday of my life and I am not a wimp. I feel like at this point I have to be on the floor to get anyone to take my problem seriously. Could this be a thyroid problem? Also since autoimmune disorders are so common in my family, it's scary to just wait. What should I do next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2015, 05:09 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: ANA 1:1280 … Doctors won't diagnose

Hi & welcome. I'm sorry for your problems, not easy! I'm just a patient but I believe that an ANA of 1:1280 is substantially elevated and thus unlikely to be a false reading, or to have been caused by "only" viral or bacterial infection.

When you say your "GI" is doing motility tests, is she a gastroenterologist? Has anyone recommended colonoscopy, to rule in/out the GI autoimmunes (Crohn's, Celiac, ulcerative colitis), or some type of blockage, for that matter?

Re the rheumatology tests, did you get copies to see which "ANA subtypes" were run?

Re thyroid tests, I believe hypothyroidism can cause dry skin, constipation, cold hands/feet regardless of room temp, joint pain, even rashes. Do you know your LAST recorded values for TSH, T3 and T4? (I have to wonder if MAYBE your doctor is waiting 4 months only because she's expecting your values to have finally moved enough to create a dx. If so, it would be nice if she'd said that, so you'd understand the delay!)

Sjogren's syndrome can cause many of the same symptoms and so can lupus.

Re lupus, does UV exposure seem to be a trigger for your rashes? Many of the lupus rashes are photosensitive. There are about 15 or so lupus rashes (the lupus board has descriptions), yet many doctors seem to know only the 2 most famous ones, malar and discoid. (I say that from personal experience, call me cynical. .) Could you describe your rashes? Do they itch, burn, scar or depigment? Where located on body? Shape, color, etc.? And have you ever seen a dermatologist or dermatopathologist for them?

Has your weight changed? Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain, hair loss, cold hands & feet, rashes, joint pain, constipation, etc.

But all these conditions can occur in multiples, meaning can co-exist with one another, so I believe your doctors shouldn't rule anything out prematurely. And no, you are so not a wimp. You've got a lot going on, imo. Looking forward to hearing more & sending hugs, Vee

Reply Reply