It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• In need of some direction

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User
    In need of some direction

I'm a 26 year old male in need of some direction. About 8 months ago I went to see doctor cause I was have sever chest pain around were the sternum and ribs meet. I also was having some swelling in my neck around the thyroid. My energy levels were down, I was feeling cold all the time. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid and started on levothyroxine 50. I was instructed to take otc vitamin d 5000 iu cause my vitamin to levels were at 22. Also my platelet count was slightly below average. Now eight months later i'm still not feeling much better. Here some numbers to look at from latest lab after being on medication levothyroxine 50:
    free t4 1.10
    tsh 2.120
    microsome antibody, thyroid 3.6
    vitamin d, 25 hydroxyl 36.6
    I just feel like maybe its time to start looking elsewhere and the doctors just tell me I'm just stressed. My wife and I are ready to start having kids and we are just really waiting on my health to get were it needs to be.
    Current symptoms from worse bothersome to least
    Brain fog/headaches/numb, tingly, itching scalp/lack of energy/reoccurring chest pain/dry skin/super cold all the time(low body tempature)/occasional soreness in armpit/hard stools/hair thinning

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2015, 01:31 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: In need of some direction

Hi and welcome! I'm just a patient, so please read in that light. First, I'm sorry for your problems, and I think you're smart to be raising these questions.
    From having friends & relatives with thyroid problems, it seems to me that many of your symptoms "fit" hypothyroidism, but maybe not all, so I wonder if your doctors checked you for OTHER autoimmune conditions as well?

Several things that caught my attention:
    • pain where sternum and ribs meet, which makes me think of costochondritis, inflammation of rib cartilage.
    • recurring chest pain, which makes me think of things like pleurisy.
    • soreness in armpits, which makes me think of lymph swelling, seen in AI's like lupus, and with infections, etc.
    • low platelets. Can be caused by autoantibodies attacking platelets, also by bleeding disorders (but I imagine there are more causes).

In your shoes, I'd want to know if full AI tests were run, starting with ANA (antinuclear antibody, a threshold test), also more specific tests for "ANA subtypes". The subtype tests vet for conditions like lupus, antiphospholipid syndrome (a blood clotting disorder than can accompany lupus), and what I call "close cousins" to lupus (mixed connective tissue disease, etc.)

A rheumatologist would be your best choice for such tests. They're better at choosing which panels to run; they use labs known to be good at these tests (they're specialty tests); and they're better at interpreting results in context of your lifetime medical history and current symptoms.

Another possibility for your low platelets: maybe a hematologist.

Question: do you have copies of all your recent labs? There can be subtle clues in "basic" labs, so I'm wondering if any other values have been off...

But I hope others here who have thyroid problems chip in (I have only lupus). Anyway, I hope you persevere! Looking forward to hearing more & sending best wishes. Bye for now.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User

Latest and only lab a have. I've discarded previous ones.

Sodium 142
    Potassium 4.2
    Chloride 104
    Co2 total 27
    Anion gap 11.0
    Glucose serum 83
    BUN 12
    Creatinine 0.78
    Est gfr >60
    Calcium 9.6
    Calcium, corrected 9.2
    Protein total 7.0
    Albumin serum 4.50
    Bilirubin total 0.8
    Alkaline phosphates 48
    Alt 12
    Ast 16
    Osmality(calculated) 282
    T4 free 1.10
    Tsh 2.120
    Microsome antibody thyroid 3.6*
    Vitamin d, 25 hydroxy 36.6*
    WBC count 6.1
    Rbc 5.25
    Hemoglobin 15.9
    Hematocrit 43.1
    Platelet count 159
    Neutrophils absolute # 4.0
    Segmented neutrophils % 66
    Lymphocytes % 26.7
    Monocytes % 5.8
    Eosinophils % 1.2
    Basophils % 0.3
    Mcv 82.1
    Mch 30.3
    Mchc 36.9
    Rdw 12.7
    Mpv 11.2

Lab ranges were not provided on my copy

Old 12-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi. I'd keep thinking on tests NOT run. In addition to the ones suggested earlier, I just thought of another, Vitamin B-12, which can deplete in AI's. And interestingly, when B-12 is low, platelet production can slow down. (I was a foggy blob when my B-12 tanked, before I was dx'ed with lupus.)

And although I've been told by friends that thyroid meds can take awhile to square away---that they still lose hair, feel cold & tired, etc. even after being on meds for a long time---I think you're right about getting checked by another doctor. How could that hurt? Makes no sense NOT to double-check, really, given that thyroid issues are permanent in nature AND that it would be wise to rule out additional conditions.

Plus, doctors who suggest "stress" aren't helpful. It's what they say when they've stopped thinking, imo. Please let us know how you fare. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User

Thank you for responding. I'll definitely suggest these test you guys are recommending. I'm just ready to get this mess squared away

Reply Reply

Tags
    autoimmune, thyroid