It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• New here - please read

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-15-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
    IndyFibro
    (female)

IndyFibro HB User
    New here - please read

Hello all,

I went to my first Rheumatologist visit yesterday. He gave me a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and prescribed Lyrica almost immediately. I just posted on the Fibro board but really think it could be something else in the autoimmune family. (Have already set up a second opinion visit with a different Rheumatologist.)

I've been doing my own research for months and am quite confused - suspect autoimmune disorder but not sure which one, suspect RA or thyroid issue but past blood tests have come back normal. I am just looking for any similar stories / symptoms for the ones below.

About me: 46, female, married with three kids, stressful executive job, normal weight, low blood pressure, adopted and don't know any family history, normal health besides the below symptoms which started about two years ago:

- Joint pain, largely symmetrical, especially in knees
    - Hip pain, more prominent on left side, extends to knee
    - Extremely tender to the touch all over - (it hurts to hug someone)
    - Stiffness after sitting or in same position for longer than 15 minutes
    - Daily headaches
    - Vertigo, dizziness
    - Jaw & ear pain, popping in jaw / ears, poor hearing according to my family (but teenagers mumble, right? ha ha)
    - Occasional blurred vision, like there is a film coating over my eyes
    - Heart palpitations, wheezing, shortness of breath
    - Exhausted all the time! Feel tired even after sleeping.
    - Excessive gas, bloating - stomach discomfort immediately after a meal
    - Fingers and toes always cold - even in the summer months
    - Difficulty concentrating and remembering things, feel disorganized a lot
    - Sensitivity to noise, light, environment - hard to explain but when someone shuts a door it sounds like slamming to me - I am constantly looking for the TV remote b/c it sounds like shouting, etc.
    - Anxiety around crowds and in social situations outside of work, feel like I want to "hide" if that makes sense.
    - Depression - have lost both parents in the last five years and Dr. prescribed Wellbutrin, which helps some, but still prone to feeling sad or hopeless

Past health issues include:
    - Bulging / herniated disc in neck - successful spinal fusion surgery in 2011
    - Continuously test positive for Epstein Barr virus and have had mono diagnosis 3+ times since late teens
    - Elevated liver enzymes since 2012
    - Foot pain - just had bunion surgery a few weeks ago

Currently taking Wellbutrin for depression, Prilosec for stomach upset, daily vitamin and fish oil supplements. Regular exercise and massage help with symptoms.

Sorry so long but am hoping to connect with those of you having any similarities. I want to solve this mystery and come up with a plan instead of blindly just pill popping!

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
    kcm1980
    (female)

kcm1980 HB User
    Re: New here - please read

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Have you had any residual neck pain after your fusion? You might search the web, dizziness, vertigo, headaches after neck surgery. I've had what I felt was a panic attach but when checked my Blood pressure was extremely high. My symptoms were similar, heart palpitations, SOB, feeling out of control. Very scarry. It seems that when you have one autoimmune disease it's acompanied by another. I have RA and Fibro. All the normal RA test were negative my Rheumy ran Anti-CCP with positive results. Some people are very sensitive to medications. MD's aren't always checking for interactions. At one time I had 3 MD's writing scrips. I finally went to my GP and had him sort through my meds because I felt like I was a walking zombi.

I hope my similar experiences are helpful. Best of luck! Kim

Reply Reply