It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Do any autoimmune diseases affect your level of attractiveness

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
    May2013
    (female)

May2013 HB User
    Do any autoimmune diseases affect your level of attractiveness

Hi,
    I've been suffering from something since 2010 and whatever it is got worse after a cosmetic surgery procedure I had in 2011. I am not diagnosed with anything. I have a goiter, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, depression, and one bloodwork said I had high platelets. I've had several since and nothing was unordinary. I had all thyroid bloodwork done. Ive had hormones tested and vitamins tested. I never had the ANA tests done but I'm thinking about seeing a rheumatologist. One thing I noticed was that from day to day my appearance goes from attractive to really ugly. I can tell also by how people treat me, they're more agressive when I appear unattractive. It's disturbing. I thought maybe it was hormones but I think there is more to it.
    I am cutting out gluten at the moment and next i will try cutting dairy. I am taking probiotics which seem to help leading me to believe there is a digestive or immune element to whats wrong with me.
    Anyone have similar things happening? I know it sounds crazy but its something I've noticed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: Do any autoimmune diseases affect your level of attractiveness

Hi. My sis has thyroid problems which have greatly changed the shape of her face and throat. Swollen lymph nodes, from infection or autoimmune in nature, can definitely affect one's appearance. Are you seeing an endocrinologist? Since you have a goiter, I think seeing an endocrinologist is a "must", to keep on top of thyroid values, including the possibility of anti-thyroid antibodies. Perhaps the endo could run at least the basic ANA, then sit down with you to discuss goiter, also whether seeing a rheum makes sense. Please let us know what happens. Sending warm wishes.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
    luca689
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Scleroderma can and does alter your appearance but not on a temporary basis. Sjogren's can make your salivary glands swell which can change your appearance temporarily but you know when that happens. It's the oddest sensation, LOL.

Thyroid symptoms can certainly affect one like that and addressing that in view of your goiter sounds like a logical place to start, in any event.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-19-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I know I look different day to day, depending on how I slept, how much pain I am in, whether I have the energy to "fix up", or even dress decently to go out. My lupus and RA have changed my appearance partially from the disease, and partially from the treatment. I have "chipmunk cheeks" from Prednisone, skin blotches from hyperpigmentation and rashes, thin, wirey hair, etc. and my "countenance" is happy or sad depending on how I feel. So, yes, it is apparent at times that I suffer from something. It takes 3X longer to look "good" when I go out than it used to. Sometimes I give up, sometimes I try and succeed. It is not your imagination!

Old 01-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
    May2013
    (female)

May2013 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I want to mention that I did see a endo and got all the thyroid bloodwork done. T3, t4, tsh, reverse t3 and antibodies. All came back within range. I was told to get an ultrasound on the goiter annually which I have been doing for four years. This past November I had to get a biopsy on a nodule on the goiter. It turned out to be non cancerous. So I'm monitoring the goiter and seeing the endo but they're finding nothing.

Reply Reply