It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• High levels of antibodies in blood test

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
    Digirl7
    (female)

Digirl7 HB User
    High levels of antibodies in blood test

I have a history of Graves Disease but have been in remission for 11 yrs. My thyroid tests came back normal but the antibodies test came back high and the nurse mentioned hashimotos? i dont see the doc til Monday and Im consumed with so many fears. Anyone have some information or insight? Thanks so much. Di

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: High levels of antibodies in blood test

If your thyroid tests are normal and you have no thyroid symptoms then your doctor will probably only want to monitor your thyroid labs once or twice a year. Many people with antibodies maintain normal thyroid function and never need treatment. Others may eventually progress to hypothyroidism and need hormone replacement but that may be many years down the road. Neither scenario is a given but even if you should become hypothyroid it is treatable and you have time to learn the possible signs of a problem so earlier treatment can be started. Please do not lose sleep over this.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
    Digirl7
    (female)

Digirl7 HB User

Thank you for replying!!!! So you are saying you have high levels of thyroid antibodies and be fine? I am having symptoms but not severe. My doc referred me to an endocrinologist and is doing an ultrasound of my thyroid in the meantime.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Sorry I missed your post. You can have high levels and otherwise normal thyroid labs and few or no symptoms so may not be treated.The antibodies are a sign that your body may be attacking your thyroid. You may or may not eventually become hypothyroid. They will probably want to keep an eye on your thyroid, lab tests, and symptoms just in case.

You might want to post any more hashi questions to the thyroid section. There are more people there with hashi's that may see your post.

Good luck and let us know what happens. I'll try to keep an eye on this board.

Reply Reply