It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Tendon inflammation not due to wear and tear

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #31
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User
    Re: Tendon inflammation not due to wear and tear

Thanks for the input.

The derm said I needed to go in when I get the rash. Highly unlikely as it passes quickly and the other rashes were all last summer. And considering I'm now on the meds is it unlikely that I'll get any more rashes? As don't the meds help with the rashes?

I've not heard back from the third ant-coagulant test so taking it it's negative again. Thinking the first was just a fluke!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #32
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Patients can get rashes even after starting hydroxychloroquine. While the med "helps" photosensitive patients, it doesn't necessarily fully prevent rashes or turn the patient photo-insensitive.

I knew my rashes were hugely photosensitive (I'm an anti-Ro patient). So I waited 1-1/2 years, to give the med time to build in my system, then went swimming & kayaking on a bright sunny day. Ton of 50+ waterproof sunblock. Huge straw hat. Result: biggest batch of lesions I'd ever had.

I believe photosensitivity varies quite a bit from patient to patient. If *you* believe you are, it would be prudent to discuss with your doctor before trying anything bold like I did. And whatever the answer, maybe make haste slowly.

Another thought: if yours are indeed lupus rashes, lupus patients are actually "eligible" for MULTIPLE kinds of rashes. (I've had 3 kinds myself.) Discoid lesions can ruin hair & skin permanently, by depigmentation, scarring, and even causing permanent hair loss, none of which you want. I got one large discoid---on my face naturally---and required plastic surgery because it wouldn't heal. Cost a pretty penny & hurt horribly. Not my best moment...

The following user gives a hug of support to VeeJ:
    iggyoggy (04-13-2016)
    Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #33
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

Gosh you really have to avoid the sun, you are highly sensitive to it.

And you poor thing, having to go through all of that.

What country are you in?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #34
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

I'm in the U.S., not even a tropical state, and I love the outdoors... but there are so many worse things in life, for sure. I hit, in my late 30's, a turning point, when suddenly sun became my enemy. You may have a totally different experience. Main thing is to feel better, do all that's possible to prevent whatever is going on from worsening, go for checkups, etc. And I didn't mean to alarm you, only to encourage caution & attentiveness. Ever onward, as they say!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #35
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

You haven't alarmed me. I've just gained more knowledge. Glad you got to the bottom of it all.

I have Raynaud's do you, and do you get chest pains? Mine get worse after the sun. Sorry for all the questions.

And I don't live in London. like it says on here! I'm up north.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #36
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good morning. I don't have Raynaud's; my mom did. I have chest pains only occasionally these days. I had the racing heart with chest pain really often before dx, just with mild exertion, like dog walking. Those episodes shocked me because I kept myself fit. Now they occur only very rarely. I avoid/block sun because it doesn't merely trigger rashes, it causes all my typical symptoms to flare.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #37
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

Yes I'm the same Veej, sets off all symptoms.

I've not had a good few days at all. Thursday I had a bed migraine and then came down with a bacterial throat infection. Been to out of hours today and I'm on penicillin.

Hope you are managing well.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #38
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

I've noticed that my eyebrows and eyelashes look different-in a good way, kind of more there! Is it likely that it could be from taking the plaquinil?!

Old 04-19-2016, 03:04 AM   #39
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My hair & skin improved after starting Plaquenil, but I think likely because my vitamin D and B-12 levels improved, my dehydrating GI episodes stopped, and I no longer was exposed to sun. Hope you're feeling better!

Old 05-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #40
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

Hi everyone.

I've been on hydroxychloroquine for 8 weeks now. I experienced benefits very early on. These are, generally feeling well with so much more stamina, no more chest pain, no more headaches, daily bowel movements which I've never had before, no more hand rashes and a feeling that my ear wants to unblock (has anyone else experienced this?). I've heard that you can get inflammation in the ears too?

My rheumy has therefore decided to carry giving me the drug (through speaking to the secretary). And I'm waiting for a follow up appointment.

NOW COMES THE HARD BIT!

It hasn't helped with sun sensitivity and it's making me so ill with the slightest exposure, and it's getting me down. Whilst lots of people are out enjoying themselves I'm working everything around the clouds. My kids don't understand. I used to worship the sun. The other week, I went out in the warm weather in a coat and cap, I wasn't ill but I got the biggest coldsore ever.

How do you all cope with sun sensitivity? And will it get better the longer I take the hydroxychoriquine?

Many thanks,
    Feeling emotional.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #41
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good morning. Here's what I do: avoid prolonged exposure to midday sun (10 AM to 4 PM). Hats of tight weave with broad brims. (Look for ones with inner band. If hat is too large, you can sew a few tucks into the inside band to make it fit.) Long sleeves & trousers. Sunblock on exposed skin. And no tanning parlors, ever! Oh, and when your kids & you go out in midday, seek spots where there's shade for you. Also, have your Vitamin D levels checked, as it often depletes; if it does, you'll need to supplement---but do this only under doctor supervision, as too much Vitamin D is dangerous. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #42
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

Hi Veej, thank you for that.

I meant to add, I'm vitamin D deficient, my level was 38, and I'm on my second month of medication for it.

I'm beginning to think that the sun sensitivity could be from the anti depressants that I'm on? Thing is, if it was, then the hydroxychloroquine wouldn't have helped me massively would it?

Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #43
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Think it's hard to tell what's causing your photosensitivity... maybe not answerable... For many lupus patients, Plaquenil "helps" sun sensitivity, but keep in mind that "helps" doesn't necessarily mean *cures*! For all you know, without Plaquenil, you could be 3x worse---if you know what I mean.

Another thing that might be a factor: which specific AB's you're prone to creating. For example, I'm an anti-Ro, and those are thought to be the most photosensitive of all lupus patients. Even so, I'd hoped to return to summer outdoor activities, so I waited until 1-1/3 years into Plaquenil, put on a ton of sunblock, then bravely [stupidly? ] went kayaking on a hot, brilliantly sunny day. Oh, dear! Within an hour I had tiny little red circles over a huge portion of exposed skin, worst batch of lesions I'd ever had, including areas I'd never seen lesions before. That was my only attempt at "big sun".

I don't know if anti-depressants promote photosensitivity. You could check the possible side effects of yours, if you haven't already. Sending my best!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #44
    iggyoggy
    (female)

iggyoggy HB User

Thanks.

It's very hard to adapt to not tolerating the sun isn't it?

I was positive lupus anti-coagulant-once.

It's in the side effects but rare.

I've started to get a red nose and cheeks after a shower, so I'm going to show the rheumy at my next appointment.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #45
    me554
    (female)

me554 HB User

iggyoggy, reading through your thread a few things come to mind from your symptoms. Have you or your Rheumy thought about Psoriatic Arthritis. This is an autoimmune disease which will not show up in any blood work but is usually diagnosed by looked at the whole picture. Symptoms include enthesitis, tendonitis (with special attention to the achilles tendon) pitting and lines in the finger and toenails. loose nails. with or without any psoriasis rashes. A person who has psoriasis has a 30% chance of contracting PsA but doesn't necessarily have to have psoriasis. This is RA's ugly little stepsister. It is an autoimmune that attacks soft tissue as well as joints, so can show up anywhere. I have had this since I was in my thirties but only formally diagnosed 10 years or so ago. I was on NSAIDS for years and then the back issues (degenerative disk disease, spondylitis, stenosis etc) and over all joint issues became more than my general practitioner could deal with. I went to a Rhuematologist who put me on Methotrexate and I am now on Enbrel a biologic. I have not seen a lot of improvement but I also have fibromyalgia, hypothyroid, along with other AI issues. Boy do they like to travel in groups. So my suggestion is to go back to the rhuematologist and suggest this as a diagnosis......

Reply Reply