It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

Lab result help!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
jt1993
(male)

jt1993 HB User
Lab result help!

Hello all. I am a healthy, 24 year old male. Recently visited doctor for a minor tremor I've been having, and he decided to run many blood tests including ANA, TSH, and SED rate. All came back normal except for a positive ANA. Is this anything to be concerned about? Doc wants me to see a rheumatologist, but there isn't a full-time one in the area, so I have to wait until the end of August for my appointment. Doc says he isn't too concerned about this, so he thinks waiting is fine.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
VeeJ
Senior Veteran
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: Lab result help!

JT, hi and welcome! ANA is only a very general "threshold test" that can be positive in multiple conditions. Once it IS found positive (especially meaningfully positive*), a full evaluation and further tests make sense, in my opinion.

The rheum would likely run additional labs to look for "ANA subtypes". Because ANA is so general, it's those SUBTYPES that help narrow down the possibilities. Because you have a tremor, if the rheum finds nothing in your lifetime health history or in your labs, perhaps he'd refer you to a neurologist.

*ANA can be low-positive due to passing infection (viral or bacterial), or sometimes just due to family tendency.

In your shoes, I'd want the tremor explained, and hopefully get the "biggies" ruled out. (I think some tremors end up being deemed idiopathic.) Let us know what happens next, ok? In the meantime, sending warm wishes, bye, V

Old 06-30-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
jt1993
(male)

jt1993 HB User

Thanks for the response!

Concerning the tremor, a neurologist evaluated me last summer and ordered a full-spine MRI (which cam back clear). From his tests, he ruled out major neuro conditions. He diagnosed me with an idiopathic tremor.

In the past couple weeks, my tremor felt like it amped up. Brought this up to my PCP, and he said it's most likely normal since it's a very fine tremor and there has been no new symptoms since my neuro visit. He thinks it could be caused by stress. At the beginning of this month, I got accepted to an out of state grad program which started in a few weeks. I had to pack up and leave my family at the last minute, so this was a very stressful situation for me. I don't doubt that this situation attributed to the increase in my tremor symptoms, but I wanted to get it evaluated again anyway.

I guess it's a good thing that all my other labs came back normal. The only other symptom I'm currently experiencing is fatigue, but I think that is my body's response to the stress.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
jt1993
(male)

jt1993 HB User

Hi all. Something strange I noticed.. Pulled up my health record online, and it says my ANA is in the "normal" range, yet my doctor still flagged it. Wonder if my result was borderline, so he wants me to get it checked out to be safe. I'll call his office to ask on Monday, but this'll makes me feel a little in the meantime!

Old 07-15-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
VicLF
(female)

VicLF HB User

Hi! It could be that your ANA was borderline or a low positive and your doctor is just being proactive, which is a good thing. My ANA has always been between 1:80 and 1:160, but I have an AI condition. It's always good to rule things out, but you are doing great by not worrying about it. Stress can also cause crazy things in our bodies, as can too much caffeine, anxiety, etc. What was your ANA titre/pattern? Take care of yourself!!

Reply Reply