It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

autoimmune & teeth


Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
wishiwerewell
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
wishiwerewell HB User
autoimmune & teeth

Helloooo!

Anyone have any info about autoimmune issues affecting tooth health? Any info at all? My dentist & doctors don't have any, so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of people who actually live with this stuff!

Thanks,

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,462
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

I dont think there is a correlation. I have Multiple Scerlosis, an autoimmune disorder and I have perfect teeth, never even had a cavity. Im over 40.

I know several other MSers who have never had tooth problems.

Tooth problems tend to be associated with Diabetes, and cardiac conditions.

What made you ask?
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
wishiwerewell
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
wishiwerewell HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
I dont think there is a correlation. I have Multiple Scerlosis, an autoimmune disorder and I have perfect teeth, never even had a cavity. Im over 40.

I know several other MSers who have never had tooth problems.

Tooth problems tend to be associated with Diabetes, and cardiac conditions.

What made you ask?

Thanks for your input. I've been dealing with different autoimmune issues for decades, but something has been accelerating over the past several years with my body for which I take plaquenil and methotrexate (for pain, migraines, fevers, mouth sores, pain, arthritis, chills, skin rashes, did I mention pain?...). Over this time my teeth have been breaking. I was curious of any kind of connection.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,462
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Hi again, I certainly cannot say that it is impossible...but I have never heard of this. Certain autoimmune disorders might cause the body to lose minerals or calcium...maybe? I dont know.

If your doctor hasnt found any literature, I would be skeptical to say that you would either....but then again, anything is possible. Do some research on the drugs you are taking and see if any of them have any side effects...just a thought.

I wish you the best and hope that this gets resolved!
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
GunnersMama01
Junior Member
(female)
 
GunnersMama01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 29
GunnersMama01 HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

I have heard that Sjogrens can cause dental issues, due to the salivary issues.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
wishiwerewell
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
wishiwerewell HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi again, I certainly cannot say that it is impossible...but I have never heard of this. Certain autoimmune disorders might cause the body to lose minerals or calcium...maybe? I dont know.

If your doctor hasnt found any literature, I would be skeptical to say that you would either....but then again, anything is possible. Do some research on the drugs you are taking and see if any of them have any side effects...just a thought.

I wish you the best and hope that this gets resolved!
Hi, MSNik - I'll bet you're right and I so appreciate your feedback about this. Thanks for taking the time to chat with me!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
wishiwerewell
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
wishiwerewell HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnersMama01 View Post
I have heard that Sjogrens can cause dental issues, due to the salivary issues.

Ahhhhhh - that makes complete sense. That hasn't come up for me, but who knows, maybe down the line. Thank you!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #8
luca689
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
luca689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 496
luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Systemic scleroderma and Sjogren's can cause dental issues.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
wishiwerewell
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
wishiwerewell HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca689 View Post
Systemic scleroderma and Sjogren's can cause dental issues.

Thank you for the tip. Will look into this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
ladybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,018
ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwerewell View Post
Thank you for the tip. Will look into this.
Sjogrens causes dry mouth from lack of saliva, and saliva has antiseptic properties. Without enough saliva, the bacteria in the mouth increases, leading to cavities, which can cause tooth fracture.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
wishiwerewell
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16
wishiwerewell HB User
Re: autoimmune & teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Sjogrens causes dry mouth from lack of saliva, and saliva has antiseptic properties. Without enough saliva, the bacteria in the mouth increases, leading to cavities, which can cause tooth fracture.

Thank you, ladybug!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2017 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!