It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

High ANA??

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
NVmama
(female)

NVmama HB User
High ANA??

Hello! First time poster

I am a 33 year old female who has always been "healthy". All the way into adulthood I very rarely got sick...strep throat was probably the worst thing to happen to me.

About 1.5 years ago, I started having issues with menstrual cycle - both heavy and long. I had my hormones, thyroid, blood checked and everything was normal. Then March of this year I started getting terrible headaches, dizziness, body aches, increased sensitivity to cold, memory fog, issues falling/staying asleep, trouble concentrating to name a few. I went to my primary care doctor and had a bunch of blood work done. To all which came back normal with the exception of my MCV which was 99 fL. I was then referred to a neurologist.

The neurologist then sent me for an MRI and had me tested for Sedimentation Rate-Westergren, Antiextractable Nuclear Ag, Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor, C-Reactive Protein Quant, Actin (Smooth Muscle) Antibody, Sjogren's Ab, Anti-SS-A/-SS-B, Antiscleroderma-70 Antibodies, Anti-dsDNA Antibodies, Anti-Jo-1, Antinuclear Antibodies IFA and Celiac Disease Comprehensive. Most were okay, a few were in the higher normal range, but my Antinuclear Antibodies were very high...Nucleolar Pattern 1:1280. My MRI was perfect

The neurologist has now referred me to a rheumatologist. The Rheumatologist is supposed to be one of the best in town that accepts my insurance. The sad part is that he doesn't have any appointments until January!!!! I mentioned to the woman on the phone that I have very high ANA and she didn't seem like it was a big deal.

This is all very new to me and I'm tired of feeling like this. Any ideas what this could be? Should I be pushing to be seen sooner?

Thanks all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: High ANA??

Why does your Neurologist think you need to see a Rheumatologist?

What happened at the beginning of this year to bring on so many symptoms? Can you think of anything at all that might have brought this on? Something must have changed.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
NVmama
(female)

NVmama HB User

Hi JohnR41!

Thank you for your reply. She was concerned about the ANA level, it was very high and it is an indicator of an autoimmune disease. That's the rheumatologist specialty so he would know what to test further for after an exam. Thats what the neurologist told me

As for changes at the beginning of the year...nothing comes to mind. I mean I had pretty bad cold with an ear infection. Maybe stress? My mother-in-law stayed with us for a few months. Aside from that, no idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to NVmama For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmama View Post
Hello! First time poster

I am a 33 year old female who has always been "healthy". All the way into adulthood I very rarely got sick...strep throat was probably the worst thing to happen to me.

About 1.5 years ago, I started having issues with menstrual cycle - both heavy and long. I had my hormones, thyroid, blood checked and everything was normal. Then March of this year I started getting terrible headaches, dizziness, body aches, increased sensitivity to cold, memory fog, issues falling/staying asleep, trouble concentrating to name a few. I went to my primary care doctor and had a bunch of blood work done. To all which came back normal with the exception of my MCV which was 99 fL. I was then referred to a neurologist.

The neurologist then sent me for an MRI and had me tested for Sedimentation Rate-Westergren, Antiextractable Nuclear Ag, Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor, C-Reactive Protein Quant, Actin (Smooth Muscle) Antibody, Sjogren's Ab, Anti-SS-A/-SS-B, Antiscleroderma-70 Antibodies, Anti-dsDNA Antibodies, Anti-Jo-1, Antinuclear Antibodies IFA and Celiac Disease Comprehensive. Most were okay, a few were in the higher normal range, but my Antinuclear Antibodies were very high...Nucleolar Pattern 1:1280. My MRI was perfect

The neurologist has now referred me to a rheumatologist. The Rheumatologist is supposed to be one of the best in town that accepts my insurance. The sad part is that he doesn't have any appointments until January!!!! I mentioned to the woman on the phone that I have very high ANA and she didn't seem like it was a big deal.

This is all very new to me and I'm tired of feeling like this. Any ideas what this could be? Should I be pushing to be seen sooner?

Thanks all!
I agree you absolutely need to see a rheumatology Dr. I would call office again and ask to be put on cancellation list. The other alternative is to call every few days to see if an opening has occurred. People cancel all the time and January is too far away. You have symptoms and labs consistent with autoimmune disease and are in the typical age range when these occur. They just happen, perhaps with genetic tendency, and nothing you did triggered this. I hope you get an appointment soon, and get answers and effective treatment so you feel better.
PS lupus is the most common autoimmune disease that fits your symptoms and labs. You might want to research it online. There are other"close cousins", but they are very similar and this research will give you a start.

Last edited by ladybud; 09-01-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: additional information

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
JohnR41 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmama View Post
Hi JohnR41!

Thank you for your reply. She was concerned about the ANA level, it was very high and it is an indicator of an autoimmune disease. That's the rheumatologist specialty so he would know what to test further for after an exam. Thats what the neurologist told me

As for changes at the beginning of the year...nothing comes to mind. I mean I had pretty bad cold with an ear infection. Maybe stress? My mother-in-law stayed with us for a few months. Aside from that, no idea.
Thank you! I'm interested because a family member said (many years ago) that she has Lupus but never mentions details like symptoms.

The reason I asked if something might have triggered it is because that is what I have learned about genes. For example, I learned that genes are constantly turning on and off in our bodies every time we do something different during our daily routine. And sometimes people could have a gene for breast cancer or Alzheimer's but the gene never gets triggered so they don't get the disease. Or, then again, they might get a disease when there's no gene associated with it.

And I also learned about a thing called "leaky gut" syndrome and that it could be the cause of autoimmune disease. And leaky gut could be linked to diet: I was amazed to learn that the microbes in our gut have a lot to do with the way our immune system functions.

Last edited by JohnR41; 09-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #6
NVmama
(female)

NVmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I agree you absolutely need to see a rheumatology Dr. I would call office again and ask to be put on cancellation list. The other alternative is to call every few days to see if an opening has occurred. People cancel all the time and January is too far away. You have symptoms and labs consistent with autoimmune disease and are in the typical age range when these occur. They just happen, perhaps with genetic tendency, and nothing you did triggered this. I hope you get an appointment soon, and get answers and effective treatment so you feel better.
PS lupus is the most common autoimmune disease that fits your symptoms and labs. You might want to research it online. There are other"close cousins", but they are very similar and this research will give you a start.
Thank you Ladybud! I appreciate the response. I did call the rheumatologists office and was able to get a cancellation appointment in early November. They encouraged me to keep calling. Hoping to get some answers soon!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
NVmama
(female)

NVmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Thank you! I'm interested because a family member said (many years ago) that she has Lupus but never mentions details like symptoms. We don't communicate often except to exchange greeting cards.

The reason I asked if something might have triggered it is because that is what I have learned about genes. For example, I learned that genes are constantly turning on and off in our bodies every time we do something different during our daily routine. And sometimes people could have a gene for breast cancer or Alzheimer's but the gene never gets triggered so they don't get the disease. Or, then again, they might get a disease when there's no gene associated with it.

And I also learned about a thing called "leaky gut" syndrome and that it could be the cause of autoimmune disease. And leaky gut could be linked to diet: I was amazed to learn that the microbes in our gut have a lot to do with the way our immune system functions.
Hi JohnR41! I'm hoping to figure out exactly what is wrong with me so that I can attack it head on. I don't want to start assuming and trying things until I know. The neurologist wanted to put me an anti-seizure medication to help with my headaches...thank God I said no, especially since my headaches weren't caused by what she initially thought. I understand diet changes aren't anything close to anti-seizure meds, but maybe by eliminating something could harm me without knowing. Besides, I eat fairly healthy already (non-gmo, organic, gluten free).

I got 3 kiddos 9, 8 and 5 so I gotta keep on keeping on. I will keep you guys posted. Especially if it can help someone out

Reply Reply

Tags
high ana