It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Is rash autoimmune?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-25-2017, 02:20 AM   #1
    kroqcalif
    (female)

kroqcalif HB User
    Is rash autoimmune?

Background - Hashimotos, hypothyroid, and on medications. Normally experience stiffness, pain, fatigue, hair loss, and substantial weight gain despite no dietary changes. Seen rhuemetologists for autoimmune, which they have said is present but undetermined.

The past couple months I have had a matching rash on both hands on the backside of the thumb and hand near it. Nothing resolves it. Went to the doctor and my RNP Antibody was a positive 4.0 and my urine contained protein. These are both normal for my labs, so the physician stated that the rash is likely autoimmune. It is now on my knees, also mirrored on both legs, and has spread to the entire back of my right hand. It is small red bumps that donít hurt or itch. Initially I thought it was an allergy, but given that it is mirrored on more than one part of my body and has been there for months I wanted opinions as my doctor didnít give any solutions to clear them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Is rash autoimmune?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kroqcalif View Post
    Background - Hashimotos, hypothyroid, and on medications. Normally experience stiffness, pain, fatigue, hair loss, and substantial weight gain despite no dietary changes. Seen rhuemetologists for autoimmune, which they have said is present but undetermined.

The past couple months I have had a matching rash on both hands on the backside of the thumb and hand near it. Nothing resolves it. Went to the doctor and my RNP Antibody was a positive 4.0 and my urine contained protein. These are both normal for my labs, so the physician stated that the rash is likely autoimmune. It is now on my knees, also mirrored on both legs, and has spread to the entire back of my right hand. It is small red bumps that donít hurt or itch. Initially I thought it was an allergy, but given that it is mirrored on more than one part of my body and has been there for months I wanted opinions as my doctor didnít give any solutions to clear them.
    Your rash is likely autoimmune and there is an easy way to determine that. You can see a dermatologist who could do a biopsy, but it MUST include immunoflourescent studies. This is also called a lupus band test, which shows immune complex deposits between the skin layers. Without the second part, results may be nonspecific. This can also help diagnose the systemic illness. A flourinated steroid cream should help the rash clear up while using it, but it may recur at times. These are prescription drugs that the dermatologist could give you. You do need to be followed by a rheumatology expert to monitor your kidneys and provide treatment for your symptoms so you feel better and protect your organs and joints.

Reply Reply