It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• MID% in Complete Blood Count?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
    VicLF
    (female)

VicLF HB User
    MID% in Complete Blood Count?

My blood work has always been normal, except for ANA, which is positive. However, for the last year, the MID% on my complete blood count has been increasing and in the high range. I have tried to research this and can not find, specifically, what the MID% in blood work even means. I have forgotten to discuss this with the doctor, but will do so at my next appointment. Anyone else have this? I have been diagnosed with UCTD. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
    luca689
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
    Re: MID% in Complete Blood Count?

MID cells are all the white cells that are not lymphs or neutrophils, as some analyzers group them. they would include monocytes, basophils and eosinophils

Old 04-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

MID % has to do with monocyte count, which can be raised in a number of circumstances. Monocytes are white blood cells that increase with inflammation, and given you have a positive ANA and UCTD, the high monocytes are most likely related to the inflammation of the UCTD. Many people with autoimmune diseases, characterized by inflammation, have high monocytes on blood tests (high MID %). This is not a problem in itself, but a reflection of the condition and clinical support that an autoimmune disorder does exist. Think of it as a sign that supports your diagnosis, not a problem that specifically needs treatment. As treatment improves the UCTD, the MID% may decrease.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
    VicLF
    (female)

VicLF HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    MID % has to do with monocyte count, which can be raised in a number of circumstances. Monocytes are white blood cells that increase with inflammation, and given you have a positive ANA and UCTD, the high monocytes are most likely related to the inflammation of the UCTD. Many people with autoimmune diseases, characterized by inflammation, have high monocytes on blood tests (high MID %). This is not a problem in itself, but a reflection of the condition and clinical support that an autoimmune disorder does exist. Think of it as a sign that supports your diagnosis, not a problem that specifically needs treatment. As treatment improves the UCTD, the MID% may decrease.
    Thank you so much Ladybud! That is the first info that I have heard about this that makes sense.

Reply Reply