It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• ANA 1:80 ... Please help?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
    Jmmoris
    (female)

Jmmoris HB User
    ANA 1:80 ... Please help?

Hello folks,

My blood test came back positive with an ANA titer of 1:80, nucleolar pattern, and I'm really hoping you can help me make sense of it!

I'm a 31-year-old female with NO joint pain, swelling, etc. In fact, I have no known health issues, aside from chronic acid reflux/GERD and anxiety, both of which are well treated. I am not overweight, and all of my other bloodwork (thyroid function, vitamin levels, complete blood panel) came back normal.

I did mention to my PCP that I sleep a lot and still feel pretty tired...I usually get 9-11 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period; however, this is nothing new. I've been like this since high school. Also, I catch a TON of colds--about 7-10/year. In the past 4 months alone, I've had 5 colds!!! Now, I do have a 3-year-old son from whom I catch them all (and who is also the source of some of my fatigue), but still . . . you'd think my immune system would be working better, wouldn't you?

I understand from reading about positive ANA that it is a hallmark for autoimmune disorders. I guess I'm confused because of the lack of joint pain, swelling, etc. I don't have a family history of any autoimmune disorders, either. I did have a BAD case of mononucleosis when I was 19 that landed me in the hospital. Could such an old virus still be wreaking havoc on my system? Am I just in the early early stages of an autoimmune disorder, and don't know it yet? Have to say, I'm pretty darn worried. My rheumatologist appointment is on the 20th.

Would really, really appreciate help unpacking this all.

Thank you!
    Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: ANA 1:80 ... Please help?

Once you have had Mononucleosis (EBV), you continue to carry the virus but usually in a dormant state. It rarely reactivates but it has been known to happen. Didn't your doctor test you for this?

Finding out what's wrong is often a process of elimination. If it turns out that it's not Mononucleosis and not autoimmune disorder, then you might want to look at your diet (i.e., get a another opinion).

5 colds in 4 months is unreal. I don't remember having a cold in decades.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-06-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
    Jmmoris
    (female)

Jmmoris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Once you have had Mononucleosis (EBV), you continue to carry the virus but usually in a dormant state. It rarely reactivates but it has been known to happen. Didn't your doctor test you for this?

John, you raised an excellent point. Somehow, I didn't even think about this. My PCP didn't retest for mono; I'll ask the rheumatologist to do so, as I'll be seeing him first. And yes...the number of colds I get is staggering. Sometimes I go only DAYS between catching colds. And I know they're all colds, because my son catches them first (from preschool, play groups, etc.). It really seems like something is wrong with my immune system, but all my other numbers checked out fine. The positive ANA was the only number that stuck out on my bloodwork.

Thank you for your input!

Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

That’s a very low titer and can be found in healthy people as well. To further add to the complexity of autoimmune diseases (lol)..Some people have a low positive for many years before symptoms develop.

If you have no other symptoms they will likely take a watch and see approach regarding the ANA. The rheumatologist may run some other blood work as well to rule out other things, but in my experience symptoms play a huge role in how far they will likely go with testing at this point.

Try not to stress too much! I hope you have a productive visit!

Last edited by emmie54; 04-23-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Reply Reply