It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Autoimmune?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
    LabLass
    (female)

LabLass HB User
    Autoimmune?

I've been seeing a Neuro for a couple of months because of possible optic neuritis, along with balance issues, headaches, weakness and gnawing pain in right hip/leg. Did bloodwork and ANA came back positive with titer of 1:1280. Also moderate positive anticardiolipin Igm of 14. Neuro referred me to rhuemy.

I have had joint stiffness and pain in both feet for about 8 yrs. Last year I got a rash on the bottom of my shin on right leg that was blistery and round in shape. It appeared out of nowhere and lasted a couple of weeks then went away. Also had severe pain in right hip and thigh. GP have prednisone and all pain and stiffness went away in feet and hip.

I have had severe fatigue off and on for several years. About 7 years ago, went to ER with shoulder pain. After doing bloodwork, I was diagnosed with severe anemia, which I received 8 wks of iron infusions. Have been taking oral iron supplements since then and iron levels have been ok.
    In the past year, I have become very sensitive to the sun. No rashes, but joint pain gets worse along with flu like symptoms. The bridge of my nose always looks sunburned, even in the winter. My neck and upper chest always are flushed as well.
    No matter how much I sleep, it never seems to be enough. I can sleep for 8 hrs, get up and an hour later take a nap.
    A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't take the pain anymore and got my GP to give me prednisone again, and like magic all pain and stiffness disappeared!
    Neuro thinks there is some autoimmune going on. I see the ending for the first time in July 26th. Does any of this sound like it could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2018, 04:16 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Autoimmune?

Yes, it definitely sounds autoimmune. Has anyone mentioned Lupus to you? Its a possibility.

I have MS, and I get optical neuritis often; however, I do not have the pain you have...I also do not get the sun burn look; however, I am heat sensitive and cannot stay out in the heat.

You are seeing the right doctor..please keep us informed. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LabLass View Post
    I've been seeing a Neuro for a couple of months because of possible optic neuritis, along with balance issues, headaches, weakness and gnawing pain in right hip/leg. Did bloodwork and ANA came back positive with titer of 1:1280. Also moderate positive anticardiolipin Igm of 14. Neuro referred me to rhuemy.

I have had joint stiffness and pain in both feet for about 8 yrs. Last year I got a rash on the bottom of my shin on right leg that was blistery and round in shape. It appeared out of nowhere and lasted a couple of weeks then went away. Also had severe pain in right hip and thigh. GP have prednisone and all pain and stiffness went away in feet and hip.

I have had severe fatigue off and on for several years. About 7 years ago, went to ER with shoulder pain. After doing bloodwork, I was diagnosed with severe anemia, which I received 8 wks of iron infusions. Have been taking oral iron supplements since then and iron levels have been ok.
    In the past year, I have become very sensitive to the sun. No rashes, but joint pain gets worse along with flu like symptoms. The bridge of my nose always looks sunburned, even in the winter. My neck and upper chest always are flushed as well.
    No matter how much I sleep, it never seems to be enough. I can sleep for 8 hrs, get up and an hour later take a nap.
    A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't take the pain anymore and got my GP to give me prednisone again, and like magic all pain and stiffness disappeared!
    Neuro thinks there is some autoimmune going on. I see the ending for the first time in July 26th. Does any of this sound like it could be?
    This definitely sounds autoimmune and I would agree that lupus is a good possibility, especially with the positive anticardiolipin antibodies. These occur in about 30% of people with lupus. This predisposes to blood clot formation and a baby aspirin every day is a good idea for prevention but check with your pcp first. I would avoid prednisone for a couple of weeks before rheumatologist appointment so it doesn’t interfere with your test results. It could suppress lab evidence of what is going on. Glad you are seeing rheumatologist soon and make sure the new dr has access to the labs you have had done already. The pain in feet could be a peripheral neuropathy associated with the autoimmune disease. Did the neurologist address that and check your b12, folate and thyroid levels? I hope you get answers and effective treatment soon! Let us know what you find out please.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
    LabLass
    (female)

LabLass HB User

Thanks for your replies MSNik and Ladybud! Thyroid was checked and everything normal there as well as B12 and folate. Neuro did nerve conduction and emg which showed neuropathy in both legs and right foot. Also had mri of lumbar spine and am awaiting results on that. Tested negative for sjogrens and sed rate was normal. Also negative for lymes. I also forgot to mention I have raynauds! I forget a lot of things lately!

Reply Reply