It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

joint and sinus pain seem connected, doctors are stumped

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
HBHMB
(male)

HBHMB HB User
joint and sinus pain seem connected, doctors are stumped

Hi All,
I've been browsing these boards looking for information and am struck first by how many of us are suffering in ways that cannot be helped by modern medicine (yet), and how supportive this community is. Thanks for this resource.
I've posted about my medical problems here before, but not recently and I have a new symptom that continues to stump my doctors.
For almost 5 years now I have had joint pain. It started in my middle back progressed to include my right hip, most of my back, my neck, and the basal joints of both thumbs. I have occasional GI issues that include bloating and ab pain and the joint pain flares up with the GI episodes. The GI episodes have gotten rarer, the joint pain more frequent. Here's the new symptom: sinus pain and pressure for the past year, with out any congestion or any related cold, etc. I have feelings of pressure and pain in both cheek bones, the bridge of my nose, and occasionally behind my eyes. My ears get the sensation of being full and I cannot clear them. The eye pain can be quite bad and motivated a visit to an eye doc for an exam. She referred me to an ENT who ordered an MRI that was normal.
I've had a fortune of imaging and testing done over the years and I am negative for inflammatory markers, negative for Lyme (by all testing methods), negative for autoimmune markers and genes. MRIs of my back, hip, and head have all been "normal for my age." Despite this, the pain is getting more frequent and intense. With the joint pain I have a sensation of grinding, as if my ligaments and tendons were metal cables and they are sliding over each other. I have this in my neck, shoulders, and back. Every morning I wake up stiff and sore as if all the facets in my back had been glued together overnight. I'm only 44, don't smoke, try to eat well and exercise. Thankfully, I do not suffer from fatigue.
I'm currently looking into being seen at the Mayo Clinic for a new perspective, but am not convinced such an expensive effort would get me any results. I've been seen by my PCP since the beginning, a neurologist, urologist, ophthalmologist, and a (very disinterested) rheumatologist. Over the counter and Rx NSAIDs haven't helped.
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else? I welcome any input and suggestions. What should I do? Over the past year I decided to gut it out and not see any more doctors and instead focus on coping tools, like yoga and exercise and diet. Those help to the degree that they can, but my pain is getting worse. Please help and THANK YOU.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: joint and sinus pain seem connected, doctors are stumped

Vitamin D deficiency has been known to cause joint and back pain. A deficiency can also negatively effect your muscles, nerves, and immune system. Calcium needs vitamin D for absorption and a lack of calcium can be bad for bone health.

However, everyone is different. I tested very low in Vitamin D but had no symptoms whatsoever.

Have you been tested for vitamin D?

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-17-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
HBHMB
(male)

HBHMB HB User

Thanks for your reply. I live in Alaska and so I do supplement Vit D, but only during the winter...which is most of the year here. I have never been tested for a Vit D deficiency.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHMB View Post
Thanks for your reply. I live in Alaska and so I do supplement Vit D, but only during the winter...which is most of the year here. I have never been tested for a Vit D deficiency.
If you are not deficient in vitamin D, the next question is: Are you getting enough calcium in your diet? The best way to get calcium is to eat lots of plants that are rich in calcium; for example, dark leafy greens etc. Plant-based sources are more absorbable. Calcium from dairy is more likely to be excreted in the urine.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-19-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
arthritis, back pain, sinus pressure, thumb pain