It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Excessive mucus in mouth

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User
    Excessive mucus in mouth

Anyone having excessive mucus in the mouth issues?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Excessive mucus in mouth

Mucus from the throat? From sinuses, or thick excessive saliva?

q

Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #3
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User

It could be coming from the throat due to silent reflux or in the mouth, not sure...
    Tried all the dry mouth solutions like Biotene, drinking water etc only relieves for a very short period of time...started on acid reflux meds 2 months ago and started the reflux diet but no reduction in the mucus in the mouth yet...any ideas

Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Im not clear on the mucus part or if it's thick saliva.
    Curious if you have issues with your eyes and if you're on other meds?

I have Sjogren's, and while that's a diagnosis...i have other issues and am on meds that has created a cycle of frustration.

I do notice that some toothpastes thicken my saliva a lot, especially at nighttime....coughing to clear the thick saliva only seems to create more. I do use mucinex when that coughing, thick saliva and feeling of dryness happens over a period of days. Having asthma doesnt help...

I chew gum with only xylitol when I'm out, and that's helpful.

I use the biotene spray as well...yes very temporary, but at least it helps with night coughing. Have you tried biotene toothpaste?

q

Old 03-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Im not clear on the mucus part or if it's thick saliva.
    Curious if you have issues with your eyes and if you're on other meds?

I have Sjogren's, and while that's a diagnosis...i have other issues and am on meds that has created a cycle of frustration.

I do notice that some toothpastes thicken my saliva a lot, especially at nighttime....coughing to clear the thick saliva only seems to create more. I do use mucinex when that coughing, thick saliva and feeling of dryness happens over a period of days. Having asthma doesnt help...

I chew gum with only xylitol when I'm out, and that's helpful.

I use the biotene spray as well...yes very temporary, but at least it helps with night coughing. Have you tried biotene toothpaste?

q

Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User

It may be thickened Saliva.....ENT says it’s part dry mouth from Bipolar meds and part acid reflux, but even after reflux meds, reflux diet, raised bed and all the this and that stuff one could do on the list of helpful stuff, still no decrease....it seems to slow down and then speed up. Not Sjögren already checked for that....make sense?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maryrita View Post
    It could be coming from the throat due to silent reflux or in the mouth, not sure...
    Tried all the dry mouth solutions like Biotene, drinking water etc only relieves for a very short period of time...started on acid reflux meds 2 months ago and started the reflux diet but no reduction in the mucus in the mouth yet...any ideas
    Are you taking the reflux meds and doing the reflux diet at the same time? If the reflux meds are not working why would you continue? Often, reflux meds only treat the symptoms and are not meant to be taken long term.

What does the reflux diet consist of?

Obesity can cause reflux; are you on a weight loss diet?

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User

2 months on meds for reflux....on reflux diet to support the meds until they start doing their job....the gummy thick saliva or mucus? Still has not changed...that is the dilemma....not overweight....reflux diet is ....no spicey foods, caffeine, fatty foods, no processed foods,no tomatoes or tomatoe based foods, low acidic foods etc.
    Drink recommended amounts of water, ice chips, homemade popsicles made from melons and non fat Greek yogurt to sooth my mouth which only help temporaryily like over the counter products like biotene products, humidifier in bedroom, elevated the bed by 6 inches at the head....I’m doing everything I can and adding as I go, so far no change?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Did you have a lip biopsy to test for sjogrens?
    q

Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
    Maryrita
    (female)

Maryrita HB User

Had physical exam...checked eyes for dryness and mouth for amount of saliva but no biopsy.....could this be something missed?

Old 03-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes...that's conclusive. I don't fit any criteria except high rheumatoid factor. Even then, with all my autoimmune issues, nothing correlates with it as a primary, which is an interesting fact to my rheumy.

My GP said....why do you need to know? It's symptomatic care anyway. I said....because there are other issues involved with SS since fluid producing glands are throughout the whole body! AND I need to know what I'm dealing with. Plus my sister has it...in the genes.
    q

Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
    daniell77
    (female)

daniell77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maryrita View Post
    Anyone having excessive mucus in the mouth issues?

My daughter has the same problem. She will just start spitting. Also, when she brushes her teeth, it's so much and so thick that she has to get a towel to clean it out everytime. It drives her crazy!

Reply Reply