It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• short cycles-perimenopause???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
    SOUTHERN DIVA

SOUTHERN DIVA HB User
    Post short cycles-perimenopause???

I am 42,my cycle have gone from every 26 days to 24 days apart now 21 days.I called my drs office,they say this is normal as you get older,has anyone else experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    Yes, I also do this. I'm 43. It's one of the first signs of perimenopause. Don't be suprised if you bleed heavy or more, skip periods or have a period that lasts for several weeks. All are symptoms of perimenopause. Be prepared for anything when you leave the house.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 AM   #3
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi, My periods over the last few years has changed as well. I went from regular periods every 28 days and it lasted 7 days and wasn't heavy at all to, bleeding between periods, every 2-3 weeks, lasting 5 days to being very heavy, going through a bag of pads each period. Tampons makes my stomach cramp, so I can't use that unless I have too. I'm 31, I'll be 32 in December.
    My mom went through early menopause when she was in her 40's. I'm assuming, I'll be the same way. Does my symptoms sound like early menopause? Becky

Old 05-15-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    Since you are fairly young yet I would doubt that your changes in your periods are related to perimenopause although this could be possible. What did your doc say about your period changes when you had you last pap/pelvic exam? Surely if your doc thought something was going on when you mentioned it he would have investigated this for you. If your doc isn't aware of the changes then you should see the doc and have this checked out to be sure it isn't something like enometriosis etc.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
    Lindarella
    Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
    holly, there are other things that cause changes in periods. Tumors, endometriosis, thyroid trouble, cancer etc. When you go to the doctor for these troubles, he checks you for these things. Don't assume that it's perimenopause at such a young age. It's relatively rare for someone in their 30's to be going through perimenopause. Have these things checked out by a doctor.

No matter when period changes occur or what your age, doctors rule out other possible causes with some tests before saying you're in perimenopause. It's in your best interest to have these things checked out before assuming anything. Good luck to you.

Old 05-15-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi Mlgable and Lindarella, I went to my doctor once when It felt like I was sitting on a golfball and was having vaginal pressure, he had me go in the next morning and said he was going to give me a bladder infection test, which I knew it wasn't. It came back negitive and sent me home with aleve. My husband was mad and brought me to the E.R. and they said my bladder was falling out. I was on 4 different medications. I've had 4 children my youngest being 5. I haven't been back to my doctor since that happened.
    It seems like none of the doctors' I see believe anything I say. Not to mention I have no insurance.
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was a preteen. I was on medication up until I moved out at 17. When I was tested for it again 2 years ago, my doctor said my test was normal and that my hypothyroidism must have gone away. I really think I have it,I have way to many symptoms. My husband says I really need to be checked out, I haven't had a pap smear since before I had my youngest. I'll go to a walk in clinic. Is it possible my thyroid could be causing all of this? I also have Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) I know HS has nothing to do with it. I'm going Monday. I'll let you know what's going on. Thanks for your responses.

Closed Thread