It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• What is the normal size of the kidneys suposed to be?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    What is the normal size of the kidneys suposed to be?

Hi, I had an ultrasound done and it said my right kidney measures 11.0 x 5.6 and my left kidney measures 9.5 x 4.1. I have an appointment to see a urologist in January. My doctor said I have a problem with my left kidney and the urologist will do an IVP. The results showed the Liver, spleen and pancreas are unremarkable.
    I'm curious as to why one kidney would be smaller than the other or is that normal?
    Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User
    Re: What is the normal size of the kidneys suposed to be?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hollygirl05
    Hi, I had an ultrasound done and it said my right kidney measures 11.0 x 5.6 and my left kidney measures 9.5 x 4.1. I have an appointment to see a urologist in January. My doctor said I have a problem with my left kidney and the urologist will do an IVP. The results showed the Liver, spleen and pancreas are unremarkable.
    I'm curious as to why one kidney would be smaller than the other or is that normal?
    Becky

My ultra sound was the same, my left kidney was 99mm and the right 115mm - we have different measurement system. Anyway its usually a sign that a stone could be lodged in the ureter causing a back flow of urine to back up into the kidney which makes it swell. Its called hydronephronesis or something like that.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Izmik
    My ultra sound was the same, my left kidney was 99mm and the right 115mm - we have different measurement system. Anyway its usually a sign that a stone could be lodged in the ureter causing a back flow of urine to back up into the kidney which makes it swell. Its called hydronephronesis or something like that.

Hi Izmik, I just replied to your other post. I'll look that up. Do you have back pain and kidney pain? I know they say if your kidney is bigger than the other, it could be stones that cause it to swell and hurt but the wierd thing is, it's my left kidney that's giving me problems. I also constantly leak small amounts of urine even when I'm just sitting watching t.v. Do you have any of these problems? Thanks!!
    Becky

Old 01-02-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
    Hi Izmik, I just replied to your other post. I'll look that up. Do you have back pain and kidney pain? I know they say if your kidney is bigger than the other, it could be stones that cause it to swell and hurt but the wierd thing is, it's my left kidney that's giving me problems. I also constantly leak small amounts of urine even when I'm just sitting watching t.v. Do you have any of these problems? Thanks!!
    Becky
    Hi Becky my pain when it starts up is on both sides and tends to radiate around into the middle. When the right one is playing up ( the swollen one) the pain is much worse and gives me bad backache. I dont think its a blockage because I dont have any problem going.

About leaking small amounts - yeah I have done that but not that often. I can cough and leak a small amount, but I think thats more to do with having weak muscles in my case probably. Have you had days where you go and your busting and all of a sudden you start, and then it just stops just like that ?? What about bloating ? My tummy is really bloated and if Im on my feet too long the upper abdo just under my breasts bloats up too and I get sort of a numb feeling there. I dont know if its a build of of fluid or what. Also Im very distressed in the morning because that seems to be my worst time of day, then it passes as the day goes on. Have you had a couple of pain free days when you think its gone away and you feel good, then all of a sudden its back with a vengeance. Someone was telling me its when the stone moves that most of the pain is felt. I hope you get diagnosed soon and your well again, its just the pits I know. Let me know how you go with your appointment with the urol.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Izmik, I have pain on my right side once in a while, but have bad pain on my left daily. I have no problem going either. I go alot, about 20 times a day and it is never a little dribble. Every time I go, it's like I held it in for hours. My stomach is never bloated but when I first wake up my face and ankles are swollen. My face swells up really bad. My kids are always asking me if I was up all night crying.(lol)
    I think the doctor is going to do an IVP, but I'm not positive. Have you ever had one? If so whats it like?
    I have to find the paper with my appointment on it, when I do I'll let you know when my appointment is.
    Talk to you soon. Becky

Old 01-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
    Hi Izmik, I have pain on my right side once in a while, but have bad pain on my left daily. I have no problem going either. I go alot, about 20 times a day and it is never a little dribble. Every time I go, it's like I held it in for hours. My stomach is never bloated but when I first wake up my face and ankles are swollen. My face swells up really bad. My kids are always asking me if I was up all night crying.(lol)
    I think the doctor is going to do an IVP, but I'm not positive. Have you ever had one? If so whats it like?
    I have to find the paper with my appointment on it, when I do I'll let you know when my appointment is.
    Talk to you soon. Becky
    Hi Becky, no I havent had an ivp , just a plain KUB x ray, a blood test and a 24 hour urine test and the initial ultra sound. I will go see the doc at the end of this week and see what the results are. Morning is the worst time for me for feeling really unwell, and my kidneys groan. The past few days have been really good tho, as the day goes by and I get those fluids into me I tend to feel much better, with just some small crampy pains near my waist if I put my arms up or twist or something. Someone told me its when the stones are on the move that it hurts the most. My tummy is really bloated tho, Im glad my kids havent asked me if I'm 6 months pregnant yet LOL. Yeah let me know when your appointment is, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that day , hoping it all goes well for you and that you wont need anything major done. In the meantime stay well. talk to you soon.....Isobelle

Old 01-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #7
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Isobelle, My kids have actually asked me if I was pregnant before(lol) I think four children are enough!! (LOL)
    I have actually been lucky the last couple of days, haven't had too much pain.
    My appointment is January 15. I can't wait to get this all over with.
    My sister called me a while ago and told me her best friend was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer, they aren't sure how far it spread yet. they have too run some test. Really sad, she's only 35.
    Do you drink plenty of water? Since all this has been going on with my kidney, I started drinking some water. I really need to drink more though. I never really drink water, not even as a child. I usually drink coffee or diet coke. Prenty bad huh?
    Luckily my kids drink alot of water, I didn't want my kids being like I was when it came to drinking water.
    How old are your children? Mine are 12, 11, 9 and 6.
    Well I'm closing for now, I'll talk to you soon.
    Becky

Old 01-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
    Hi Isobelle, My kids have actually asked me if I was pregnant before(lol) I think four children are enough!! (LOL)
    I have actually been lucky the last couple of days, haven't had too much pain.
    My appointment is January 15. I can't wait to get this all over with.
    My sister called me a while ago and told me her best friend was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer, they aren't sure how far it spread yet. they have too run some test. Really sad, she's only 35.
    Do you drink plenty of water? Since all this has been going on with my kidney, I started drinking some water. I really need to drink more though. I never really drink water, not even as a child. I usually drink coffee or diet coke. Prenty bad huh?
    Luckily my kids drink alot of water, I didn't want my kids being like I was when it came to drinking water.
    How old are your children? Mine are 12, 11, 9 and 6.
    Becky
    Hi Becky , yeah I have 3 kids but a lot older than yours my youngest is 19. That is sad about your sisters friend, especially at age 35. I have a friend who has the same she is 43 and has had part of her bowel removed and the cancer has spread to her liver. But with the chemo apparently the tumour in the liver has become dormant. So scary. I have been drinking plenty of water lately ( only since the stone ) but yeah like you I live on coffee and diet coke. Fruit is another thing Im not really fond of unless its mango with ice cream or something LOL.

I seen the doc today, all my tests have come back except for the oxalate test and my KUB x ray - have to wait for the uro to get back from skiing in Austria . Everything is clear and no sign of blockage, he is figuring I have an oxalate stone. The stone is still sitting in the left kidney (at the bottom)and it is 10mm in size. When the uro gets back my doctor said he will let me know if they are going to do something about the stone in my left kidney or if they are just going to leave it in there, and keep an eye on it. The hydronphronesis that I had in the right kidney is gone and the right one looks good. So that is good news. Went to see him about kidney stones and came home with metamucil for my swollen stomach which he said is full of gas. Hopefully it will pass

Glad your appointment is soon and that you have been pain free for a few days. I know the feeling about getting it all over, sometimes its like being on a very slow merry go round. Xmas time is not the best time of the year to get sick as everyone tends to take holidays at that time. Here in Australia they do anyway.
    talk to you soon
    Isobelle

Old 01-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #9
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Isobelle,
    I'm glad your right kidney is fine. Hopefully they'll be able to find out what to do about your left soon.

Sorry to hear about your friend, that must be really scary. I remember when I found a lump on my breast, I had to wait a month for my appointment, I was so scared. Luckily it turned out to be an infected cyst. My doctor cut it out.

I also had a lump on the back of my neck. My doctor said it was a cyst, he told me he was going to cut it out and would only need 2 stitches, it ended up being bigger than what he thought, I ended up with 12 stitches. He didn't check it for cancer though, he said he could tell if it looked cancerous or not. I sure hope he's right!!! (lol)

I decided to start drinking at least 3 glasses of water a day then work my way up to 8+ a day.
    Maybe it will help me with this fluid I'm retaining.
    My face is so puffy every day as well as my ankles.

What is an oxalate test? What does that check for??
    I sure hope when I go on the 15th, they'll do some test, I have a feeling when I go, they'll just get some info from me and make me another appointment.

Becky

Old 01-07-2004, 07:15 PM   #10
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
    Hi Isobelle,
    I'm glad your right kidney is fine. Hopefully they'll be able to find out what to do about your left soon.

Sorry to hear about your friend, that must be really scary. I remember when I found a lump on my breast, I had to wait a month for my appointment, I was so scared. Luckily it turned out to be an infected cyst. My doctor cut it out.

I also had a lump on the back of my neck. My doctor said it was a cyst, he told me he was going to cut it out and would only need 2 stitches, it ended up being bigger than what he thought, I ended up with 12 stitches. He didn't check it for cancer though, he said he could tell if it looked cancerous or not. I sure hope he's right!!! (lol)

I decided to start drinking at least 3 glasses of water a day then work my way up to 8+ a day.
    Maybe it will help me with this fluid I'm retaining.
    My face is so puffy every day as well as my ankles.

What is an oxalate test? What does that check for??
    I sure hope when I go on the 15th, they'll do some test, I have a feeling when I go, they'll just get some info from me and make me another appointment.

Becky
    Hi Becky, I hope your still feeling good today - yep I agree , you will probably go on the 15th be sent for some test or other and then another appointment. When I seen the urologist he said to do a blood test 24 hour urine test , had a KUB plain x ray and come back in 4 weeks. The 24 hour urine test measures for creatinine and stuff like that to see how well your kidneys are functioning. That and the blood test measure the amount of uric acid, calcium etc to see what type of stones you are making. All my tests came back ok except for the calcium oxalate , so presuming I have ca oxalate stones. I think they are the hardest to break up with the lithotripsy and seeing there is no blockage they dont really like to go into your kidney and take it out so they will probably leave it there. (so Ive been told ) Its 10mm and that is quite big I think. Poor poor me if it comes out. The doc told me to stay off tomatoes and food high in oxalate. I dont know if there were any more stones that showed up on the x ray until the uro gets back from holiday. So will find out at the end of the month - then I will know if I am going back or not. I live out in the country and we have to travel to the city for stuff like that. Its an 8 hour drive or just over an hour on the plane so its a fair hike.

That is odd that your are only drinking small amounts of fluid yet retaining it. What did your doctor say about that. Really you should be drinking about 12 glasses. My swollen tummy was from gas he said so sent me home with metamucil. I still havent been tho. Im also taking some magnesium and sodium bicarbonate.

Only a week to go for you now. Have you had any tests or anything as yet. What did your doctor tell you ?? Must toddle off and make some quiche for my hubby's dinner tonight. Take care and talk to you soon.
    Isobelle

Old 01-08-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Isobelle, I haven't been back to the doctor since I started swelling. I saw my doctor in October and she scheduled my urologist appointment this month. I problably should have gone back since this started though.
    I drink 2-3 pots of coffee a day and maybe 2-3 diet cokes a week. I know, that's not good for your kidneys huh??? I have been trying to cut down on the coffee.
    I don't eat alot either, Maybe twice a day, usually only once. I never get hungry. I have to remind my self to eat.
    You would think I'd be really skinny. I weighed my self today, and I wanted to cry. My face and ankles are what swells the most. I litteraly have a tripple chin. My eyes always looks like I have smeared eye liner and I don't even wear make up.

About 6 months ago I had a cbc blood test and the only thing that showed was my platelets and monocytes were low and my polys were high. My doctor said it was probably from some type of infection I had.

My LDL Cholesterol was a little high too. All the other blood test came back normal.

How do you do the 24 hour test? Is it something you do at home or do you stay in the hospital for it?

How have you been feeling? I was doing good for a few days but today I have been having pains in the left side if my back, not too bad though.

How much longer before you get the rest of the results? I'm going for now, but I'll write back soon.
    Becky

Old 01-09-2004, 05:15 AM   #12
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Quote:
    Hi Isobelle, I haven't been back to the doctor since I started swelling. I saw my doctor in October and she scheduled my urologist appointment this month. I problably should have gone back since this started though.
    I drink 2-3 pots of coffee a day and maybe 2-3 diet cokes a week. I know, that's not good for your kidneys huh??? I have been trying to cut down on the coffee.
    I don't eat alot either, Maybe twice a day, usually only once. I never get hungry. I have to remind my self to eat.
    You would think I'd be really skinny. I weighed my self today, and I wanted to cry. My face and ankles are what swells the most. I litteraly have a tripple chin. My eyes always looks like I have smeared eye liner and I don't even wear make up.

About 6 months ago I had a cbc blood test and the only thing that showed was my platelets and monocytes were low and my polys were high. My doctor said it was probably from some type of infection I had.

My LDL Cholesterol was a little high too. All the other blood test came back normal.

How do you do the 24 hour test? Is it something you do at home or do you stay in the hospital for it?

How have you been feeling? I was doing good for a few days but today I have been having pains in the left side if my back, not too bad though.

How much longer before you get the rest of the results? I'm going for now, but I'll write back soon.
    Becky
    Hi Becky - you sound similar to me LOL pity you didnt live closer we could enjoy the coffee as I drink just as much as you do. The 24 hour urine test you do at home, the pathology lab give you these special bags and you collect urine over a period of 24 hours and then they measure whatever they are looking for. Yep a bit high on the cholesterol here too and blood pressure. I went to visit my daughter before xmas and ended up with these horrific pain in my right side, left side - severe indigestion cramping diarreah (sp)and all sorts of stuff. Hadnt eaten or drunk a thing that day. They put me on the iv fluid thing and gave me some morphine for the pain. My white blood cell count was elevated as well , they thought maybe gastro. I went in at 6pm and they booted me out at 2.30am believe it or not. That night my bladder felt swollen, like you know when your pregnant and the baby's head sits on the pubic bone down there, well thats what it felt like. But the next day I felt really great and now my swelling has gone down. So I believe I maybe passed the stone on that side that night but I didnt feel it come out. Maybe with the morphine and stuff. But some people say you can pass the stone but not feel it come out. I dunno.

I wont know until the end of the month what is happening with the big monster one ( hope that doesnt come out ) LOL.

Have you got black eyes ? Sounds like you may be a bit anaemic. At the moment I am taking magnesium from the health food shop. Sodium bicarbonate capsules and drinking a couple of glasses of metamucil a day. And trying to stay off the iced coffee that I drink too. Its like a merry go round with these doctors and specialists visits. I cant believe that they let you go so long before getting you an appointment with the urologist. Especially in your case being so swollen. Make sure you rest plenty and keep your feet elevated if they are swollen.

Take care talk to you tomorrow
    Isobelle

Old 01-09-2004, 09:22 PM   #13
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Isobelle, That would be cool if we lived closer!! Thank goodness for the internet huh??

My doctor said my cholestrol was fine but on the blood reports, it said it was a little high and had a flag next to it. Apparently my doctor isn't too concerned so I'll go by what she says. (lol)

I have been really lucky as for my blood pressure, It has always been in the normal range.

I know what you mean about feeling like the baby sitting on your your pelvic bone. I'm glad to hear you think that one stone finally came out. But I'm sorry to hear you ended up at the hospital.

It is very possible it came out and you didn't feel it, I know that morphine knocks me on my butt. I don't feel a thing!!

I keep thinking that what I have is kidney stones, but from what I hear, it is really, really painful.
    Of course I had gallstones for 5 years and didn't know it. My old doctor removed my gallbladder and told my mom, I had well over 100 gallstones. He even kept my gallbladder and stones to show other patients how bad your gallbladder can get if you don't go to the doctor in time. He said he had to show it to his colleages and staff. He also told my mom I must take pain really well, he said most people go to him with just one stone.

The bottom of my eyes look black but not the whole eyelids. My doctor test me for anemia to start with because I was having period problems and she was shocked to see that my blood work came back fine. So that good news. At that time, she said my liver felt inflammed, so she sent me for ultrsounds which showed my liver and pancreas was fine but thats how she found out something was wrong with my kidney.

My poor family was so worried during all those test with the liver. I found out my grandmother died of liver cancer, so when they heard my liver was inflammed, they totally freaked out. I had no idea they were so worried, they kept it hidden really well.

My fingers have gotten so swollen, I can't even take off my rings and my fingers keep cramping up. Maybe I should eat more bananas.

Well I only have 5 more days to go!!! woohoo!!!
    I can't wait to hear what your doctor says, I will be wishing you the best.

I'll talk to you tomorrow.
    Becky

Old 01-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
    Izmik
    (female)

Izmik HB User

Hi Becky how are you doing ? Only 3 days for you now :-)
    My tummy has been really grouchy lately, bad gas pains, indigestion and belching, even when I eat nothing. Are you in pain when you wake up in the morning ? This seems to be my worst time, then I have a cuppa and some water etc and after about an hour I feel better.
    Tummy has been really grouchy lately, with heaps of gas I cant get rid of and I cant stop belching. Do you think this is kidney related ? How are you feeling today. Any better ? I hope so. talk to you later its coffee with my husband time LOL.
    Isobelle

Old 01-12-2004, 11:00 AM   #15
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi Isobelle, Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling to good. I hope the gas passes soon and you feel better.

I got a letter from the urology clinic saying they had to reschedule my appointment and my new appointment is April 1. So I called them this morning and said That I need to see the doctor sooner than that and they told me they will try and fit me in sooner and they will call me back when they find an opening. I was so upset, I can't believe they cancel my appointment and give me one 3 months longer.

I'll let you know when My new appointment is, I'm hoping they'll call and tell me to keep the appointment for the 15th. Keep your fingers crossed!!

I don't notice any thing when I wake up in the mornings, except my face is really puffy. It's usually during the day when My side and backs start aching some.

Yesterday, I got really nervous and almost had my husband take me to the ER. I was sitting down outside watching my kids play, and my chest started hurting from the middle to the left side and my upper abdomen. I got really lightheaded and my hands were shaking uncontrolable. It sort of felt like I was coming out of my body or something. I have never felt that before, It really scared me. But it only lasted about 20 minutes.
    Have you ever had that happen to you?

Well I better get off line so I can wait for the clinic to call me.
    Talk to you soon.
    Becky

Closed Thread