It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• PAINFUL ARMPITS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
    youngatheart

youngatheart HB User
    Arrow PAINFUL ARMPITS

I found this website by surfing the net for "lumps in armpit". I'm new to this site and am glad to find a place to ask questions. My story: I've had a small nodule under each armpit since I can remember . . . probably since puberty. After giving birth to my first son 29 years ago, my breasts engorged with milk and filled my underarms as well. Very painful. Since that time, my armpits have remained sort of puffy and tender if touched with any pressure and the nodules remained. Doctors have always said these are only lymphnodes or milk glands and not to worry. About 10 years ago I had an episode where my skin itched severely at night, I had night sweats and I developed a few growths beneath the skin inside my vaginal walls sort of like small, hard peas. My gynecologist said they're nothing to worry about, but sent me to 2 doctors for the itching (internal medicine and allergist) who both ruled out hodgkins, but my ANA blood levels were out of whack so they said it might be shingles or a compilation of symptoms with no diagnosis. Very frustrating. After a few months, the itching & night sweats disappeared on their own. Just last year, the nodule under my right armpit, for no apparent reason, grew huge, red and infected and for days I could express excessive amounts of pus and matter as it continued to refill. (Gross, huh). After that the nodule was gone, but the flesh is now puffier than the other armpit, and sort of detached (loose & saggy) and still tender to the touch. The other armpit appears normal with the exception of the small, rubbery nodule. Over the years I've developed a few more of those granular "pea-like" growths in my vagina and am still told they're normal. Then just a few months ago I began having pain next to my adams apple, on the right side one month, and the left side the next, and along with it I feel a little flu like (with no fever). There's no lump to be felt when it happens, but it's painful and lasts for a couple of days before returning to normal. I work out regularly (weights and cardio) and consider myself healthy with the exception of these symptoms that sometimes make me feel sick. I don't think I'm overweight if that's a symptom of anything (I'm 48, 142 lbs. at 5'6") but am worried that I have some type of cancer and the docors are missing it. Does anyone else have these types of symptoms or can some recommend what other steps I might take? Is there a specific type of doctor that I should go see?

[This message has been edited by youngatheart (edited 08-19-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 09:30 AM   #2
    mamu710

mamu710 HB User
    Hi youngatheart
    I don't have any answers for you but I thought I'd ask how you were doing. My mom and dad both have non hodgkins lymphoma so I am just browsing. I have however had painful armpits before. Not quite how you describe, but the lymph nodes have swelled from a virus also from my pores getting blocked.
    Anyway, let us know if you found out anything.
    mamu710

Old 09-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
    meeraboots

meeraboots HB User
    ive had swollen lymph nodes under my arms for about 5 years now (im 22). ive been to the docs several times and she just said they were from shaving. i sometimes get them in the genital area as well. i have no clue why i get these HUGE lymph nodes under my arms. they used to be HUMONGOUS and sooo swollen i couldnt even move my arms, now for abt a year or 2 they are not so painful. when i was taking birth control the lymph nodes would be so painful and huge but now that im off BC they are still always there but not painful. weird eh??

Old 09-27-2003, 10:51 PM   #4
    youngatheart

youngatheart HB User
    Thanks to both of you who responsded to me. I haven't been to the doctor yet as the nodes aren't swollen now. I'll go when my symptoms flare up again. I hope you're doing well. I don't take birth control pills, but maybe that's an indication that hormones are playing a role in it for both of us. Good health is wished to you from Florida. :-)

Old 11-26-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
    sparkey

sparkey HB User
    Re: PAINFUL ARMPITS

Hi
    I was browsing looking for armpit pain as I also seem to have hormonal pain in one armpit that stretches through into the breast. It lasts for about 2 weeks every month and is so painful, I wake up during the night with it and can't even cuddle my children. I was treated for edometriosis last year and my gynacologist says it is fine now. I am always tired, have "chocolate cysts" on one ovary which disappear from time to time, stomach cramps before a period, acne, and have had enough. Can anyone suggest anything t help me? I am nearly 40 years old and als had a tubal ligation last year as the pill was affecting my hormones.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:28 PM   #6
    tina71

tina71 HB User

Dear Youngatheart,

Have you checked with a dermatologist to see if what you have is Hidradenitis Suppurativa? I have a good friend who has this and her symptoms are very similar to yours.

Old 09-18-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
    guccilady32

guccilady32 HB User
    Unhappy Re: PAINFUL ARMPITS

I have the same problem my doctor told me it was normal. I do not believe it is fat because i am not fat. When i got pregnant 7 years ago, i had painful armpits and then milk came from them. i do not know what to do and i cannot even wear sleeveless or tight shirts because of it. I believe the doctors do not know what it is. my armpits hang and thats sad i need help ASAP.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
    neusport2001

neusport2001 HB User

Hello,
    I was also looking on here because I have a painful nodule that comes up every once in a while in my armpit. While I was looking I came across Furuncle, which seems to fit your signs and symptoms. The address was: adam.com/democontent/hie/ency/article Good luck with your search!

Old 08-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
    OTTOHILL
    (female)

OTTOHILL HB User
    Talking Re: PAINFUL ARMPITS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guccilady32
    I have the same problem my doctor told me it was normal. I do not believe it is fat because i am not fat. When i got pregnant 7 years ago, i had painful armpits and then milk came from them. i do not know what to do and i cannot even wear sleeveless or tight shirts because of it. I believe the doctors do not know what it is. my armpits hang and thats sad i need help ASAP.
    IM JUST WONDERING IF MAYBE YOU HAVE A SECOND SET OF BREAST UNDER YOUR ARM PITS HOW ELSE WOULD MILK COME OUT...

Last edited by OTTOHILL; 08-19-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
    mexico
    (male)

mexico HB User

Well, I donīt know if we are talking of the same thing, but
    I had 3 armpit tumors 2 years ago, they surgered them(just 2 of them) and were benign
    3 months ago in the same armpit I had 7 tumors extracted by surgery, 6 of them were malign, they diagnosed MALIGN MELANOMA-skin cancer and then they applied to me 2 treatments
    RADIATION-I WAS RADIATED WITH A LINEAR ACCELERATOR PHILLIPS
    6 RADIATIONS OF 600 CENTIGRAYS EACH ONE-TOTAL AS OF 3,600 CENTIGRAYS
    INMUNOLOGICAL THERAPY-INTERFERON OF 5 MILLION UNITS 3 TIMES A WEEK FOR 6 MONTHS, THE SHOOTS ARE APPLIED SUCUTANEUSLY IN MY ARM

Now I am finishing the Interferon treatment, even tought all the texts found in the internet says that 5 years survival is the inmediate objective, I am trying to think I will live 100 years more
    I am trying to be feed adequately, I am vegetarian but eating a lot of soybean products, like soymilk, tofu, peanuts, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables, a VEGAN DIET

I hope this works for me and for some others like you

I hope you donīt have a malign tumor, the only way to know this, as far as I know from my experience are 3
    ULTRASOUND
    BIOPSY
    TOMOGRAPHY

Ask an Oncologist or even an HEMATOLOGy-doctorīs of the blood, I think these both are the right ones to tell you this, but check with your family doctor first

I am NOT A DOCTOR, but have been studying all these for 9 months

Best regards

Mauricio from Mexico

Old 09-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #11
    besafe20
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

besafe20 HB User

while I was pregnant my armpits hurt and ever now and then I would find a tiny tender lump that would be there for a day or two and then go away. When I got to be 7 or 8 months along my left underarm got all fat and puffy but there were no lumps and it didn't hurt. When my milk came in and I was engorged I would get a huge painful lump in that same underarm which I learned was a milk duct. I have been fine since I let my milk dry up but wanted to say I believe hormones can play a role in this.

Closed Thread