It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Boils

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
    Jules_Seddy
    (female)

Jules_Seddy HB User
    Boils

ok ive been searching forever looking for help for this...

I have a friend, shes had 3 boils removed on her stomach and 1 on her leg all in the past id say 5 to 6 months.
    Lastnight she just told me this..
    "i have FIVE boils all on my left side one under arm n 4 below it "
    "it cant be my vitamin b12 levels she check em 2-3 weeks ago n it was good"
    I asked her if they ruled out a staph infection, she said her Doctor has never mentioned anything about it at all.
    Shes lost as to why shes gettin these all the time.
    Shes always hurting with pain cause of them.

Thought maybe looking around, someone could help me with this issue so that i can help her.

much appreciation for replies

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
    crisma
    Veteran
    (female)

crisma HB User
    Re: Boils

You might try to do a search on this,Hidradenitis Suppurativa. I have found lots of info on this. Also once she has a boil, there is stuff that any Wal-Mart carries called boil ease. It helps. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
    Jules_Seddy
    (female)

Jules_Seddy HB User

thank you very much i will tell her
    and will look up that area aswell

Old 11-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
    ellie40
    (female)

ellie40 HB User

Hi
    About 6 years ago I was having the same problem. I had huge nasty boils popping up under my arms, inner thighs, and back. They were so horrible and painful, I was miserable. I had many of them lanced open so they could drain which left me with bad scarring. Some opened on their own after applying warm compresses. I went to numerous doctors, internal medicine and dermatologists. They ran blood work, along with a diabetes test which came back negative. The dermatologist then lanced one of the boils open and took a swab sample of the contents (he also took a sample from inside my nose). The test concluded that I was a staph carrier (both samples came back positive showing staph). He explained to me that some people can carry staph topically on their skin, which in turn settles into plugged hair follicles, causing the boils to erupt. He suggested I try washing with a special liquid soap that surgeons use to scrub with before surgery (its a very strong antibacterial soap). I can't remember the brand I used but you can get it at any pharmacy. The only draw back was the smell, also it really dried out my skin. (It was a blue bottle and the soap was orange in color, I purchased it at Walgreens). I used it every day in the shower for about three months, and the boils cleared up and prevented new ones from forming. Since it was very drying to my skin the dermatologist said I could quit using it but to make sure I always use a antibacterial soap (I now use Dial soap) and have not had a problem since. I would suggest having your friend see a Dermatologist to have some blood work, diabetes testing done first to rule out any other factors that could be causing the boils. I know how awful these are and that they can make your life miserable. Hope this helps- Ellie

Old 11-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ellie40
    Hi
    About 6 years ago I was having the same problem. I had huge nasty boils popping up under my arms, inner thighs, and back. They were so horrible and painful, I was miserable. I had many of them lanced open so they could drain which left me with bad scarring. Some opened on their own after applying warm compresses. I went to numerous doctors, internal medicine and dermatologists. They ran blood work, along with a diabetes test which came back negative. The dermatologist then lanced one of the boils open and took a swab sample of the contents (he also took a sample from inside my nose). The test concluded that I was a staph carrier (both samples came back positive showing staph). He explained to me that some people can carry staph topically on their skin, which in turn settles into plugged hair follicles, causing the boils to erupt. He suggested I try washing with a special liquid soap that surgeons use to scrub with before surgery (its a very strong antibacterial soap). I can't remember the brand I used but you can get it at any pharmacy. The only draw back was the smell, also it really dried out my skin. (It was a blue bottle and the soap was orange in color, I purchased it at Walgreens). I used it every day in the shower for about three months, and the boils cleared up and prevented new ones from forming. Since it was very drying to my skin the dermatologist said I could quit using it but to make sure I always use a antibacterial soap (I now use Dial soap) and have not had a problem since. I would suggest having your friend see a Dermatologist to have some blood work, diabetes testing done first to rule out any other factors that could be causing the boils. I know how awful these are and that they can make your life miserable. Hope this helps- Ellie
    Hibicleans. It also has been helpful for some people with cystic acne.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

1. Dettol applied directly with a cotton ball works wonders on boils. Rub on all around the boil and for a few inches outside the boil area, 3x a day, you should see results in a few days. Hold the cotton ball on the boil for a few minutes but don't leave it longer because it can burn the skin. You can also put some in your wash water and wash all over with it. Dettol kills all kinds of bacteria.

2. Boost the immune system by taking zinc, selenium and vitamin D as well as an multivitamin pill daily.

3. Look for food alergies or things like perfume, or body lotions used by a partner who gets skin close.

4. Don't use antibacterial soaps, use only something really mild with no additives like ivory soap.

Last edited by orion; 11-25-2005 at 11:45 PM.

Closed Thread