It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board

• Headaches with dizzy spells!!!!! Please Help!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #1
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Question Headaches with dizzy spells!!!!! Please Help!!!

Hi, My husband has suffered from headaches almost daily for the past year, but last week he started getting dizzy spells along with the headaches. He gets dizzy even when he lies down. He said it feels like the room is spinning. I was wondering if this could be caused from his eyes? He wears glasses and thought maybe he needed to change prescriptions. My mom thought maybe low blood surger. He is so worried that he has an anurism (msp) in his brain, which I doubt. If anyone experienced this please respond. He is being hardheaded and won't go to a doctor. Thanks!! Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
    littlesheep1999

Wink

could be vertigo migranes.. i get that.. but i would tell him to go to the doctor as it is his health after all.. try to persuade him... make his appointment for him and tell him if he fails to go you will be charged.. good luck let us know

Old 01-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
    littlesheep1999

Question

any luck?

------------------
    donna

Old 01-09-2003, 07:38 PM   #4
    Amosquito

Amosquito HB User
    My headaches and pain level from fibro and getting physical therapy MAKE me get dizzy, usually not room spinning.

BUT, I do get room spinning vertigo like he's getting. I highly suggest getting a thorough exam hopefully including a neurologist who will do many tests to rule out things.

If it is termed "benign positional vertigo", he can have an experienced Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) doctor OR a physical therapist trained in it, do a maneuver called "Epley Maneuver" sometimes called HalPike Dix SP?

It moves the crystals in the ear canals back where they can go out of the system. May take a few times, like once a week for three or four weeks. It takes minutes, but will bring on the spinning IF the crystals are still there. I've had it several times and it's time again . .. I go this Wed. for a PT to do this Epley Maneuver to me.

My prayers are with him.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:51 PM   #5
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi and thanks for your replies. My husband hasn't seen a doctor yet, only because we have no insurance. He still gets dizzy a little, it did stop some and he still gets headaches which he had before the dizzy spells started. I really think the headaches are from his eyes. If he has the money, he will be going next week. Thanks again for ya'lls replies, I will keep you posted. Becky

Old 01-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
    littlesheep1999

Wink

cant you go to a hospital that helps people with not much money? is there such thing as credit? can you pay for your health etc over a period of time? i myself am getting all treatment free as i am in the uk BUT b/c of my ear nose and head probs i was refered to an ent and have to wait 2 years before being seen.. so i am going private in 2 weeks time 80 consultation and not sure what the price for tests. but we pay the 80 for the consultation there and then and if we need any further investigating then we pay for it over a period of time.. i worry about my health that much, so that is why i am not waiting a rediclous 2 years to find out whats causing all my probs.. there is only one ent in my area... i have to travel 100 miles to see a private ent and in that hospital there are 5

------------------
    donna

Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 PM   #7
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi Donna, We do have 2 hospitals here that see people here but you have to meet certain criteria. You have to make less than a certain amount in order to quailify. I'm thinking of taking my husband there but we will probably make a couple dollars over, but we still don't make enough to just go to the doctors. Even if we get seen there for free, we have to buy the medication because they don't give medication. I told my husband even if they see him, we can come up with the money for prescriptions, It's just hard paying for both. Just for an appointment is $75.00 not including test they do and other proceders.(msp) But I will at least try to see if we qualify. I'm so glad my kids have health insurance. All of thier appointments and medications are free. I'm also ging to try and see if I can go the the clinic too, I have Hidradenitis Suppurativa and I'm supose to be seeing a doctor regularly for my disease. Keep your fingures crossed that we qualify, I'll let you know what happens. Becky

Old 01-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #8
    littlesheep1999

Wink

hey i just thought...... have you got family or freinds that has health insurance and can your hubbie pretend to be that person.. loads of people do it.. also can you say you and your hubbie have split up and he only lives on what he got.. and also can you just go to the docs/hospital and get the treatment and then after you had all the treatment can you just say o dear i do not have enouth money and then what can they do?? anyway what ever way you do it.. GOOD LUCK let us know

------------------
    donna

Old 01-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #9
    littlesheep1999

Question

any luck?

------------------
    donna

Old 01-16-2003, 06:22 PM   #10
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi Silverwillow, I took my husband to the charity hospital and they said he has a virus thats been going around. The dizziness and headaches are caused from that. He is actually doing alot better. I so relieved because I was worried it was something else. We went this morning and got back this afternoon. It was so busy. Thanks for asking though. How have you been doing? Becky

Old 01-29-2003, 06:26 PM   #11
    Amosquito

Amosquito HB User
    HollyGirl:

If your husband gets the room spinning after this virus passes (BTW, he could take an over the counter med for motion sickness, in the BLUE box, but take half a pill, don't think I'm allowed to say the Brand name here, but the active ingredient is meclazine) same stuff the doctors give by prescription.

If it comes back in time, see an ENT who knows about "ear crystals" or "ear rocks". They do a maneuver by tipping him back and it moves crystals out of the ear canals into the body where they dissapate. 85% or some claim higher rate of cure, even if you have to have it a couple of times. Physical therapists who know about this Epley Maneuver can also do it - cheaper! They can also show your husband (or he could search on the net for) the Brandt Exercises and do this himself for free, it just takes a lot longer!

Hope it doesn't come back. But, these ear crystals are often caused from virus. Also, head injury, stuff like that. I got mine from a virus when I had what your husband's going through. NEVER had vertigo in my life and one night I just got it.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2003, 06:34 PM   #12
    hollygirl05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hollygirl05 HB User
    Hi Amosquito, Thanks for your advice. If he still has it after another week, I take him to an ent. He is still getting a few headaches here and there, but not like it was. Becky

Closed Thread